Reminder for NE boaters for motor fuels refund

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thought I’d post a reminder for you Nebraska boaters. This also applies to gas being used for lawn mowing, or any other uses off road. I called the motor fuels division today because I thought the refund went away, but it did not. Sure, it can be more work saving the receipts and whatnot than you might want, but if they’re going to give me some cash back, I’ll take it!

Save your receipts for off road used gas in mowers, boats, 4 wheelers, etc. Write on the receipt what gas was used for. Use form 84, found HERE. Use the tax table and you’re set. You can go back 3 years on your receipts. And, you can’t claim a refund until you have at least $25 to be refunded, which is about 100 gallons. If you’re like me, that’s not a problem at all.

walleyed_joe
    E Nebraska

That is some good info! Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to start looking into that!

jd318
    NE Nebraska

This wasn’t always available. A number of years ago (when it was a tax credit rather than a refund), there was a requirement that you had to have a bulk tank that it was stored in. That limitation was removed and replaced by the requirement that you have at least $100 refund, and that was replaced by the requirement that you have a least a $100 refund in a one year period.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Actually, the minimum refund amount that’s required to file a claim is now $25, which is about 107 gallons or so, according to the tax rate chart I checked last night. She also told me it was $25, and I believe it states it on the form. Sure is better than $100, I’d never be able to file one then in a one year period!

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I apologize, I re-read my above post and don’t know why I wrote that. It is not correct. The minimum was $25 when they changed it from the credit to a refund application. At the time, the gallons required to meet that minimum was approx 100 gallons. The minimum is still $25, but the difference is that you have to meet that minimum within a calendar year, which was not always the case.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

No worries. That’s the way it is now, but you know how the state likes to keep changing things, so who knows what it’ll be a year from now. I know I’m sure going to take advantage of it this year. If they give me anything for a refund, I’ll take it. Going to get a folder in the truck for all my receipts and it should be pretty easy…at least that’s how I have it in my head.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.