Need some flip over advice

• Beast

I’ve decided to up grade my present side step to one more user friendly, I’ve narrowed it down to Eskimo 2400 and the Otter xt-x cabin. I would like to hear any dislikes, likes on these two shacks for those that have them, I’m kinda leaning to the Otter but nothing got me locked into that one. I fish mostly alone but have the occasional guest.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I have the xt cabin, the bench seat really kills my back for some reason, couple hours and I can barely walk, but i am getting old! Lol otherwise I like it.

Deuces

I really enjoy Eskimo seats. Haven’t tried the bench yet. Do yourself a favor and take a seat in each one, otter and frabil benches also don’t do well for me.

B-man

No personal experience with the new 2400, but I know you won’t be disappointed with the Otter.

The bench seats are fine, but I will say the boat style seats are more comfortable (but add a premium in the Otter)

My Cottage has the bench, and Resort has the boat style. It all depends what “trim” level you buy. I believe you can get either in any Otter model, and I believe it also coordinates with the canvas thickness as well (pro model vs standard)

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was not a fan of the bench seats. Not comfortable, heavy and is always in the way of getting stuff out of the tub. Other than that and it’s weight, the cabin is a nice shack. I’m sure you’d be happy with either. Go to a store if you can find both of them and sit in them both if you haven’t already.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Otter bench seats are terrible. The single seats are really nice. Eskimo seats I have in my last shack were very comfortable but the shack itself seemed cheaper. I’ve never had a issue with my otter.

Travis Gunn

I have the Escape 2600. The seats can be removed quickly and are pretty comfortable. I have reocurring sciatic pain and I don’t notice it as much as now that I’m using a better shack with better seats.

Fishing area is nice sized as well. I bought the 3pocket otter net for the back wall. I also used extra velcro for the windows when they are open so the flap doesn’t get in the way.

I’m extremely happy with the escape TBH.

Nodakk

I will always recommend Otter as I believe their quality and durability is the best out of any options. However, Otter is built that way as they were designed to fit the group of people who tow them behind snowmobiles or other machines. If you never plan on towing your portable and will only be loading/unloading into your pickup then walking out with it, Otter may not be the best fit for you.

Ongo

I’ve had the Otter pro cabin (bucket seats) for a few years. Overall I have no complaints about quality or durability. If I was looking at replacing it I’d at least look over the Eskimo. I think the same size Eskimo has a little bit more head room and fishing space. It also opens up in side step configuration, versus the Otter where you have to move the poles to use the side doors after you get everything extended. It only takes a few extra seconds during set up and take down but it’s an extra step.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Nothing holds up like Otter products, and there customer service is top notch.

bfishn

I just leave the bench out of my otter cabin and sit on my own foldable chair. Leaves the whole sled open to hold things and keep them out of the way while fishing. Also makes it weight like 5O% less for pulling by hand and loading.

milemark_714

I will always recommend Otter as I believe their quality and durability is the best out of any options. However, Otter is built that way as they were designed to fit the group of people who tow them behind snowmobiles or other machines. If you never plan on towing your portable and will only be loading/unloading into your pickup then walking out with it, Otter may not be the best fit for you.

Even pulling a cottage by hand with the seat hardware was tough in deeper snow.I found the bench uncomfortable,so I removed it to lighten up.Used a folding chair instead or bucket.Otter sleds are the best,bar-none.Seems the rest use a flimsy tub,that’s where the runners would be best.Seen a lot of Frabills with cracked tubs and Clam.No experience with Eskimo or Shappell.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Otter bench seats are heavy, so are otter captain’s chairs. The bracket is rotomolded and, IMO super overbuilt. If I want to shed maximum weight from my pro cabin I’ll leave both chairs home and sit on a bucket.

Then again I won’t even bring this out unless I can run a wheeler or snowmobile. So the point is kinda moot. Someone above mentioned Otter may not be the best choice if you’re pulling by hand and he’s absolutely correct.

For what it’s worth side doors are great but it’s one added step to set up on the Otter. I almost preferred my XT cabin over my current XT pro Cabin X-over. I say almost because the side doors are super nice, just don’t like the added 3 seconds of set-up when I was trying to absolutely minimize setup time. I’ve accepted it

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I got the lodge this year with bench. I went with the bench because my two daughters and myself fit in it pretty comfortably. As for the bench, I haven’t had an issue with it yet as being uncomfortable but I haven’t put a full day in it yet either, 3-4 hrs at a time. It is heavy but I won’t be pulling it by hand ever. It heats great, even with the 600 not 1200 insulation. Had it out in -10 or so and no problems. Liken it so far.

Kris Berg

When it comes to the Otter line of flip over houses, the Xt X-Over models come with the 600 denier canvas, bench seats, and do not have the rear door behind the bench. The XT Pro X-Over houses come with the 1200 denier canvas, captain/boat seats, and the rear door behind the seats.

The Otter line is by far, in my opinion, the best option when it comes to durability. If it takes an extra 3 seconds to set up the house by moving the 2 side poles to use to side doors, it is worth that 3 seconds to have the Otter durability.

I have an Otter Cabin and have pulled it many times by hand to fish and I didn’t think it was too heavy, but I have also never pulled an Eskimo so I can’t compare one to the other when it comes to that.

Whatever your choice ends up being, enjoy your purchase, keep it topside.

queenswake
    NULL

If you’re going to pull behind a sled or ATV, Otter. If not, I’d go lighter.

B-man

I think the Otter XT Pro is only like 7lbs heavier than the Eskimo he’s looking at? (Just from Googling stuff anyway)

The regular XT with the bench looks to be a couple pounds lighter than the Eskimo.

Beast

seems like a moot point this year, both units are out of stock around here , abd I really want to look both units over brfore I buy, looks like I better get on the ball when next season rolls atound so I can do my own side by side comparison. but thanks to everyone for letting me pick you brains.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

If you fish alone why not the Otter Cottage ???

Beast

If you fish alone why not the Otter Cottage ???

nothing is off the table, and who knows, when the new ones come out next year there may be somthing I like even better, just wanted to pick everyone’s mind that has either the eskimo or otter on their likes and dislikes. I must say I do like the otter sled, and I do like the window s placment on the eskimo, but it won’t be until I cane do a side by side to decide wuich one comes home with me.

Ongo

None of the others are significantly different in weight if you’re doing an apples to apples comparison of the most similar models like Otter Cabin vs. Clam Yukon XL vs. Eskimo Eskape 2600. The Eskimo is actually the heaviest out of those according to published specs. The Clam Nanook is lighter but has a much shallower tub.

Kris Berg

Also take into consideration the shape of the tubs/sleds of each brand. If you plan on ever pulling them by hand, the front side of the sleds can cause the sled to pull harder or easier. The Clam sleds are more of a plow than the Otter sleds.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.