new boat locator

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

seriously thinking of getting a new locator. a hummingbird with lake chip abilities. i just got back from Scheels. most the helix 7’s come with either down or side imaging. i dont really know if i want either. if i dont go that route its back to a 5 inch screen.

to those that have the down imaging is it really worth the extra 400 bucks for down imaging and the 7 inch screen???????

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

7″ is always better than 5″.

toddrun

Biggest screen you can afford, especially with down/side imaging. On my 9″, a walleye on side imagining is like a grain of rice, hard to see.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I got a 7 at Fleet Farm year before last with just sonar. It was a Gen 3. I use that on the bow on the TM. Same feeling as you, just didn’t need the extra “stuff”. They are available…

Michael Best

Cabela’s has Helix 7’s with SI for $550 which is cheaper than what Scheels is showing for the DI helix 7.

MX1825

seriously thinking of getting a new locator. a hummingbird with lake chip abilities. i just got back from Scheels. most the helix 7’s come with either down or side imaging. i dont really know if i want either. if i dont go that route its back to a 5 inch screen.

to those that have the down imaging is it really worth the extra 400 bucks for down imaging and the 7 inch screen???????

Size does matter glenn. Ask your wife. whistling

Stanley

If you’re stuck on hummingbird then yes the 7” is better for all aspects beside the imaging than the 5”. For about the same money or cheaper you could get a garmin 93sv with the gt54 transducer. Then you would have the same as hummingbird but with a 9” screen and no map chip to buy if you don’t have one already.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

MX…… devil rotflol she’s happy…..i think!!!! doah

man you guys are making it tough…..not hooked on any brand just not thrilled that i need the imaging……

what does down imaging do that makes it so one wants it that bad for the money. ?????

i wont have an issue buying the chip…..my buddy has one he’s sell me for 60 bucks….his wife upgraded him with one with LOTW’s and red and is only 2 years old the one he’d sell to me!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Glenn you can get the 7 with GPS and none of the other options.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn you can get the 7 with GPS and none of the other options.

where??? SCHEELS made it sound like its not available…at least thats how i interpeted him.

Jason

Glenn
    You can buy all of these units on Amazon as well if you dont want to find one in the store..

Hoyt4
    NULL

Helix 8 are also on sale with Cabelas has mega side and down imaging. I just picked up. GEN4 going to obsolete is what I was told for the sale. I picked up last week.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Humminbird and the bird outlet store.We have Farm and Fleet stores here in WI.and the one here in town had a couple on the shelf.
    If you google it several places come up you can check.

Umy
    South Metro

Really the only times I actively use my Birds are when I’m on the water on a

new lake checking out the map

to see where I want to fish and getting there safely ( have the map up on my dash) and everything color coded to depth or on Rainy lake cause there’s just too many places where the rocks are just under the surface.
    Dash has side imaging which I will use occasionally if I am sitting at the dash ( usually only when I go to Rainy by myself and am looking actively for

NEW

areas to fish).
    Otherwise 12″ on the bow with DI and I fish 85+ % bass from my bow so I only use it to watch the bottom to see what’s under me. Spend very little time looking at screens and majority of the time throwing lures.
    Honestly, I don’t use my graphs alot. Really to keep me safe on unfamiliar waters or to find the flat or drop off I am looking for.
    I spend most of my time throwing lures or working docks. NOT looking at graphs to see fish to go find.
    Could DEFINITLEY use them more and more effectively but once I get to where I am going, I’m just fishing.
    I’m just there for the act- catching is a bonus – it’s that simple for me.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If your not Brand loyal the Lowrance Hook 7″ is around $240-$300 and has fish ID that is cool. It makes fish a different color on the graph to make them stick out in weeds and structure.

10klakes

search 2d vs DI on google images, lot of examples of how it helps see structure. SI is even better for structure. Bigger the screen the more you will see. If you only have one screen at the steering wheel or tiller, go as big as you can since you will probably have maps and 2d in split screen while running across the lake.

I have a 9″, and I wish that was a 10″ some days for split screen use. Pretty much need the whole screen for SI if you don’t want fish to look like specs of rice.

Garmin is a great alternative for a little, cheaper. Hummingbirds maps are usually superior though.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m seriously considering buying a 12″ just for the chart capabilities. I ran 9″ screens for the SI and it worked but I would have liked 10″ screens. I run a 7″ now. However, my eyes aren’t getting any younger.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

$200 rebate on Helix 7 G4N now. $500 on a Helix 9.

Megs Side (comes only with down too) gets a BIG THUMBS UP from me. Mega down I don’t need. I have a Helix 5 portable, Helix 7 DI on the front of my boat and a Helix 9 SI/DI on the console. No one ever said I wish I bought a smaller one. I plan on ordering another Helix 9 for megalive before rebate ends. BUT wondering if I should get a 10.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

No one ever said I wish I bought a smaller one. I plan on ordering another Helix 9 for megalive before rebate ends. BUT wondering if I should get a 10.

Didn’t you just answer your question in your previous sentence?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i was alerted to the fact that Cabelas has them on sale, so i and da misses are taking a road trip wed!!! whistling waytogo

FF had them in the flyer…….but they dont have Jacksheet on the shelves…..i was there yesterday.

going with the 7 but not decided yet on the side or down imaging…….if you had the choice between one or the other……which one?/

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My biggest advice Glenn is to get the brand that you’re used to running. If you’ve had hummingbirds, then get hummingbirds, If you have used Lowrance stay there. Learning a whole new system is a real pain in the butt. I bought a helix nine a couple years ago after being a Lowrace guy for so many years i started with a green box and then a yellow box and then a paper graph and all the other models they had and I still have trouble learning that hummingbird. Hate it!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

SI over DI any day. Much more valuable info.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

thanks Wade!!!!!!! waytogo

3rd guy……i’ve played with my buddies bird enough to feel comfortable with the switch, even for an old feller!!!!!! rotflol waytogo

MX1825

glenn I don’t think you can SI without DI.

OG Net_Man

I am not sure of why you would not want side imaging unless you are just dead set on getting the cheapest model available. A 7″ model with side imaging would be considered small and harder to see fish then on a larger model. But rocks and weeds (weed edge) surely standout well even on a 7″ side imaging screen and would be easier to see/find than with just 2d or di.

The Helix is a good model but I would suggest going with the Garmin Echomap series instead. The touch screen of the Echomap is just easier and friendlier to use then the Helix. Also the Echomap comes preloaded with lake maps and you would not have the added cost of buying Humminbird maps. If you fish multiple areas then the Hummingbird MN, Lake of the Woods, Wisconsin and Dakota maps all start to add up and get a bit expensive.

The Garmin Striker series is even less expensive and has the preloaded lake maps but I do not believe that it is touch screen.

Even when comparing the exact same model the prices vary drastically from one place to another as well as varies throughout the year. Shop around and I would not hesitate to purchase last years model unless you may desire a specific new feature.

If you are going to Cabelas then they surely can point out the differences. I would not purchase from Cabelas at the store unless you checked pricing at other sellers for the model desired. You can always order it online from Cabelas later in the week if you find their pricing is good and get free shipping.

10klakes

Hummingbirds are eligible for a factory MAIL IN rebate. According to Cabela’s website they don’t have a specific in-store sale. Unless it’s just not listed on line. All dealers have the rebate, whether it is a big box store or a small boat rigging shop.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Went down to the Cabelas in Roger’s and pulled the pin. Happy union retirement benefits to me.

Got a good deal on the shells to. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20240320_144058-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.