Nebraska Wild Asparagus

• zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Went out last night and ended up with about 1lb of spears with a whole bunch more that will be ready in the next day or two. Man were they great with some fish last night

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve plucked about 14 pounds so far this spring and now the asparagus in the garden is showing. Good stuff.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

How does a person find wild asparagus? Is it typically in a certain kinda’ area? Shade? Sun? I would have no idea on where to begin looking…RR

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The original ditch weed! I gotta keep an eye open for some now!

-J.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

How does a person find wild asparagus? Is it typically in a certain kinda’ area? Shade? Sun? I would have no idea on where to begin looking…RR

Road ditches me boy.
    Best time to locate would be when they sprout high and turn yellow. Cruise around and makr them in. And when you do find some, keep it under your hat as that stuff is as good as gold.
    Checked some spots the other day in my area and it was not up yet. Soon I hope.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

We have a hay meadow that it grows wild in and it is in the road ditches. Keep on checking back because it will shot up real quick and the poachers are quick to spot it

mroberts
    Nebraska

That stuff grows like crazy up around Clearwater where my inlaws live. It is better than the stuff you get in the store.

a1a

Quote:

Quote:

We have a hay meadow that it grows wild in and it is in the road ditches. Keep on checking back because it will shot up real quick and the poachers are quick to spot it

Here in Minnesota if it’s within 30′ of the road centerline it ain’t poaching….early bird gets the worm, and usually in my neck of the woods that’s the retired farmer’s wife. While I’m hard at work all day she’s out clipping the aspargus around my mailbox. Oh well, I’ll get my turn some day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.