Wehrspann Report 3/16, 3/17

• chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

Took the boat over to Wehrspann Lake in Omaha on Monday and Tuesday morning. We set up across the lake toward the Dam on a drop off along the channel that had a brush pile near by. We used jigs tipped with large minnows. We jigged right on the bottom. Had to constantly change depths because the wind was blowing us back and forth from 18ft to 26ft. On Monday we managed to catch 3 walleyes, 2 crappies and a catfish. Water temp was around 41 degrees. I took my cousin there on Tuesday morning and we managed to catch 2 more walleyes and 2 cats over 4 pounds. To sum it up, we really had to work for the fish we caught. Talked to many other people that didn’t even have a bite. Here is a pic of my cousin holding a 16 inch Eye.

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

Thanks for the report Chad

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Like I told you before….you da MAN!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Good job Chad. Any plans to get back out there again this week?

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Nice!! The elusive walleye of Wehrspahn. With the reports of how many walleye they have stocked in there over the years, you would think a guy should be able to go out and catch quite a few.

We need everyone in the area of the Wehrspahn reservoir to start keeping an eye out for people taking the SMALL walleye. I was out last year and caught a guy with 4 or 5 in his bucket that were about 8-10″. You would think that a lake like that would have officers out all the time, but in 4-5 yrs of fishing it, I have never been checked at all.

Good day of fishing though! Congrats!!

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

I was planning on going back out there today but I had to report for Jury Duty I drained the lower unit of my motor last night and the oil was a little milky. That’s not good considering I’ve taking it out only a couple times this year and never went over 5mph. I am going to take it to Mercman in NE City tomorrow. He’ll to a vacuum test and hopefully fix the problem. I guess I probably should have checked the oil in the lower unit when I bought the boat last summer. Lesson learned! Ben, have you been able to hit Branched Oak any more this week? I might try to make it out there sometime next week (probably Friday). Also, if anyone wants to hit the W in the morning next week, let me know. I usually will go over there a couple times each week before I go to work. Husker26 – I have been to Wehrspann a ton and have also never been checked which is amazing since I believe the offices are right there. I have seen so many people keep illegal fish in that lake, it is unbelievable (especially Crappie).

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I haven’t been to BO this week. Give me a shout next Fri. if you head out there. Maybe we can meet up out there.

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

Sounds good, I’ll let you know next week.

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

We went back out to the “W” today. I had to use the trolling motor to get out to our spot. The lower unit is off my boat and in for repair. Was getting quite a few people staring It was kind of ghetto but I couldn’t waste this nice day. We got out there around 3PM and fished till 8PM. It was slow but did manage 3 walleyes and 2 cats. My 8 year old caught his biggest Walleye to date. She was 21 inches and full of eggs. My son wanted to keep it but I showed him the eggs coming out and explained to him why we should release it. She’s back in the lake to catch again another day Here it is –

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great job Chad. By the way I wouldn’t consider it “ghetto” that’s “hard core”!

Good job on the relase.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Great job Chad. By the way I wouldn’t consider it “ghetto” that’s “hard core”!

Good job on the relase.

What he said!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Excellent job! It’s nice to see you teaching your son the sportsman way! Nice walleye.

mike means

Good job Chad.
    Went out to Wherspan yesterday with a couple guy’s to make for sure they had worked the kinks out of their boat and decided to do a little fishing also. Ended up boating 7 Crappies and 2 Walleye’s (16 & 17″). Nice healthy looking fish. Only fished for a couple hours, one of us decided not to bring any warm clothes and ended up getting cold real quick.

Mike

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.