New ATV suggestions

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I think I’m finally ready to pull the trigger on a new ATV. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin. I’m sure all brands make a decent machine, but are there any I should stay away from? I’m looking for a smaller machine, 400-570 range. Mostly used for ice fishing, hunting, and light work around the cabin and the occasional trail riding.

The new Polaris 570 seems to have some nice incentives and rebates right now….thoughts on this machine? Any thoughts on the Yamaha and Honda mid size machines? Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I have a ’16 Yamaha Kodiak 700 and I love it. At the time they didn’t offer the 450 but they do now. Great machine and have never heard of any problems with Yamaha.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t own a quad currently but have read plenty about them and have friends that ride. I would only consider purchasing a Yamaha or a Honda myself. the Honda rancher or Kodiak 450 would fit the bill nicely. For not much more you can step up to the Kodiak 700. I would stay away from Polaris. Plenty of issues with recalls and other issues from what I have read about

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

In order
    1 can am
    2 yami
    3 polaris

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I just test drove the Polaris 450… they have some real nice incentives on them. I’m just concerned that I would be making a mistake by not getting EPS. Motoprimo in Lakeville has the 450 for 4895 not including tax/lic, etc…

munchy
    NULL

Check out the CanAm Outlander L. Midsize CanAms without the full-size price. I’ve got a 2015 450 that I mainly use for ice fishing and summer trail riding and has been bulletproof. Plenty of power to tow my 10×5 enclosed trailer, yet sips gas as well.

Picked mine up from Leo’s South in Lakeville.

With all the issues Polaris has had in recent years I’d stay away from them until they can prove themselves again.

rubberduck
    east bethel

I would stay away from Polaris.cheap machines.
    Honda or Yamaha are going to be your most dependable machines. can am are popular but pricey.
    I own a 2016 Kodiak 700 eps and love it!
    power steering is awesome! you will probably regret it if you don’t get it!
    look for last years models… youll save a lot of doe. I SAVED 1200 BUCKS BY BUYING LAST YEARS MODEL WITH 0 MILES

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, Polaris is quickly becoming a non contender.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I would probably go Can-am. Seen some not to long ago for $4500-5200 for the outlander L. Looks like a nice machine.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Brian, look up Cedar Creek motorsports. Just to give you an idea of some great price’s.

John Timm

Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. Stay far away from Polaris! Yamaha 450 is a good one, but then again so is their 700.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

From what I’ve seen of Polaris it is plastic holding plastic in place with a plastic fastener.

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

Like others have stated… I own a Can Am Outlander 650 but I don’t think you can go wrong with either Can Am Outlander L or Yamaha Grizzly 450. Both excellent machines.

404 ERROR
    MN

I don’t wanna get into my sportsman 570 experience again, but some searching would bring up my story. In summary, they covered well over $2,000 in parts from the plastics to power steering unit(s) and speedo all under warranty because they can’t design quality. Sold it with around 800 miles on it.

Can-Am, Yamaha, Honda, Kawie or Zuki gets my vote. Notice I mention all but Polaris and Textron/AC…

basseyes

Love Honda’s for work and own a 2000 450s foreman that is a shaft driven work mule. Dependable and has literally been beaten plowing and working, yet just keeps plugging away. But the ride is terrible for any amount of trail riding.

Have a Kawasaki 650 prairie that had no reverse when I got it. It’s a beast and been a good machine. Rides better than the Honda and can go through just about anything. It gets worked for plowing and chores. Belt driven ones still irritate me but have only smoked two belts. One was old, the other a kid was driving when we were pulling something way to heavy.

I’d never buy a cat.

Polaris’s ride is great, everything else about them is junk. Really like the ride and have been close to buying a few over the years, but their reputation is well deserved.

Have heard a tremendous amount of good things about Yamaha, plus the ride is far better than a honda imo.

Can am seem like good machines but don’t know much about them.

The difference between the 650 prairie and honda 450 for fuel consumption is almost unbelievable. Honda sips, Kawasaki guzzles. It gets expensive when they are only fed non oxy.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I bought a Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS in late February and its a great machine. My primary use is ice fishing as well with a little trail riding throughout the year. Going from a 2004 Grizzly 660, the new machine is great with the fuel injection and power steering is a huge bonus. I did look at the Kodiak 450s and the machine felt small to me and there isnt much of a price jump to go up to the 700 when you are looking at machines with EPS

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use my articat 500 for everything from farm use to mountain trails in Colorado. Very pleased with it.
    1. Atricat
    2. Honda
    3. Yamaha

No way, never Polaris

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

I’m a mechanic. I’ve worked on every brand. Spend the money on a Honda. Yamaha and Suzuki are pretty good also. I wouldn’t consider any other brands. Just my opinion

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I am the odd-ball here, I have had decent luck with Polaris. I currently own a 2017 Sportsman 850SP. It’s been a great machine so far, I have roughly 500 miles on it and it is literally like riding a couch (it has decent power as well!). I also had a 2014 Sportsman 570 with 500 miles on it with no issues (just sold it as it’s no longer being used). My last 2005 Sportsman 500 was a decent machine, but I did have to replace the starter in that one a couple years ago and did have to do the rear CV/axles.

In our neighborhood we have at least 4-5 other newer 2016+ Polaris wheelers and have not had any issues with them (both 570s’s and 850’s).

With that said, I would certainly look at the Can-Am’s (we have a few of those in the neighborhood as well). They are nice, but they charge a premium for them. One of my neighbors just had a cracked/split rim on his brand new can-am 1000 side by side last weekend up at mud nationals, and was only going through mud. It appears like the other rims may be started to have similar issues. So, any machines can have issue.

If your buying a new machine, GET EPS! I would never consider another machine without it.

We go on multiple rides per year with our neighbors and have not had any major issues, aside from an older Arctic Cat machine.

404 ERROR
    MN

One of my neighbors just had a cracked/split rim on his brand new can-am 1000 side by side last weekend up at mud nationals

Tell him to remove the mud scrapers on the inside of the wheel. The issue is rocks get jammed between the scraper and the wheel and puncture the wheel. It can still happen without the scraper, it just requires a much bigger rock…

It’s not an uncommon problem for any SXS running tight clearances behind the wheels, there’s no where for the rocks to go once they get flung in.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>311hemi wrote:</div>
    One of my neighbors just had a cracked/split rim on his brand new can-am 1000 side by side last weekend up at mud nationals

Tell him to remove the mud scrapers on the inside of the wheel. The issue is rocks get jammed between the scraper and the wheel and puncture the wheel. It can still happen without the scraper, it just requires a much bigger rock…

It’s not an uncommon problem for any SXS running tight clearances behind the wheels, there’s no where for the rocks to go once they get flung in.

Will do, thanks for the info!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Funny my buddy and I both own a Cat 500 among others. Mine is an 06 and his is several years older. Both appear to be indestructible. His looks like he’s been trying to break it for the last 10 years and it wont break. Not saying I would buy one now or if they are still as good but interesting observation.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

For sure EPS.
    I also recommend installing a battery tender pig tail and there is no way I could live without heated grips and thumb warmer.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

EPS is worth every penny extra that it costs. I would never own a machine without it

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

EPS is worth every penny extra that it costs. I would never own a machine without it

Why? What about owning a machine without EPS suck?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Same as owning a car without power steering. They ride and drive fine, but at the end of a long day of riding you will be less sore. It also helps to keep you from getting pulled around by ruts.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, I think I’m going to try and get some pricing done on a Yamaha 700 Kodiak with ESP.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a choice on my last machine and I chose without EPS. I dont care for it for the same reason most people want it. Disconnect with the road. I prefer to feel the ride through the handlebars, feet and seat. And frankly on a small machine like a quad manual steering is not a big deal and certainly not worth spending money on to me. However that may because of the type of riding we do and the fact we have a super awesome Kawasaki Brute Force’s with very easy manual steering.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

311 Hemi, I am with you. We have had Polaris at the farm for 20 plus years without major issues. I have a 2007 at home(my 2nd Polaris 6X6 in 20 years) that is an absolute work horse and no major issues with that either. I think we have 6 Polaris ATV’s at the farm with the newest being 2017 SXS 570 which I really like.

That being said, I was/am pretty pissed at Polaris for moving their plants to Mexico…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.