Elkhorn River Conditions?

• channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I’m planning to do some cattin’ on the Elkhorn this summer, in Dodge Co. Can anyone give me an update on the conditions? Is the river low or high, and how muddy is it right now? Anybody been fishing it this year?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I think they had a ton of rain in that area a week or so ago and it was flowing like mad. Todd lives in that area and should chime in here with a little info for you.
    You can keep an eye on the flows HERE!

Todd_NE

It’s running above “normal” I’d say but the water is clearing up now. Usually you can catch all you want in the 1# range on stink bait and so on. There are flatties in the river but it’s hit and miss at best. The guys here use air boats. I just bank fish when the mood strikes.

I would tell you I find these catfish to have very strong flavor, I don’t eat them. I’m sure someone disagrees…

Like most rivers fish the outside bend holes, behind sandbars and snags mainly.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for the info, guys. I’ll keep an eye on the flow until I get down there.

I’ve fished the Elkhorn all my life. My Grandpa and his brothers have some land along the Elkhorn, so I know what to expect as far as the fishing goes (and the strong taste from the fillets… I agree with you there). This time, though, I’m going to try for some flats at night. Not that I expect a lot of action, but you never know. At least I’ll get to use a couple of rods, and I’ll be out of the city for a few days. Back to dear old Nebraska…

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Let us know how you do when you get back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.