New Graph and Transducer ?s

• amlavold
    Wisconsin

I currently have a fairly old graph on the dash and plan on updating to a 10 or 12″ Ultra and GT56 transducer. I do not have anything on the bow right now and based on fishing style I don’t have a much need for one. It was recommended that I add a high speed transducer as well. Thoughts on this and what is the benefit or what do I gain? If yes, any suggestions on a which one? Are you able to plug 2 transducers into an Ultra or are 2 units networked together needed accomplish this? Looking to know what I’m getting into prior to moving forward. Thank you!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The GT56 is the newest transducer to my knowledge and I do not know what they are talking about adding as that is all you need unless your adding livescope.

Onthewater

You would need the in hull gt8 and a gt36 side scan transducer if you want to run both. The 36 is the same as the 56 without 2d. The 56 will not work with another transducer.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Are they recommending the high speed ducer to read depths at speed? If you install the gt56 correctly it should still read.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

Yes, I believe the reasoning was around the gt56 not reading at higher speeds. Sounding like I’d be all good with just the gt56.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

I guess asked another way, if you were updating graphs and going with Garmin and only looking at a larger unit on the dash what unit and transducer(s) would you go with? Not looking to connect with trolling motor or anything at this time but could see upgrading the trolling motor down the road and would go with a Garmin for that purpose. I suppose keep the option of adding an additional unit down the road as well.

Onthewater

The problem with setting up a side imaging transducer for the best reading while on plane is it might not be the best position for your SI readings. You want your transducer parallel with the water line of your boat at scanning speed. Lots of boats have bows that sit higher in the water off plane than while on pad at 40 mph. That that changes the angle at the transducer. I want the best imaging so I have mine set for that with an in hull. If you go with the single and have trouble with depth at speed the down imaging usually doesn’t lose bottom as much as 2d.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If you only want one mostly on the dash I would go as big as you can. You will never wish you bought a smaller one. I would still run the gt56 transducer. Another thought could be getting two 9” units. Then you could run both ducers if you wanted plus have more screen. No clue if that would make sense for your use though.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

If you only want one mostly on the dash I would go as big as you can. You will never wish you bought a smaller one. I would still run the gt56 transducer. Another thought could be getting two 9” units. Then you could run both ducers if you wanted plus have more screen. No clue if that would make sense for your use though.

That’s certainly something to consider, I might like that idea. Thanks all for the comments.

Fowldreams55398

Starting March 7th Cabelas/Bass Pro have Garmin Echomap Ultra 126 for $1499.97 with the GT54 ducer. Pick this up and buy GT56 ducer separately for just under $400. You won’t regret this set-up. Add livescope later and enjoy the larger screen.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My GT54 can read depth up to about 32mph… so IMO it really is a high speed ducer. Anything faster than about 25 I’ve got my eyes on course, not on graph anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.