Never realized the damage ethanol gas does !

• Spoon Minnow

After months in the shop, my old 90 HP motor is fixed and runs like new. Problem: the damage ethanol gas did to the carburetor because of water and alcohol separation. Unfortunately the only non-ethanol gas sold is in the next county about 20 minutes away. There are water/gas separators that go between the tank and motor and I’ve heard they work, but for my money I’d just as soon put up with the inconvenience.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Separators are $30 and pretty easy to install. But yeah, I haven’t used ethanol in anything but our cars for many years.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Non ethanol gas isn’t immune to water in your tank by way of condensation. Get the separator.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

You should see what ethanol does to fuel lines that aren’t rated for ethanol use. It can turn a rubber line to goo

milemark_714

Fuel/water separator is a must with a built-in tank.Worth the”bother”!Save a lot of headaches for sure.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya like onestout said, try to use ethanol free fuel in everything except your vehicles. Engines that get used seasonally run much better year after year when when filled with ethanol free premium. Outboards, snow blowers, lawn mowers, ATVs, etc.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Me personally have never ran anything but 10% in everything on the farm and have not had any issues related to ethanol. Even my old tractors run just fine on it. It seems everyone forgets the old non ethanol gasoline would varnish up now that was a real problem it would smell like turpentine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run regular 87 in everything. Pump gas in atvs dirt bikes both boats lawn mowers all besides one sled I had ran 110 race fuel.
    Never have had a single fuel related issue. But I maintain all of my stuff nicely.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I run regular 87 in everything. Pump gas in atvs dirt bikes both boats lawn mowers all besides one sled I had ran 110 race fuel.
    Never have had a single fuel related issue. But I maintain all of my stuff nicely.

I run 87 pump gas quite often as well. The original post was about ethanol, not the octane rating. Many places sell 87 non ethanol gas.

Deuces

He mentioned regular 87 onestout, and I don’t know where you live but I’ve never seen ethanol free 87 in the cities here. wave

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Id be willing to bet it has more to do with lack of proper seasonal maintenance and storage.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Yamahas are designed to run off 87 with ethenol. Suposidly if you put non ethenol in their newer motors they’ll run like crap.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run 87 pump gas quite often as well. The original post was about ethanol, not the octane rating. Many places sell 87 non ethanol gas.
    [/quote]

Not any where near me. It’s all ethanol mix. That’s kind of what my point was

hillhiker
    SE MN

Water separators are definitely a good thing to have in your boat, but running a good fuel stabilizer every time you fill up will also be a big help. It’s always a little hard on rubber parts not designed to handle it, but it really gets nasty once the phase separation happens. That’s when it gets corrosive, and the fuel stabilizer will help delay that. If you know you have to fill up with ethanol blends just don’t fill your tank to full if you know the fuel will be sitting for long periods of time and you should be fine.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just bought a Sierra F/W seperator for the generator in the boat.

$33.00 w/free shipping.

So easy to install, even I can do it!

Link To Amazon

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Ya like onestout said, try to use ethanol free fuel in everything except your vehicles. Engines that get used seasonally run much better year after year when when filled with ethanol free premium. Outboards, snow blowers, lawn mowers, ATVs, etc.

100% true.

If you can’t get this, try using some Marine Stabil and refilling the tank often with small amounts of gas to prevent separation.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do regular maintenance on you engines and it wont matter what fuel you run. Gas gets old and crappy so dont store for long periods of time.
    Like I stated above. Regular ethonal fuel in every motor I run and never have ever had issues. And I build and tinker with lots of dirt bikes wheeler weed wackers and outboards. For boats dont put in 20 gallons of fuel knowing it wont be ran for a year or 2.
    If you are just add seafoam. Dont waste your money on spendy products. Seafoam works just perfect.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Do regular maintenance on you engines and it wont matter what fuel you run. Gas gets old and crappy so dont store for long periods of time.
    Like I stated above. Regular ethonal fuel in every motor I run and never have ever had issues. And I build and tinker with lots of dirt bikes wheeler weed wackers and outboards. For boats dont put in 20 gallons of fuel knowing it wont be ran for a year or 2.
    If you are just add seafoam. Dont waste your money on spendy products. Seafoam works just perfect.

The worst thing for anything with a motor is simply not running it. If it’s run often, 87 with ethanol won’t hurt it. Seafoam is the best additive for almost any application.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

The worst thing for anything with a motor is simply not running it. If it’s run often, 87 with ethanol won’t hurt it. Seafoam is the best additive for almost any application.

How long is too long? I don’t think I’m close to it as the longest I go in between getting on the water is only a week and a half or so, and I use seafoam semi regularly. Wouldn’t mind knowing just for reference.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

How long is too long? I don’t think I’m close to it as the longest I go in between getting on the water is only a week and a half or so, and I use seafoam semi regularly. Wouldn’t mind knowing just for reference.

3 months is usually the cutoff for 87 before it starts degrading. On the flip side, 93 octane will usually last up to 9 months before degrading noticibly. So for winterizing boats, if you know you’re getting close to putting it away for the year, let the tank run low on your last outing. Add a fuel stabilizer like seafoam or whatever you like and run a bit more to get it in the engine. Obviously don’t run it empty lol. But then leave everything connected and when you take it out of storage however many months later, top it off with fresh gas. This dilutes the bit of less potent gas with fresh gas. It’ll continue to run like a champ.

I honestly never really put anything but seafoam in at the end of the year and run it into the motor then leave it. As long as you have less than a quarter tank i never have an issue with bad gas.

Some people will tell you to drain the lines out, but that can sometimes lead to drying and cracking of the lines. It’s easier to leave it in there. I personally never drain anything. Except for the carb bowl (if it’s a 2 stroke) I’ll usually drain that if I remember to just so nothing gums up in there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My ‘98 John Deere lawn tractor won’t run on anything with ethanol in it. Even fresh. It shuts down after it heats up.

Non-oxy for everything but my truck. My boat gets non-oxy and I don’t winterize it.

It only sits for about 3 months max so I don’t have any issues. I don’t worry about draining/filling the tank either. No stabilizers.

No issues.

saddletramp

My dilemma is, two towns with ethanol free gas, both about 15 miles away. Both towns less than 1000 pop. How fresh is the gas?
    Nearest town is 10 miles away, e10 only.pop less than 1000, two transports a week.
    I choose the e10, I know it’s fresh.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Same here…all I do is use Seafoam and Stabil and never had a problem…

tangler
    Inactive

I don’t use ethanol in anything, ever.
    Don’t believe in it chemically or politically.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Be careful on that website and be sure to check when the last time the data was updated. If you’re driving out of your way to find pure gas I would call ahead to confirm the station actually has what that site says they have. A lot of the stations in MN haven’t been updated in 5 years on the site.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.