New Boat Thursday!!

• TripleA
    Blaine

WOW! Swwet boat! I am excited to see the Garmins in action on your show. I have seen a little about them and already would consider them over the competition in the future.

mojogunter

I know Josh from Thorne brothers was trying out the new garmin stuff as well. It will nice to hear from several people how they like it.

Rafter 8

Thanks James. I’ll go your way and stop fighting it. Truth is I don’t use the side imaging enough to worry about the shadow anyway. Once more, thanks for your help!

Paul Delaney

James

The new Skeeter looks very sharp I like the colors and moving forward with some new electronics should be exciting. I am interested in seeing the new changes coming for 2016. I look forward to our next assignment on the water which I hope comes sooner than later until then enjoy your summer and say hello to dave and joel for me and have a wonderful time on Lake of The Woods.

Paul Delaney

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Wow! Very sharp!
    I also checked out the Garmin electronics and the image seemed so sharp and bright compared to the other two it was amazing.
    Have fun breaking her in! Hope Joel doesn’t treat it like he does the front of his IDO hoodie!

Happy Fourth!

Happy to report that I didn’t break anything (that I know of) and it’s a sick-looking AND fishing boat!

Joel

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Happy to report that I didn’t break anything (that I know of)
    Joel

I’m sure we will hear some digs in the upcoming months on what damage was really done, Joel. tongue

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Joel

What did James do, Joel handcuff you to a fishing chair in the boat? Heard those new Skeeter’s come loaded with everything! whistling

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Joel

What did James do, Joel handcuff you to a fishing chair in the boat? Heard those new Skeeter’s come loaded with everything! whistling

I made him drive the boat during trolling passes and I’m happy to report not one single item got broken, stepped on, tipped over or tossed over the side during our time fishing together! And I got to fight a bunch of fish too. Best of both worlds…

Thanks for all the compliments on the boat guys. I’ve been fighting to get caught up after last week’s vacation but I will revisit this thread and answer as many questions as humanly possible once I get dug out a bit… and get back from Lake Superior! I’m headed out to fish the big lake later tonight.

Having a second trip under my belt to a completely different body of water will provide some additional perspective on the new boat. I know there’s been a few people wanting to know how the WX 2190 compares to the MX 2025 and right now I’m still in the “this all feels really new and different” phase of boat ownership. After a couple more days on the water I should be able to provide some insights on what I like and what I would have done differently.

I’m 8 hours from hooking up to my 2190 and heading north to chase around some big lakers! Wish me luck. A report will follow upon my return.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m 8 hours from hooking up to my 2190 and heading north to chase around some big lakers! Wish me luck. A report will follow upon my return.

Impatiently waiting for that report.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

James,

Are you happy with the Xi5 so far? Will that connect to a Garmin?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James,

Are you happy with the Xi5 so far? Will that connect to a Garmin?

So far, very happy. The spot lock is much improved and I really like the jog feature. I can’t comment on the durability of the motor yet but time will tell on that. So far, so good.

As for the interface with Garmin…my understanding is the Lowrance exclusive with MG for that functionality will expire at the end of the year and garmin will offer an interface with their sonar units after that. But that’s just what I’ve been told by people that should be in the know. That said I haven’t seen anything official verifying that timeline.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bfa738850-9a7a-11e3-d5f4-000000000000%7D
    According to the garmin link above you can connect to the xi5 transducer with an adaptor cable.
    Now, I dont know if there has to be another interface in order to have to talk to the brains of the trolling motor.

You can connect the transducer to a Garmin unit for sonar only, but it doesn’t communicate at all with the mapping etc.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bfa738850-9a7a-11e3-d5f4-000000000000%7D
    According to the garmin link above you can connect to the xi5 transducer with an adaptor cable.
    Now, I dont know if there has to be another interface in order to have to talk to the brains of the trolling motor.

You can connect the transducer to a Garmin unit for sonar only, but it doesn’t communicate at all with the mapping etc.

Correct. I understood the question to be about this type of interface between Xi5 and chartplotter linked below.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/News/Lowrance-Partners-With-MotorGuide-to-Launch-PinpointConnect/

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Thanks Ben that makes sense.
    Garmin has been making there units user freindly for a long time but this new technoligy I think I need an interface to my old and used brain to keep up with it all.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

James care to give us some first impressions on the motor guide? Looking for info like. Is the spot lock that much better? Battery life compared to minnkota? Any other info you feel is necessary to know before purchasing one? I currently have a minnkota terrova I-pilot and the spot lock feature IMO is not that great. I feel it wanders too much. Thanks

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Tim, check out James comment above about the spot lock. I have heard the same from others as well. I can’t imagine battery life would be any different.

So far, very happy. The spot lock is much improved and I really like the jog feature. I can’t comment on the durability of the motor yet but time will tell on that. So far, so good.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.