Need Tips for Solo Boat Launching

• Andrew Rice

This is my first year having a boat and one thing I am still trying to figure out is: what is the best way to tie up the boat to the dock while I go get the truck and back the trailer in. The big problem is the lakes I mainly fish are low and getting lower and the docks are HIGH! I have been to a couple of ramps that the boat gunnel will actually drift under the frame work of the dock. I know I could tie up on the down wind side but that isn’t always an option. The shorelines are always rocky and the wind is almost always blowing.

Thanks in advance!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Are you worried about launching or tieing up? Seems more like tieing to the dock.

I’d maybe tie to the end perpendicular to the dock. Shouldn’t drift under then.

I have a talon and use that all the time to hold me near shore or next to the dock while launching.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I see people these days use there trolling motor and using the Anchor mode to hold the boat off the dock.

Andrew Rice

I guess it is more of tying off issue. I’ve done the perpendicular and it works. I do have a TM with spot lock but it’s a Gen 1 and 12V and I don’t trust it. Maybe I need to try it. I don’t have a talon either.

Another issue is the cleats on my boat are old and breaking. They are the style where you weave the rope back and forth so combine that with the high angle required for tying off and the cleats are breaking off piece by piece.

grizzly
    nebraska

I see people these days use there trolling motor and using the Anchor mode to hold the boat off the dock.

my spot lock shut off once while getting the truck and away it went,dont trust mine anymore

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Andrew there is no law that says you have to tie your boat off in deep water. Run it shallow on the opposite side that you are loading on. Get the trailer in the water push the boat back and walk it back down the dock to deeper water and load it up.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I wouldn’t trust spot lock either. Mine loses signal every once in awhile.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Tie line to the dock and put an anchor out on the opposite back corner to keep the boat away from the dock, replace cleats if necessary. Don’t over think it.

catmando
    wis

Get a rope 10 ft longer than boat, tie one end to boat one to trailer,back in , boat floats off, drive forward, use boat bumper’s tie to dock. Rope to trailer or your swimming! I know !

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I got a z launch thing based on a recommendation from someone here. Dumbest product I have ever seen, but totally worth it for solo. You basically back in and use the bungee to bring the boat back to the landing with the truck beaching it right where the trailer was. I keep the anchor in the back and simply walk it up a few feet to get the tension tight and park the rig. There are YouTube videos showing this. I rarely have docks where I launch so this doesn’t exactly help your answer. I have had people look at me as I will leave the boat right in the middle Of the landing while people wait, but it’s a lot faster than moving the boat to a spot while my truck sits in the landing blocking it anyway.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I hate to give free advertising to a product I paid full price for, but here is the link.

Link
    I also talk with a southern accent and crank hard metal if the setting is right while using it. Again it seems like a stupid product but saves me a full step of the solo launch in and out of the truck.

One

My friend told me ,someone got ticket because they was using anchor {MINN KOTA ulturra}. Anybody have an idea about that?

Pete S

get a cheap pair of hip boots and a good rope

iowa_josh

A couple of sacrificial pvc poles? Jamb them in next to the dock so you can’t go under? It has happened to me before. So many people launch with two or don’t have falling water, they don’t understand the problem.

catmando
    wis

A couple of sacrificial pvc poles? Jamb them in next to the dock so you can’t go under? It has happened to me before. So many people launch with two or don’t have falling water, they don’t understand the problem.

. Now that’s a great idea . applause

Andrew Rice

I agree with catmando, that’s a great idea!!! Now I’m thinking a guy could even put padding over the pvc, like a water noodle, to try prevent scuffs. The downside is it would become bulky then.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Dock buoys.
    Rig them so your boat cannot go under dock.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My friend told me ,someone got ticket because they was using anchor {MINN KOTA ulturra}. Anybody have an idea about that?

Sounds like gossip/hearsay/rumor. What pray tell was the actual violation?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sounds like gossip/hearsay/rumor. What pray tell was the actual violation?

I’ve “heard” this too. They cited a CG reg that the vessel must be occupied when powered (like away or back to the dock).

I have no first hand knowledge of this…just to be clear.

On the other hand, I have a hard time relying on a remote control to bring my boat back…more so on the river. I did try it twice but made the FW sit in the boat while I went for the truck. Won’t be doing that again.

Rick Janssen

I do my loading 95% by myself. I back in, tie off as far out as my rope will reach and then normally I just give my boat a shove and off it goes. If I have to “jerk off” with the truck, that works also. Not a problem. I do sometime have problem loading on my own as again, I have the boat tied off and then I normally back in the trailer and then just push the boat towards the trailer and then go grab the front of the boat and hook up the strap. This means getting in the water. In the summer, not problem, if it is spring or fall and I don’t want wet feet I take along a pair of knee boots. Works well for me.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Interesting, 90% of the time I am launching by myself. I just back it in, connected, hop in, unconnect and push off, then I just beach my boat which is a glass boat with a keel guard. Occasional y, when there is no good spot to do this I will tie to the dock and if I need ill put bumpers out.

Get a keel guard, it makes solo launching so much better.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.