New Jig Idea?!? Would love feedback!

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Over the past few months I have been tinkering with a swimming/gliding jig that I can fish with plastics and live bait. I have come up with something I like and it swims quite well. Would love feedback as I will probably go to market with it.

Also it is patent pending with a provisional patent (which is way too much work and way too expensive) but I wanted to try to protect it.

Any thoughts, feedback or criticizing would be much appreciated as I greatly respect the opinions of you IDO-ers.

{EDIT} Attached is both a photo of one of the sizes (1/8oz) and the color selection, along with a video of the swimming action.

Thanks!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Lindy makes a great swimming/gliding jig…

Attachments:
    1. LINDY-GLOFLYER.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Cool idea, and I would think that would work well! My first two thoughts were to use long shank hooks, as the glider portion seems to take up some room normally reserved for the plastic/minnow. And two what is the glider portion made out of? I’d be concerned about durability.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Love the idea! Only worry I would have is keeping plastics on the shank of the hook. Could benefit from some kind of plastic keep barb or hook.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Drop them off at my desk and I will let you know what I think. )

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Love the idea! Only worry I would have is keeping plastics on the shank of the hook. Could benefit from some kind of plastic keep barb or hook.

x2 or having the glider portion behind the hook/bait.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

May want to look at the Northland Forage Minnow……same deal but they use a lead swim fin.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

A very intriguing design with some very evident thought put into it’s creation. I have always loved baits that glided, especially for those finicky crappies, a good glide and flutter type spoon has always been a staple. I will take my feedback in a different direction from others thus far. I would be slightly concerned of the fins durability as other have already said. My main critique if you want to call it that is the profile and angularity that it presents with the fins. Being a person that has always been a big proponent of focusing on profiles I worry about the sharp/edge like structure. I could be wrong here but most of the things these fish are eating are typically shapes that are rounded, flexible often amoeba like. Although you do have some angular features in below water nature it is pretty rare, I think of maybe a crayfish when I consider that or a water bug with multiple legs. My critique is based on trying to think like a fish and seeing this bait from below or from the side, the most common profiles have soft and smooth contours. I can see the profile becoming a bit troublesome to figure out in nature.

This is by no means to say that it wouldn’t work, just a thought that I have. I commend you for the effort, time and money you have put into this and I hope it succeeds for you! If I came off as harsh, that was not my intention, just an opinion. At any rate good luck with your patent and good luck with selling the hell out of this product! Just never forget to look out for us poor IDO guys when you strike it rich and render all of my criticism null and void. Let us know how it goes.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The Bfishn’ jigs have a wire that bends back toward the head to keep plastics on. Simple and it works.

They look good!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Would need to have that fin a part of the lead, below the hook shank to allow for my plastic or bait to ride all the way up to jighead. To have this big shroom head, then thin profile fin, then the bait would look really goofy and unnatural.

Like the idea, look just as pec fins, good luck with it.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

This feedback is awesome. Thanks guys. Very helpful!

@bigwerm
    and @walleye1274 the bait keeper is a great point. The jigs will come in 4 sizes and the two larger sizes (1/4 and 3/8) have exposed bait keepers (see attached). Maybe in the future the smaller sizes (1/16 and 1/8) will but not for now. As for the hook shank length, that is a great point and probably something I will add. For testing though I found this jig swims best with 2-4″ baits and that is what I modeled the shorter shank after.

@cgschmidt

Durability has been my #1 concern since I started developing these. My guess is they haven’t been done because it is very tough to get a good bond between the fin and the jig. While I for sure don’t know it all and am learning everyday my day job is as a engineer so I have a background in materials and also testing. For lack of giving the magic away, the fins are made out of a impact resistant super plastic and the flat on the back of the ‘shroom’ head jig allows for a large contact bonding spot. If I take a jig in my hand and throw it (at about as hard as my noodle arm allows) on the concrete a few times I see no damage outside of a few minor paint chips. When I finally got the jig and fin to this quality I was happy moving forward. I have also done extensive life testing on these jigs in life accelerating test ovens to make sure I don’t lose bond over time and in high heat. They have also spent extensive time outside in the cold and out on the ice fishing and rattling around in tackle boxes. While you can never exactly predict what a jig will see in its life, I hope I have covered some of it.

@nhamm
    You are brilliant, some sort of molded in fin to the head would allow baits to slide all the way forward, that’s a great idea. I have not explored this at all…YET )

Keep the feedback coming!

Attachments:
    1. image3.jpg

2. image1-1.jpg

3. image2.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I love the way they swim and in the video it looks like when you let them drop to the bottom the jig stands on it’s head. If that is true I can see that being an awesome way to get walleyes feeding on blood worms and the like, or a smallie picking a leech off the bottom.

What type of hooks are on the jigs? It’s pretty important to me to have a good quality sharp hook.

I definitely like this idea toast

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

@sticker1

Yes, and this was another focus of mine. No matter how you swim or rip the jig when you let it fall to the bottom (even on a complete slack line) the jig will either stand on its head if your plastic or bait is lighter/smaller, or with a heavier/larger trailer the jig/bait stays propped up on its fins. The idea was to simulate a bait fish feeding or a blood worm muddling in the mud )

The hooks are quality hook too, the Black Nickel Mustad Ultra Points.

tim hurley

They look great but can we see vid in a pool or at least an aquarium?
    How do they look on a cast?

jime

I like the idea/performance …but..Longer shanks or “I’m Out”

tweed

Iowaboy1

make one fin a bit longer than the other on a few so they circle instead of gliding to the bottom.
    depending on the length of the wing on one side,you could have a wider circling,or a tighter circling.

if you really want to get carried away,make some circle left,and some that circle to the right by changing the length of the wing on that side.

go for it!! hope you do great!! if my ideas work send check to iowaboy1 at…..

Bassn Dan

Have you fished with them or just tank tested them?

I’d be concerned about the wings blocking the hookset.

Dylan Johnson
    Pequot Lakes Mn

Hey it’s the crazy jig! I follow you on IG!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Hey it’s the crazy jig! I follow you on IG!

You got it @dylanjohnson21 ! Thanks for the follow. I didn’t want to use this post to promote so I didn’t post any website/social media links. The post was meant to get feedback and the feedback was great and I appreciate that.

@BassnDan

Yes they have been fished with a lot! It’s hard to say the effect the fins have on hook sets but we did make them out of a rubbery plastic material for that reason.

Bassn Dan

Sounds good that the wings are flexible regarding hooksets.

Are these intended to be permanently attached to the jigs, or are they an add on piece?

Have you tried different jig head shapes? An Ultra head with a flat planing bottom surface might be a good match – or not.

Dylan Johnson
    Pequot Lakes Mn

When are they going to be sold?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

@dylanjohnson21

When are they going to be sold?

They went on sale Monday and were 95% sold out besides a few colors and sizes in 12 hrs. We are restocking as fast as we can and will have them available in 2 weeks.

@BassnDan
    Yes good point, we have tried nearly every jig head shape under the sun. You should see the pile in my basement ha. There are two things that drove the decision to go with this shape. 1) We wanted the jig to always stand up when it glided to the bottom and never tip over no matter if you used live bait or a plastic. 2) Some other jigs glided more but we didn’t want the bait “over gliding” as I didn’t find that realistic. So we shot for a happy medium.

Josh Bothum

Wow, I really like the look and action in that video you posted vs the 1st video you posted in the “control environment”… Nice job!

jime

Josh,

For my needs I would like a much long shank.

Early walleye jig fishing I like to hook the shiner
    further back in the shiner…out the shiners gill and then
    through the body

With the short shank and small gap: it is a no go for me.

tweed

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Plain out it looks like a fancy redneck lure. Don’t get me wrong, I’m well versed and proud of my own redneck creations but even with nice videos and fancy pics, at the end of the day it looks like a regular jig with a hunk of plastic on it. And 2 for $6 I wouldn’t even pick it up in store.

Really cool concept as I’ve said before, wish the absolute best but just doesn’t have a “finished” look to me. In reality it doesn’t even matter what I think, could catch fish like crazy, just feel it might not appeal to the greater crowd for reasons stated.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.