New Grill Came Dented

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just got a new RecTeq 590 and it came with a pretty good dent on the barrel. Trying to decide what to do. Customer service has been very helpful so far and took my pictures and said they would compensate me if I tried to fix the dent myself or just live with it. Don’t love the idea of my brand new grill at $899 having a big dent but maybe I could live with it for a decent discount.

Any ideas on how to bend it back? Or could that potentially make it worse? It does seem like a quality build so the metal doesn’t flex easy.

Attachments:
    1. 35849442-332B-493A-98B6-B764FC4BD7F3-scaled.jpeg

2. A7CE8C7F-93C1-4D58-A815-DE46BA1E4915-scaled.jpeg

3. F0DD095E-BD56-4BBE-A163-19E8EBEADFDF-scaled.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You ain’t straightening that, send it back.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Is open on the inside? If so I would use a block of wood and either a dead blow hammer or like a 4lb sledgehammer. Otherwise I would tell them to send a new one and send it back.

Umy
    South Metro

Send me a new one – no hesitation
    It will ALWAYS bug you as long as you own the grill.
    For $900 she better be perfect

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If it still functions and you can live with it. Ask for half off? I think I could live with that. Up to you though.

CaptainMusky

Which company delivered it? If it was Estes they are notorious for that. I would make Recteq send you a new one. They will likely do that, but that would urine me off to no end. When I got my bullseye 3 of the bags of pellets were torn, but it wasnt that much loss that I even complained about it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dead blow and a block of wood. If the discount is half off I would go that route. If not I’d ask for a new one

big_g
    Isle, MN

Me… I would get it straightened about 90% and take the $400 I would demand off for the dent and buy about 20 big Ribeye’s to enjoy and test if it still works as good ! waytogo peace Its all about your personality, are you more about form or function ! wave

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

He paid for form & function. If he wanted a dented POS he could have found a used one.

big_g
    Isle, MN

He paid for form & function. If he wanted a dented POS he could have found a used one.

He paid $899 for form and function… would he have bought a new one scratch and dent for $499… that is the question and he asked it !! Its not used coffee

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’m in the “keep it for half-off” camp. If it’s functional, and if there is access inside, use a port-a-power with a full length block of wood to brace against the good end.

lindyrig79

Which company delivered it? If it was Estes they are notorious for that. I would make Recteq send you a new one. They will likely do that, but that would urine me off to no end. When I got my bullseye 3 of the bags of pellets were torn, but it wasnt that much loss that I even complained about it.

It was Estes.

Gitchi Gummi

Half off? Tell them you’d keep it for $100. It is a brand new product that you dished out almost a grand for. You take a huge hit if you ever try to resell it. It will cost them a lot of money just to ship it back and ship you a new one, not even considering the cost of a new grill for them. They’re just going to scrap it for parts once they receive it back, so it is a sunk cost for them. Tell them you’ll keep it for $100 or to send a new one.

CaptainMusky

It was Estes.

Grr, you have to think they could find someone better to do this for them. That is really the only thing people complain about with recteq is product coming damaged from shipping.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Half off? Tell them you’d keep it for $100. It is a brand new product that you dished out almost a grand for. You take a huge hit if you ever try to resell it. It will cost them a lot of money just to ship it back and ship you a new one, not even considering the cost of a new grill for them. They’re just going to scrap it for parts once they receive it back, so it is a sunk cost for them. Tell them you’ll keep it for $100 or to send a new one.

What is the market for a “used dent free grill ?” The used grills I see are all along the lake, by the roadside with a FREE sign on them. People in the market for a used grill, will hardly be bothered by a dent. coffee doah jester

this thread makes me laugh.. sorry !!! crazy rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So G, you make your fortune in Hawaii and back at the lake full time?

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Just got a new RecTeq 590 and it came with a pretty good dent on the barrel. Trying to decide what to do. Customer service has been very helpful so far and took my pictures and said they would compensate me if I tried to fix the dent myself or just live with it. Don’t love the idea of my brand new grill at $899 having a big dent but maybe I could live with it for a decent discount.

Any ideas on how to bend it back? Or could that potentially make it worse? It does seem like a quality build so the metal doesn’t flex easy.

Well, I ordered the same grill and it’s supposed to be delivered today. Hopefully I don’t have the same problem but I am nervous. Honestly, I would probably send it back or it better be almost free!!

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Yeah that’s the only issue, they use Estes and they are known for issues.
    I got a 590 a month ago and if it was like that I’d probably return it. Whatever you decide their customer service is top notch and will make it right.

JEREMY
    BP

I would return it. No matter how good you get the dent out its gonna stare you in the face everytime you use it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yeah, the wife wanted off the rock again !!! doah jester wave

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just purchased 8 new dinner plates and all were broken.
    Looked like a 1st grader packed them.

This is what my stairlifts look like when I get them from Canada.
    I rip on the my Rep and he said “we’ll we use only the finest cardboard” good grief. flame

Attachments:
    1. 665ECA31-5788-4673-8E8D-4487F4A4A631-scaled.jpeg

2. 7872459E-C62A-498F-9B1D-302081CDC6AB-scaled.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Yeah, the wife wanted off the rock again !!! doah jester wave

Going back to Mackay?

Gitchi Gummi

What is the market for a “used dent free grill ?” The used grills I see are all along the lake, by the roadside with a FREE sign on them. People in the market for a used grill, will hardly be bothered by a dent.

this thread makes me laugh.. sorry !!!

I don’t really care if there is a used grill market or not (there is for nice grills like webers btw). My point was I’d tell RecTeq every reason I can think of why I’m not accepting a damaged product for anything but bottom dollar.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Estes just delivered my 590 yesterday. When the driver went to unload it his lift gate wouldn’t work. Nice! He and I (both old geezers) had to lift a 211# large box off his truck. The box had a few rashes, but looked ok. Fortunately it was in perfect condition. When ever I order something that is delivered by truck, if it has any obvious sign of damage, I don’t except it. If you decide to try and fix it I would first remove the electronics.

Mike m

Thats the side where the grease bucket hangs , I bet you’ll hardly notice it . For the right discount Id keep it . I have that same rec tec , youll love it .

lindyrig79

That’s the weird thing the box really wasn’t that obviously damaged or anything. And it would have taken quite a hit to dent it that badly.

Agree the grease bucket will hang there and I could probably overlook it for half off pretty easy. My biggest concern is the electronics with taking that big of a hit.

He did offer to send a new control box (which is the electronics) but at this point it is still unresolved. I will call again tomorrow and make a final negotiation or send it back. Was so excited to receive it but it’s kinda turned into a cluster. Still all in pieces in my garage as I wasn’t sure if it is going back or not so I didn’t assemble it.

Hopefully we can get passed it and then smooth sailing.

Coletrain27

That’s the side where the grease bucket hangs yes, but don’t the req tecs have a lip right there inside the grill where the drip pan sits on? If it’s all dented up the grease may not flow through there like it’s suppose to on the channel. That’s the way my old traeger and green mountain is anyway

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

It almost looks like it was dropped on that end. Right on the grease outlet. Or they hit it with one of the forks. I don’t understand how these shipping companies get away this crap. They must just claim it on their insurance? Anyway, Im sure Recteq will make it right, and you’ll be happy.

I had an evaporator and condenser delivered, and I just laughed that the driver would even attempt to deliver it. I don’t know what they stacked on to of it, but it was heavy

Attachments:
    1. E91AE2E6-1346-4757-AAFE-C4A9FFF0D7A7-scaled.jpeg

2. 6D277842-78CD-453D-9404-E79883916E8F-scaled.jpeg

3. 98CCAA85-7C11-42AE-9C0B-7E69136F13DE-scaled.jpeg

B-man

If it’s half off and functional I’d go with it waytogo

I’d happily buy a brand new truck with huge dent in the box for 50% off

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.