Tournament Bound!!! Destination Sherman Reservoir

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’m off to the Nebraska Walleye Trails first tournament of the year. I can’t believe it’s finally here. 1 1/2 days of pre-fishing and then it’s ON!! This is one of my favorite lakes to fish. The spawn ended there over two weeks ago and the fish should all be moved out and ready to feed. I can’t wait to get back and post a new report. The boat is hitched and the truck is packed, and I’m OUTA HERE!!!!

Ben Garver

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Ben, how many boats do you usually get each tournament?

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Sully

scottsteil
    Central MN

Good Luck Ben, Keep us posted

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Good Luck Ben. Can’t wait for your post tournament post. Love2Fish.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good luck Ben!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Hammer ’em good Ben,
    Will look forward ot your report

dave

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Well, I’m back and I wish I had something great to report to you. The fishing was o.k. but it was tough to find a keeper. Sherman Reservoir has an 18in. minimum size limit and that made it hard to find one for the livewell. We caught several walleye Saturday in practice, but all were short. We fished 7 or so different spots and caught a few eyes off each spot. We always try to find some areas where there aren’t any other boats around. That’s hard to do on that lake with 114 teams. Well, we picked the best 4 spots and hit them hard Sunday morning. My first eye came about 5 minutes into it and it was 17 3/4. I thought for sure we would find some there that were a little bigger. No such luck, they just kept getting smaller and smaller. It’s a terrible feeling to go in with a “0” at the first tournament. As it turns out 10 teams that were in the top 20 in points last year didn’t weigh a fish. View Results Here!!
    I know the second place team caught their fish pitching jigs. Most of the others caught theirs difting with live bait. Crawlers seemed to be the most popular followed by leeches for those who were lucky enough to find some this early in the season. The surface water temp was around 54 and the air temp was in the mid 40’s in the A.M. and in the mid 70’s by afternoon. We caught fish anywhere from 6 to 30 ft deep. The lake was lowered 12 feet or so for habitat improvements this winter and it is now about 5 feet from being full. I think I’ll make a trip back up there in between some of my tournaments. I think once the lake is full that it will be a little easier to pin point the larger fish.
    Two weeks till the next one. I hope I will have some great stories to report back with after that one.

Ben Garver

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ben, That’s a great report actually. That’s fishing.

I’m sorry you didn’t do as well as you’d like in the tourney but I saw that 1/3 of the teams didn’t weigh a fish. An 18-inch min makes it tough! We’ll be rooting for you in the next one!

Todd_NE

Sorry you didn’t do better Ben but you’ll turn it around. I’m heading out myself for the NWA this weekend. We’ll see how humbled I get

Todd

emover
    Malcom, IA

Thanks for the followup Ben. Sorry the results weren’t what you’d hoped for, but it’ll get better. That was a heck of a detailed report

dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.