NEW Otter X-Over flip overs

• mozy
    LQP

Really curious to see how much room there is in that Ranger house. Seems like it could be a pretty slick setup.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Otter makes a nice product, but what are these new rigs going to weigh? I go through woods, islands, and cover miles on foot to try and get to isolated spots on the river. I also refuse to sit over a hole without fish in it. Comfort is huge and Otter is a king in that department along with durability of sleds, but what about mobility for the run and gun style angler? …Or perhaps I’m just a stranger bird than originally believed.

Great shacks, but not my style. I’ll stick with my old uninsulated 40# flip over that glides so easily it hits the back of my boots on a 15’ harness. It also didn’t cost me $1000 shock

404 ERROR
    MN

Here is another new item for fall.

So now we need to buy a Polaris?! At least it’s a part of Polaris’ only American made UTV…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

That guy fishing looks alot like Dan Akroyd

JoeMX1825
    MN

Otter has been very consistent with their shack weights over the years, I doubt this years model changes more than a pound if even that…if mobility is your thing, then obviously none of these shacks (besides maybe the Hideout) will be for you…I personally love fishing in a t-shirt when it’s -5 outside…

I really like the SxS shack, I just hope the fabric is fireproof if putting it on a Polaris )

CaptainMusky

I really like the SxS shack, I just hope the fabric is fireproof if putting it on a Polaris )

No doubt!
    Side note, I know otter had “flame tested” their fabric years ago against the competition and while it did burn, the others went up in flames much faster.

Dan Baker

James,
    Can you have a wind pole in the back to block the wind and not have the front all the way down? Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s nice to have a wind block and still be in the open on warmer days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These shacks are online for sale now on otters website if you guys want to look at the pictures

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well I tried to buy one but non are in stock frown

CaptainMusky

James,
    Can you have a wind pole in the back to block the wind and not have the front all the way down? Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s nice to have a wind block and still be in the open on warmer days.

The front poles that go from the top to the bottom are adjustable. Just slide the adjustment up and it will hold the front of the shelter up

JoeMX1825
    MN

so how does the new “Quick Switch Frame” part attach to the lower frame pole and the frame junction piece on the tub? Plug & Cotter pin?

Nevermind, I found the video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAeMo6ap3k

Attachments:
    1. test-1.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So with the video I have a little confusion. Why does it have to switch back and forth. Is that for the strength. Is it not strong enough to keep it as just side doors or something ?

Fishtrekker
    Land of 10,000 Lakes

If I understood your question correctly, if you kept the poles configured in the side door position, you wouldn’t be able to fold the house back up.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

So with the video I have a little confusion. Why does it have to switch back and forth. Is that for the strength. Is it not strong enough to keep it as just side doors or something ?

It needs to be able to attach to the sled bracket in order to get stowed for travel correctly. It gets stowed the exact same way as before, you just need to snap that set of poles out of the sled bracket and into the post that is mounted on the pole frame that sits on the ice to turn it into side door entry.

It’s one of those things that sounds confusing on paper…. or i’m terrible at explaining it.

CaptainMusky

Simply put, if that pole doesn’t detach, you will not be able to collapse the house.
    I really like it! I was a fan of the Frabill model when it came out, now add this to an Otter, winner.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Look like some nice houses. I’ve had a lodge non thermal for quite awhile and am very happy with it. Compared to previous portables I owned its held up very well. Only downside is weight but then again I don’t pull it by hand unless it’s glare ice.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I currently run one of the Frabills with the side doors, and I must say kudos to Otter for figuring out how to get the setup/takedown essentially the same as a conventional flip over applause . Can’t say I plan on changing any time soon, but they’re a nice looking house!

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I currently run one of the Frabills with the side doors, and I must say kudos to Otter for figuring out how to get the setup/takedown essentially the same as a conventional flip over applause . Can’t say I plan on changing any time soon, but they’re a nice looking house!

X2….

Jamie Van Beek

can’t wait. gonna be getting the Thermal lodge at the ice institute.

Justin Larmay

I’m planning on getting one of these for the upcoming season. Dilemma I am having is I want the bench seat but am worried about that version only being 600 denier. Does anyone have experience with both the 600 and 1200? Is it a pretty big difference?

Dan Baker

I have the 600 on my cottage. I have never felt that it lacked insulation. I never get any dripping or condensation except occasionally on the windows. Sometimes the only heat I need comes from my Coleman Lantern. I don’t doubt that the 1200 is amazing, but I am personally amazed by the 600.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m planning on getting one of these for the upcoming season. Dilemma I am having is I want the bench seat but am worried about that version only being 600 denier. Does anyone have experience with both the 600 and 1200? Is it a pretty big difference?

imo it’s a big difference (I prefer the thicker 1200 for less wind flapping and better protection) You could just sell the seats and cross-bar and buy the bench and install it..

Jake
    Brainerd

For someone who does a lot of sight fishing will the side zippers leak more light in? or is there a small flap that would cover one side of the zipper? (like most jackets)

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The new Otters look great and I want one. When is Otter coming out with a connection sleeve to attach one house side door to another house side door? Or IDO might just need to make one for themselves (would be great for filming)

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Wow, the resort weighs in at 145lb!!!

shady5

I have sat in the new style now and am wondering about the decision to have the side doors open backwards vs. forwards. The reason I ask is it would be more convenient to have the zipper right next to you vs. having to lean forward/get up to work the zipper. Doesn’t seem like a big deal while sitting in the store, but we all know how things get crowded with multiple rods out, heater, flasher, etc. in the way. Thoughts?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Probably so wind doesn’t blow it open, traditionally set up a flip over with your back to the wind.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.