New Sonar/GPS

• jake47
    WI

Ok, so I am a bit behind with this post, but I am intending on ordering a new unit tonight for my upcoming trip next week. I don’t fish like I used to (boat hasn’t been in the water in 2 years) but my old locator won’t power up anymore so I am in the market. Requirements:

GPS (Internal preferable)
    Down imaging
    Lakemaster compatible
    Under $1,000 with lake chip
    I-Pilot link (may never use, but would like the option)

Based upon this, I am leaning Helix 9 w/DI & GPS. Won’t be G2N or Mega, but for the little I fish, it will be a huge step up. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

At this point, I would try to fit side imaging in the budget.

jake47
    WI

I don’t know much about SI, but the few guys I know that have is say they don’t use it much. Is this more useful in a river setting? In what way do you use your SI that you think it would be useful to have? Thanks!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I use split screens on my favorites.
    1: gps and depth reading screens when traveling
    2: si di and sonar triple screen to locate fish
    3: di and sonar when anchored

Note: I also use a 360 transducer
    instead of the SI at times for option 2
    and the DI for option 3

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Jake, I’m kind of in the same boat and wavering between the Helix and a Simrad unit. I don’t think that you will be disappointed in the Helix unit. As you say, it is a step up from our old units. If my old unit was operating correctly, I wouldn’t even be shopping, so, all this fancy down and side imaging will be wasted on me.

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

If you are spending money the side/down image is a great tool. If you ever wonder what is that you are looking at on 2D, or what is that the fish are relating too, the side/down image is awesome. You can use them with the 2D on a split screen and really understand what and how fish are relating to structure.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for the help all! It’s hard to justify spending the $$ knowing these units will most likely be 1/2 price in 2 years or less. Technology is increasing so rapidly.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Try the Lowrance Hook 9 with a map chip for around $500 that leaves you money to buy some more fishing stuff……..

I would anty-up to the Side imaging or stick with GPS/Sonar instead of sonar and Down imaging. I find the SI being more of a tool than DI. the mega imaging is pretty darn sweet, more clear images

Jonesy

I would go with the Lowrance Elite 7 or 9 TI. 2d, DI, SI, GPS, TOUCHSCREEN all in 1 unit.

Until Humminbird offers touchscreen in the Helix Series personally I would never consider them unless you were set on having I-link. Everything we use now days has a touchscreen. Marking waypoints, changing settings, general interface usage is just so much smoother using a touch screen.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I bought a Helix 7 si/gps off craigslist for $500 earlier this spring. I was hung up on whether to spend the extra money on the SI or not.. trust me, its WELL worth it. Even Im surprised at how many more fish I’ve caught so far just by using the new (to me) technology. GPS makes fishing so much easier, while SI makes using the GPS so much easier.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Sorry I missed the post. I have a Helix 10 SI for sale within your budget. New last year. Let me know if you are interested.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for the offer Fife, but I just got the delivery notification that I have a Helix 7 SI sitting on my front porch now! I skipped the I-Link model because in all reality, I will likely need a larger boat (kids) before I ever put a new TM on. Good discussion!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How well do the touch screens work in the rain?

Jonesy

How well do the touch screens work in the rain?

I have had no problems with mine thus far but I can only think of 2 outings where it was raining on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.