New Boat Owner- Advice on a few upgrades and needed items

• ritz9876
    Maple Grove, MN

Hi All-

After a few year hiatus I am happy to report that I am a boat owner once again (2006 Tracker Pro Guide V-175). Now I am in the middle of what I like to call the “upgrade phase,” of boat ownership. Everything on the boat was stock. Here is what I have added so far:

Bimini Top (for the kids)
    Lowrance Elite 7-HDI
    Swing Tongue for trailer
    Cabelas brand lifejackets (on sale right now online for $12.99)

Here is what I would like/need to add:
    2 battery on board charger
    Ropes
    Anchor

Any advice on where to find good values on the needed item? Is there anything else I should have on the list that I am not thinking of yet?

Thanks All!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Add a terminal cutoff switch to both the batteries for storage.

Does the outboard already have a water seperator? If not, add one. Personally, I would slam dunk it with a Racor unit. Buy right, buy once. Note that a water seperator is NOT the same as a fuel filter. They can be combined into one unit, but a filter is only a filter.

If you don’t have an emergency tool kit, now’s the time. Personally, I like those pre-fab kits that have wrenches, basic socket set, screwdrives, etc all in one kit.

Add a hand-held spotlight and a good flashlight.

Make sure you have a lug wrench that fits the trailer lugs. Obviously, a spare tire is a must have.

Buy a charger for your cell phone AND a spare and leave them on-board. Dead cell phones make no calls.

Also have a spare set of keys, matches/lighter, and first aid stuff in a waterproof container.

SECRET X
    JANESVILLE WI

I carry a plastic paddle and air horn in my boat as well.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Get a 3 bank charger than all your batteries (assume 24v bow and start batt) get charged at the same time. Not much more money and never have to worry if the cranking battery is going to be charged. Minnkota has a great charger I’ve had 3 now and all worked awsome

Digger anchors are nice check them out

Might want to put a saftey kit in the boat. Cabelas has them in the boating area. Kind of a bucket thing with a tow line signal mirror whistle and other stuff. You need it if you go to Canada or great lakes

ritz9876
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the input. The list has grown quite a bit!

I think I only need a 2 bank charger as it came with a 40lb thrust trolling motor that I plan to swap out for a 55lb.

As far as a water separator, I have to be honest, I haven’t heard of this before. How could I tell if it has one, and is it easy for me to install myself?

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.