3 Mile (Iowa)

• chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

3 Mile res. is a lake located near Creston, Iowa. For those of us that live near Omaha, it’s about a 2 hour drive. We got on the lake at about noon and wow was it COLD. It was 2 degrees and the wind was blowing. The ice was at least 12 inches thick. We fished an area that is near the dam off a point in about 25 feet of water.

Fishing was pretty good for most of the day but most of the fish we caught were on the small side. We caught over 30 walleyes that were in the 10 to 12 inch range. At around 4:30, my 9 year old hooked into a nice walleye. It was this nice 18 inch walleye.

Notice how grandpa had to hold the fish for him. He is still scared to hold a walleye because of their teeth. The kid was really excited. He said he was still shakin 30 minutes after he caught the fish. I was also really proud of him, he caught it all on his own. It was definitely a moment that I will never forget and a moment that he will share with his friends forever. Overall, we kept a bakers dozen crappies that were from 10 to 12 inches. We left the lake around 7PM. We probably could have stayed out there and caught quite a few more crappies during the night. It seems like the crappie fishing is better during the night on that lake. It looks like we’ll be heading out to my father-in-laws house on Johnson in 2 weeks. I would like to try Sherman, Kirwin and maybe even Elwood that weekend. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. I know Greg is in for Kirwin See ya in 2 weeks!!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

That sure is a fun lake. A few buddies and I head down in April to give the muskies a try. We have to be creative as trebles and timber don’t mix. I have seen some mid 40’s skis, had two on, but never boated one out there. Congrats on the walleye, I know the lake is full of them, bass too. Is the water still really low????

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Tell your son congrats!!!

Todd_NE

Looks like a devils lake cove!!

Good job and nice trip!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Nice report and pic from what looks to be a really good body of water,25fow next to all that timber-whoa,that looks good. Did I read right,muskies on that lake?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Great report!

Hell, I’m still afraid fo the teeth. This is the important thing:

Quote:

The kid was really excited. He said he was still shakin 30 minutes after he caught the fish.

Tell him congratulations on a great fish!

big_dog_ia
    Omaha, Ne

Sounds like a good day Chad!
    Definitely one for the memory books.
    The last time I had the boat in 3 Mile was October, it was very low. I have never seen that many sandbars up North.
    Jeff, it does have Musky in it

Jason

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

The whole idea of that lake intrigues me. Flooding a hardwoods valley as it stands, talk about a structure mecca. I still remember the first time I fished it, in 30 feet of water I was still looking up at what was at one time a 70 foot oak tree. Fun!!!!

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Nice report and a great looking walleye to boot.

John

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

It looked like the lake was still a little low. It was hard to tell though because of the snow cover. We have had some very good nights on that lake. The funny thing is when we ice fish it, we will typically wait till sun down and fish all night. When we get to the lake, there is usually a ton of people coming off the lake and they all say fishing was really slow. What they don’t know is they are leaving when the fish really start to get active. This crappie was taken through the ice around midnight at 3 Mile a few years ago. My father-in-law has it mounted and sitting atop the fireplace.

walleye4
    On the Water

Looks good CHad!

Looks like I will not be home when you come this way! The wife wants to go visit some friends in KS.

Might still hit Kirwin that weekend though if my buddy wants to go up there.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Chad, do you ever fish Badger Creek? I used to fish it all the time when I lived in West Des Moines. It was also good for big gills and nice crappies. If I remember right it was not to far from 3 Mile.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

You the man, Chad! Looks like you guys had a good time! Gimme a call when you’re headed down to this neck of the woods!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Way to go Chad!! I love it when kids catch fish like that. If it made his heart race he’ll want MORE!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.