How many of you fish Nebraska waters?

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Just curious how many fellow Nebraska fishermen are out there lurking? If you’re not registered here at IDA you should. We need your imput here at IDA and you need ours!

Ben Garver

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Ben! I have a friend named Bill Brasky that cast from MN to NE a couple times! Does that count!

I don’t want to hijack your post…so cut me off anytime!

When do the eye’s start biting down that way? Must be soon I would guess.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Member Todd_NE fishes NE waters. I’m sure he’ll chime in here soon.

We’re thrilled to have you working with us Ben. As the old saying goes “build it and they will come.” Won’t be long and NE anglers will start visiting regularly to see what you’ve been up to. And that’s when the real fun begins.

By the way, those monster flatties look like they were a blast. I would imagine BrianK has already contacted you about fishing for them next spring… lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

James? How am I going to get a discount when you tell him what I’m up to right off the bat!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Ben, do you ever fish Valentine?

Todd_NE

Ben, James, etc.

Nice flatheads!

I live up in NE Nebraska but probably fish Nebraska only 1/2 the time. I fish for walleye probably 75% of the time but really consider myself a multi-species angler.

IDA is a very nice site. Ryan Hale and Wade kept telling me to check it out so I finally did and I’m glad.

I’m a big fan of sites like this that require registrations to post and moderators that moderate without agenda’s or require posters to use more than rumor as fact.

Todd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Todd…was that you fished the Red River around lockport? If I recall, you get around alot!

Todd_NE

Brian,

Been going to Selkirk/Pine Falls since 1995 I think. My favorite spot, time, place in the whole world for walleye. But… I haven’t been to Tobin though either!

I’ve put a few kitties in the boat too up there. I was sure I had the world record greenback a few years ago on a shad rap out in Traverse Bay. Nope, just a 22# cat that fought exactly like a 14# walleye x 150% !!!

Todd

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ben, I grew up in Nebraska and I do some Nebraska fishing here and there yet. I fish the Missouri River for cat, smallies, sauger, and eyes. I used to fish Summit Lake but haven’t been back since they re-stocked the lake after the kill-off. I will be hitting it again this year though. I’ll also fish Buckskin Hills for bass, and I’m going to try the new lake out there, Powder Creek. I also get down to the Omaha lakes to fish with my father-in-law who lives down there. I am excited to get this Nebraksa Forum going and I’m looking forward to more of your reports. Any Nebraska anglers that stop in here please take a minute to say hello and post a fish pic if you’ve got one.

One more thing, I’m a HUGE Husker fan!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

just a 22# cat that fought exactly like a 14# walleye x 150% !!!

Todd! That coming from a walleye guy almost brings tears to my eyes…I love ya man!

If I would have know all the fishing opportunities in NE, I would have stopped on a number of trips through the state…I think the lakes are all hidden by corn fields when I drove through!

So can one of you guys tell me about the fishing in lakes and rivers down that way…as I do (don’t let this get out) fish eyes on occassion.

PS What’s a Husky?

Todd_NE

I’m a cat guy at times, enough to know how to hook a sunfish and I was introduced to illegal electricity at an early age if that makes sense I’m still fascinated by noodlers though as I have met and watched a few of those crazy suckers! I did move on from farmer gigging when I figured out it was illegal. The things you do with your dad at 8 years old…

The kitty I’m thinking of hit a crank, stayed down, went down at the boat repeatedly and yes…. fought like a walleye. At about the five minute mark I thought it wasn’t a walleye, then I was convinced it was and so on back and forth, but alas, a large released channel cat. I’ve seen 17 lb walleyes up there WITH MY OWN EYES so I’ll admit, I’m optimistic when I get that certain thump.

Nebraska has, I mean used to have rivers and lakes. Currently our politicians are much more concerned about votes than water policy. This will only change (slightly probably) as municipalities dig more wells.

We have many excellent catfish waters. In no particular order:

Harlan County Reservoir
    Lake McConaughy
    Elwood
    Lewis & Clark
    Calamus
    Sherman
    Merrit
    Loup Canal
    Elkhorn River
    Blue River
    Missouri River (Above and below Gavin’s Point)
    and as Ben has illustrated – Branched Oak
    I’m missing many, many more.

We also have a number of 200 acre type impoundments. Most of the above lakes have good shots at 10-20# fish on a weekend, the rivers are variable. Some are more 1-3# channels and some like the MO below Gavin’s have some monsters.

There are times when I’ll admit, it gets tiring catching the 8-14# channels on cranks in 40′ at McConaughy in a walleye tourney!

Out here many of the more serious folks chuck sunnies, carp and bullhead in the Missouri or drift blood bait in reservoirs. If you would ever like to blood bait fish, let’s use your boat!

Todd

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

PS What’s a Husky?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Wade! I hope that isn’t your definition of a husker!

Quote:

I’ve seen 17 lb walleyes up there WITH MY OWN EYES

Now that would make a few eyeballs pop out! I don’t care what the a persons favorite fish is, when you’re talking that size… well, I just get goose bumps!

I don’t want to make this another cat forum…but was wondering how large of bullhead are allowed in NE to use as live bait? Currantly MN is at 7″ or less, but we have high hopes of that changing to 10″ in 2007…Sunnies and carp? we can’t even use them as dead bait!

You’ll have to send me a pm on the farmer rigging…I think I have an idea …but since I’ve never heard of it before..I’m just guessing.

The two of you fish tourney’s together?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Glad to see a few more Nebraska people on the board. I tried to get some activity on this forum quite a while ago, but to no avail.

I’m in Northeast NE. Fish the Missouri, Lewis & Clark, Merrit, Big Mac (once per year) and wherever I can get to. Hope to see you out there.

JD

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey JD…Welcome back!

Are you fishing those waters for eyes? Tourny’s or pleasure?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

Hey JD…Welcome back!

Are you fishing those waters for eyes? Tourny’s or pleasure?

Yeah, for walleyes. I fish for pleasure so far. Haven’t yet gotten into a tourney. But thinking about getting into it with father. (Lifelong fisherman who has done some tourneys in the past.)

JD

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.