New hookless bait for pike

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I caught my first ever pike after work yesterday without hooks while jigging for bluegill. I was dumbfounded when I felt a bite on the hand holding my Troller rather than the rod in my other hand. After quickly yanking the transducer out of the hole out popped a 28″ pike with it’s mouth clamped down hard on the cone. Can you top that?

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Now thats pretty impressive! I’ve seen them caught on the brightly colored clamp on weights for depth checking but the transducer is a new one.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

If he bit the cord and it leaks that could be the worlds most expensive decoy. Good job anyway.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

If he bit the cord and it leaks that could be the worlds most expensive decoy. Good job anyway.

I’m afraid to look when I get home. It was dark and I didn’t inspect it yet but felt a tear in the cable and when I tried adjusting the sensitivity it shuts itself off. I’m hoping that was just from the AA’s low or not seated properly after the jolt. I did have enough time to test the same adjustments hooked up to a big battery at home and it didn’t do that. Just paid $60 to have my Troller v1 serviced, they replaced it with a new v2 and it’s only the 3rd time I’ve used it.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

It’s only a matter of time before somebody will come on and say it’s a warranty issue I bet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just checked. Nothing in the DNR rules for catching fish on transducers. )

I’m sure you’ll be seeing something in there next year. LOL!

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Just checked. Nothing in the DNR rules for catching fish on transducers. )

I’m sure you’ll be seeing something in there next year. LOL!

I was waiting for the “pike season is closed” comments. Why is it that when you have hooks they get off and when they don’t they flop right out of the hole?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Transducer fishing stamp in the works….

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Another rare ice fishing happening. I was fishing next to a buddies portable shack in the backwaters of the sippi. We were fishing in about 3fow, with a pretty good pan fish bite going on. My bud had 2 holes in his shack, but was only fishing one hole. All of a sudden there was hooting and hollering then laughing. My Bud comes out of the shack with about 3lb. Large mouth bass…When he set the hook the fish took off and jumped up thru his other hole and landed in his shack.!!! …rrr

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Caught a 48-50 inch muskie on a walleye spinner rig once. When I got her in the boat I found the hook on the outside of her mouth and she wasn’t hooked. Just holding on to the spinner. No pictures though, so its just a fish story doah

curleytail

That’s pretty good! We were catching fish off a crib years ago. Muskies often frequented the cribs. One day we had a musky grab a gill we were reeling in. Lowered a Cabelas camera to see the action. After a minute the musky bit through the line, and almost immediately attacked the camera. Just a regular Cabelas black camera, didn’t look like a fish or anything.

My buddy started hand over handing the camera cable and had the fish up to the hole. It finally let go when he bumped it’s nose on the ice trying to get it started. That would have been a musky out of season, but not on hooks or a lure, so we might have been ok to take a picture before the release!

I also had a large mark following an open water crappie up as Ireeled it in. Grabbed the crappie out of the hole, and a split second later something grabbed my transducer and gave it a tug before letting go.

Sometimes it makes you wonder how these fish can be so hard to catch doesn’t it?

Good story – first I ever heard of actually landing a fish on something like a transducer!

Tucker

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.