Network? Can i see SI on other head

• Whateverbites

I have a Helix 9 SI for my dash, i plan to get a unit for the bow, if i network another helix that is not a side imaging unit will i be able to display SI from the networked si unit?
    I have heard both yes and no, curious if anyone has this set up

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yes you can, you simply adjust what transducer the unit reads from

munchy
    NULL

Yup! I’ve got a 999si on the bow and a Helix 10 at the helm. With the 999’s SI transducer installed on the stern and the Helix’s transducer on the trolling motor, and both networked together.

I can see and control the SI on both units as well as the trolling motors’ transducer. Works great, just may not be as ‘user friendly’ as some may like, but heck I saved a bunch of money with this setup, especially after buying used.

Daniel Turner

I’d call HB and ask them. I’d be willing to say that unless both units are SI units, you cannot see the SI data on the non SI unit. If both units are SI, then only one transducer is necessary. The unit has to be able to read SI data to be able to display it. But I could be wrong.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Yeah you can. You need the 5 port ethernet switch. You will then run a cable from your units to the switch. You will plug your transducer into the switch and your gps into the switch. You will still have to select what transducer you want to read.

Smellson

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but Im definitely not reading si from my helix 12si up front on my helix 9 non si. Ive got them linked up through the Ethernet hub and am able to display regular two d-sonar simultaneously off one ducer, but I can’t get si up front. Need individual lake chips in each unit as well…might need to investigate the si issue more if others are getting it to work

snelson223
    Austin MN

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but Im definitely not reading si from my helix 12si up front on my helix 9 non si. Ive got them linked up through the Ethernet hub and am able to display regular two d-sonar simultaneously off one ducer, but I can’t get si up front. Need individual lake chips in each unit as well…might need to investigate the si issue more if others are getting it to work

There is a menu page that you can select what transducer you want to use for each unit.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

You can not plug a transducer or GPS module into an Ethernet switch. You would plug them into the si unit then you can view them through the network. You need to have the latest software updates. Helix units can work with the core units. You need to give the units a few minutes to connect though the network. Then go to the network page in the main menu. You can select the 2d sonar source, si source, di source, temp source or gps source. The only thing that doesn’t work is you can’t turn on the broadband sonar in the helix unit or it won’t show up in the network choices. It will if it is left turned off. I have a Helix 12, 959 di and a 1198 si. I can view si on any unit. It can save you money by not buying all si units.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I have a Helix 9 SI for my dash, i plan to get a unit for the bow, if i network another helix that is not a side imaging unit will i be able to display SI from the networked si unit?
    I have heard both yes and no, curious if anyone has this set up

According to this chart, yes, you can see SI on a Helix 9 sonar/gps (non-SI/DI) unit, from a Helix 9 SI primary.

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/EthernetSonarSharing/

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Helix-9-SI.jpg

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

in the past you used to need an SI unit to view an SI source from a different unit on the same network. Humminbird changed that during a software upgrade to the Legacy units right around the time the Helix G1 series first came out, allowing non-SI units to display SI images from a different unit on the network.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I am also trying to do the same kind of thing… I have a 12si on the console and a 10si on the bow and I want to hook them together to see the same way points on the bow and console. I will have the si transducers on both the stern and the bow (trolling motor) and a 360 imaging transducer on the trolling motor.

What do I need o hook them all up? Which Ethernet box and cables do I need? Or is there a GOOD video showing all this?

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

If you want just the 2 unit to communicate you just need a single cable. Unit to unit. Share GPS, tranducers and waypoints. If you have a Minn kota with I-link and want to communicate with both units you will need the ethernet switch to hook them all together.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

If you want just the 2 unit to communicate you just need a single cable. Unit to unit. Share GPS, transducers and waypoints. If you have a Minn kota with I-link and want to communicate with both units you will need the ethernet switch to hook them all together.

Like this one?

Humminbird 720073-5 15 Foot Ethernet Cable AS EC 15E

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

That might be an extension cable. A unit to unit cable will have the same type of connector on both ends. I believe the Helix units switched to the flat style connector. Some of the older core units use a round style connector. Call humminbird and they can provide you with the part number you need.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

That might be an extension cable. A unit to unit cable will have the same type of connector on both ends. I believe the Helix units switched to the flat style connector. Some of the older core units use a round style connector. Call humminbird and they can provide you with the part number you need.

So here is what they said to use… Adapter AS EC QDE x 2 and One cable AS EC 15E (they have different length cables.. this one is a 15′) … The adapters go on each unit then the cable goes between them.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Looks about right. I think I had to use the adaptor for my 12 si. The cable uses the round connector that hooks directly to my 1198 and the ethernet switch. I do find it helpful to have the waypoint I mark on my dash unit show up on my bow unit.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I may be wrong but I believe that the 360 Transducer is an Ethernet device. So, if you want to connect your two SI units and the 360 transducer you will need a Ethernet switch in the middle of the cable connections.

Good Luck

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

the 360 Transducer is an Ethernet device
    you will need the switch to connect more than two Ethernet devices.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

the 360 Transducer is an Ethernet device
    you will need the switch to connect more than two Ethernet devices.

I talked to people at Humminbird.. they told me the same thing.. so this networking will run me about another $400 for the switch and the cables! Ugh!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.