"New" Marcum flashers vs. the old line

• shockers
    Rochester

I apologize if this has been discussed previously. I searched and didn’t find a good summary thread.

But…is there any difference in the new Marcum flashers vs. the old line – other than they now use different letters? As in, Marcum M vs Marcum VX1 etc.?

hnd

M series is brushless – I’ve not seem many reviews on it
    the LXi series is the bigger flat screen flashers. – I’ve not seen a ton on those either even though they are older.

Slabhunter

Correct…the new M series is brushless so it does not make the “whirling noise” like all Vexilars or the previous Marcum V Series do. The LX Marcums are digital so of course so no noise with those…I switched to the LX7 4 years ago and it was the best move I’ve ever made for multiple reasons.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Correct…the new M series is brushless so it does not make the “whirling noise” like all Vexilars or the previous Marcum V Series do. The LX Marcums are digital so of course so no noise with those…I switched to the LX7 4 years ago and it was the best move I’ve ever made for multiple reasons.

The Vexilar FLX28’s are brushless also, just saying.

shockers
    Rochester

What’s “better” about brushless other than they’re quieter?

djshannon
    Crosslake

In theory
    a brushless motor will use less power.
    has nothing to ware out and need replacing (brushes).
    has a more precise wheel speed (digitally controlled) and hense an more
    accurate depth and separation.

This is all theory
    the proof is in the pudding…..

shockers
    Rochester

Ah. Ok. Curious if anyone has any real-world experience – though I assume too early to tell with the ‘new’ Marcum line yet.

Slabhunter

The Vexilar FLX28’s are brushless also, just saying.

Interesting…I fished with 2 other guys Sunday…one of them had the FL-28 the other a new Marcum M5…I had my LX7…the only unit making noise was the FL 28, we even talked about it and the guy who owns the FL-28 did not know and we all figured it was not brushless since it made the “whirling noise” like they all used to. BTW…we all caught fish so brand does not matter IMO…just a personal preference considering all the features/options.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

He said the FLX28 is brushless. waytogo

shockers
    Rochester

Sorry to recycle an old post, but last year when I asked this there wasn’t much real-world experience with the new M line from Marcum. And I couldn’t find much else when searching online for reviews.

So I’m curious to hear what those of you who’ve had a chance to use the Marcum M1 on the ice think – especially if you also have experience with the older Marcum VX1. Notice any “key” difference other than noise? Anything else better or worse compared to the VX1?

My son kept “borrowing” my old VX1 this last weekend when we were out, so I may have to “invest” in another base model Marcum unit (which is just fine for my purposes/use).

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

My brothers both have Marcums (I’m a Humminbird guy myself), one has the M5 and the other is an older VX1. I used the M5 this weekend for a bit and it seemed like a great machine. If you like the VX1, you’ll love the M5. Good clear image, plenty of options depending on the depth of water you are fishing etc. Of course, you could also find a refurbished VX series for a good price as well, if you are so inclined. As far as battery life goes, I think the M5 is slightly better the the old VX series, but if it is a big concern your best bet is still the Lithium Shuttle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.