New Spinning reel – Help deciding what one.

• icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Put me down for pretty much anything Daiwa, I’ve got two tatulas and have had some excellent luck as well with their “cheaper” models, the fuego lt and the exceler lt. I used to be on the pfleuger bandwagon but after buying the tatula and comparing it the the supreme xt which were within 15 bucks of each other, there was no comparison imo, daiwa for me hands down.

mrpike1973

Upgraded to the Daiwa Fuego last year light and hold up. Have used the lesser priced Daiwas as well very good but with hard use meaning fishing a lot about 2 years they are wore out but for 60 bucks that’s OK with me. Really like the Fuegos though. I called a Place in MN that works on reels they said that would be one of the better ones and generally speaking something around $100 last much longer how ever with inflation could be $130 now doah sorry couldn’t resist

Sylvanboat

I am also a Daiwa fan now. Loved Shimano but their reels became too pricey compared to options.

CaptainMusky

Last year I started buying strictly Piscifun reels and have zero complaints with them.

Right they are great reels and a great price. I have 4 of their inline reels and they are MUCH better than the FreeFall I have. Hate that reel.
    The only issue I have with Piscifun is it can take a bit to get your reel. The last 2 I ordered took about 25 days to get. Not a major deal if you plan ahead, but something to think about. Plus they always have promotions going so you can get 25% off which makes them even more of a bargain.

duh queen

I’ve owned symetres for years and love them. I was able to determine the binding problem that plagues so many of them is caused by dust getting stuck between the tightly toleranced mating surfaces. Keep em clean and they spin effortlessly. That said, I needed another ultra light for crappies. Symetres went out of production several years ago, so I went with a pflueger. So far, no complaints….but it is on my #3 back up rod, so it doesn’t see the use/abuse I give my shimanos.

stevenoak

I have 4 generations of Stradics. Going back over 30 years to the original white ones with the double paddle handles. I’ve never had one repaired or worn out one. They may have replaced a spring during a tune up. Only bought the newer models because they were a little smoother, and who doesn’t want a new fishing reel. I bought a few Saharas for my wife. For 1/3 the price, they are a heck of a reel. She doesn’t fish a lot anymore, but never an issue with them either. Stradic does incorporate more expensive components. That you may or may not find important.
    If you find time. Check out “Salt Strong reel reviews”. They are a membership and retail supported company in Florida. They don’t take money from any manufacturers. They buy everything they test. They have several product reviews from several angles. Somewhat of a Consumer Reports angle.
    They have made me rethink a rod and reel set up. Most of mine are Stradic and Cumuras. 50/50 spit on cost about $220 each. They have found several reels in the $100 to $130 range that do everything you need. Some decent ones as low as $60 to $80. I bought a couple Fuegos to put on some new saltwater rods, more the $100-$200 split. I run 10# power pro, so only run about 3#s of drag. If you run 40 and set the drag to 10#. They find they get flex in the reel frame. That you wouldn’t get in a higher end reel. I like them for bait fishing. But for casting plastics, it’s hard to leave the Stradics at home. The attraction to the Fuego is it has “Mag-Seal” that protects it from the elements, and if the sand or salt gets it. It’s less than half the price.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I spoke with CS at Daiwa a few days ago. Great experience. I found out stuff I didn’t realize I needed to know. We talked mainly Revros ($50) and Fuego ($100). Chris was very knowledgeable and spent all the time I wanted to talk.

Fuego has “only” 2 differences from Revros:

1 – Mag Sealed body – designed for very dusty or salt water environments. (I don’t need).

2 – Handle is screwed into the main gear. Revros like my old Shimano’s uses a square shaft that slides through the gear with a “bolt” on the opposite side. I have some old Shakespeare Sigma/Supra that had that attachment. Very solid and zero slop. Very nice but worth $350??? – see later.

He told me that “The longevity of each model will be the same.” (They will wear out at the same rate.)

So I need 6 reels and extra spools.

Fuego – $100 + 30 extra spool X 6 = $780 +tax
    Revros – $50 + 8 spare spool X 6 = $348 +tax

I guess at less that half the price I go Revros.

stevenoak

If you buy a Fuego. Before you use it. Tighten the cap opposite the crank handle tight as you can with your fingers. Maybe add a little lock-tite. Second time I use mine the cap went missing. When I called a Diawa reel repair guy. Asked if he had parts for Fuegos. He said he was out of side caps, and Diawa was 3 months behind on getting them. Before I ever told him what I needed. Don’t think I was alone.

Reef W

Fuego has “only” 2 differences from Revros:

1 – Mag Sealed body – designed for very dusty or salt water environments. (I don’t need).

I have all Revros spinning reels. Two of them are on rods that don’t fit in the locker and get very dusty from driving on dirt roads without a cover. I swish them in the lake a couple times when I use them and they work fine lol

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.