New ATV suggestions

• roger

As a newer Polaris owner, stay away from Polaris! Pretty cheap junk! More cost savings junk to line pockets!

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Wow, a lot of Polaris issues ya’ll are having.

We have 6 2016+ Sportsmans in my neighborhood (2 570’s/3 2017+ 850’s) and have not had an issue with one of them.

We have had (again neighbor or friends machines):
    2016 Honda – Wouldn’t start at a trail head because and part came loose inside the engine (two month old machine was gone for 2-3 weeks getting fixed). This was last year.

2018 Honda – Cooling fan failure (the neighbor above traded in the 2016 for this). Again had to go in for repair in the past month or two.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly – Started burning oil. Out of warranty Yamaha rebuilt the whole engine a few weeks ago and is supplying full warranty on it. I certainly give Yamaha props for how they handled this one!

2017 Honda Pioneer sxs – Engine started running funny a few months ago at a ride in Danbury. Engine finally shut down and wouldn’t start again. Had to be towed back to the cabin. He just brought it to the dealer and it’s being looked at. Not sure on what happened yet.

2018 Canam sxs – Rim fell off brand new machine on one of the first rides due to lug nuts coming loose (may have been a defect on the rim if I recall correctly). I believe Canam is replacing all 4 rims under warranty. On another ride a month later a tie rod broke (this was likely driver caused) but it was a PITA to get the machine out of the tight trail system we were in.

I haven’t had one issue on my 2017 Polaris 850SP. I have around 500 miles on it now. The thing rides like a couch and is a blast to drive (I do think it could use a clutch kit though).

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We traded in one of the Brutes and the Raptor for a Yamaha Grizzly. You only live once and I wanted to see what they were like. Its my wifes machine. Smooth as glass ride and the power steering. Very comfortable machine to ride. Power very similar to Brute twins but not quite as much. They come with big 26″ tires so its ready for anything although it wont see mud while we own it. Time will tell. 240 miles of perfect so far. I still love and prefer my Brute 750. I sure miss the Raptor. Might have to get another one some day.

daddy

I am the odd-ball here, I have had decent luck with Polaris. I currently own a 2017 Sportsman 850SP. It’s been a great machine so far, I have roughly 500 miles on it and it is literally like riding a couch (it has decent power as well!). I also had a 2014 Sportsman 570 with 500 miles on it with no issues (just sold it as it’s no longer being used). My last 2005 Sportsman 500 was a decent machine, but I did have to replace the starter in that one a couple years ago and did have to do the rear CV/axles.

In our neighborhood we have at least 4-5 other newer 2016+ Polaris wheelers and have not had any issues with them (both 570s’s and 850’s).

With that said, I would certainly look at the Can-Am’s (we have a few of those in the neighborhood as well). They are nice, but they charge a premium for them. One of my neighbors just had a cracked/split rim on his brand new can-am 1000 side by side last weekend up at mud nationals, and was only going through mud. It appears like the other rims may be started to have similar issues. So, any machines can have issue.

If your buying a new machine, GET EPS! I would never consider another machine without it.

We go on multiple rides per year with our neighbors and have not had any major issues, aside from an older Arctic Cat machine.

I also have the 2017 Polaris Sportsman 850SP. I absolutely love it. No issues whatsoever. I’ve also had Honda. The sportsman is the best ATV I’ve laid my hands on.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.