Need help with Lowrance Hook 2 , 5X GPS / Split Shot HDI Operating

• Doug Ramey

Old guy needs help with new technology …. Just installed this unit for the ease of use and I don’t use GPS Plotting … The turn on and go for the sonar is perfect for me , BUT I would also like to use the Downscan feature also … That’s my problem . The Very Small instruction book that came with it does not show how to access each feature . Pictures is the manual that came with it . Just 4 pages of what is on the unit , but not how to use them that I see …

I need some one to tell me what buttons to push from start to finish … to turn on the Downscan . And can it be locked in to come on when you turn the unit on like the sonar is ? HELP !!!!
    Thanks

Attachments:
    1. DSC00134.jpg

2. DSC00133.jpg

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

You should see this screen when you press the Pages button.

Attachments:
    1. 20190122_153425.jpg

Doug Ramey

That would be cool , but when I push the pages button .. I get what is in picture . If I push it a second time , it starts dimming the screen . I have clicked everything on this screen with no luck … so far. I am sure its there . Just need to un-lock the secret path to it. THANKS for the help .

Attachments:
    1. DSC00151.jpg

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Have you turned off the simulation mode? You should find that in the systems window.

Doug Ramey

No , I have not. I will try that tomorrow and report back . THANKS

Doug Ramey

OK … simulation mode was off …. see picture … Good try , but the hunt for the path to the Downscan screen continues …
    THANKS Aleb . It was a good try ….

Attachments:
    1. DSC00153.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

it sounds like you either don’t have the split shot ducer, or else it’s not properly selected in your ducer settings.

Try this.

Doug Ramey

OK … its a brand new unit in box I just bought .. so I would think the transducer would be correct ??? Surely Lowrance wouldn’t goof that up ?? I will be gone all day tomorrow , so will check ducer setting out Friday and report back then my findings … Wish me luck … and THANKS tangler for the help … I will be back on the lakes this March chasing bass … so I have a month to figure this out ????

Anyone know where I can order a correct instruction book ( with more then 5 pages ) for just the Hook 2 5X GPS / SplitShot HDI model I have here ?? The ones online are for 6 or 7 different units all in one … and nothing really about what I have . Any help is appreciated …

THANKS Guys and Gals

Attachments:
    1. DSC00155.jpg

2. DSC00157.jpg

3. DSC00156.jpg

Doug Ramey

OK tangler … spend 20 minutes trying to find a setting for the transducer . No Luck . I don’t think there is a selection for that on this unit ?? Any other ideas , let me know. THANKS

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Download manual here

Click on “MANUALS & SOFTWARE UPDATES”

What do you see when you select Sonar from the Settings menu?

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Hey Doug have you tried looking on you tube? There are lots of videos that may help

Doug Ramey

I have watched quite a few … with none showing what I am after . There is not much on this lower end Lowrance.

I have a message sent into Lowrance asking for a better manual , but have not heard back from them yet.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

What do you see when you select Sonar from the Settings menu?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

What do you see when you select the Data Overlay menu?

Doug Ramey

This is what I get when I click on Sonar

Attachments:
    1. DSC00160.jpg

Doug Ramey

On Data Overlay … all it does is click on and off … Red bar at top off and no bar is on I believe … see pictures … Does not give you any choice of what you can do with it other then on and off …

Attachments:
    1. DSC00164.jpg

2. DSC00162.jpg

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Are you pressing button #5 Menu/Enter after highlighting selections?

Doug Ramey

Yes , on Sonar / Depth Offset … #5 just goes to the screen to change the depth .

On the Data Display … #5 just turns it Off and On …

Doug Ramey

OK … I finally found a how to do video on line … JUST MY LUCK … it is not in English … DAMN !!! Towards the end of the video it shows a blue screen setting which I have ?? Is this the downscan ? I thought it was a brown screen ?

matt

I realize its not the same unit but My elite 7 would not display the downscan page either until i went into the installation page and picked the correct transducer to run the downscan.Possibly yours is the same.

Doug Ramey

Hi Matt …. this was mentioned in a earlier post , but if I have that feature , I can not find it , or how to enter it . And my little 5 page Quick Guide that came with the new unit does not mention it that I see …
    Thanks

Doug Ramey

OK …. got word back from lowrance … the blank blue page is the downscan on the Hook 2 units … even though the box and Hook 2 , 5 page Quick Guide show it being a brown / black screen . Picture attached of screen . Kinda un-happy about this as I bought the unit for the Downscan and was wanting a brown / black screen like the box showed .

Also I asked for a User Manual for the Hook 2 I have … they have nothing other then the Quick Guide for it , which is not to helpful . They said go online and I can find info , but if I am out on the water and need it… Online does me know good at all …

I am a little disappointed with Lowrance right now …

Attachments:
    1. DSC00179.jpg

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Go online and print it off and you can take the manual with you.

Doug Ramey

This is a picture of the box it came in … shows picture of downscan being brown … and that is what I wanted … not a blue screen that it came with . Oh Well , Live and Learn …

Attachments:
    1. DSC00181.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

I have a similar unit Doug – it’s a Hook2 5 Tripleshot. My downscan was set to blue by default as well. I’m not sure if this the case with yours, but on mine I can select from different color schemes for the various different screens. With your downscan open on the screen, hit the “enter” button and you should get a menu that pops in from the far right side of your screen. At the top should be a “Mode” button (for switching between “auto” and “custom” sonar settings) and at the bottom I have a button that says “More options.” When I click that button, I get sub-menu for “Range Lines” and “Palette.” Click on palette and you can change the color. You can do this on traditional sonar as well, change to a blue background or several others.

One other thing I noticed — in your second post above in response to Dan’s question about what you see when hit your pages button, you posted an image. And you said the screen dimmed when you hit that button a second time. For what it’s worth it sure sounds like you are hitting the POWER button and not the pages button. The pages button is in the top left and looks like 2 white rectangles. When I tap power button once on my unit, I get the exact image you posted.

Hope it’s working out for ya!

nu98walleye

x2 what tangler said – Your unit most likely is just defaulted to the blue downscan palette.

Press Menu from the Downscan page – Select Downscan Options – Select color

Attachments:
    1. Hook-5-color-platte.png

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Yes once you can navigate to the palette section, you will be able to choose your brown/black screen color mode

Doug Ramey

Here is the screen I get … can’t find anything that allows me to change color ….

Attachments:
    1. Lowraance-2.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

Man, I’m out of ideas Doug. I don’t get that screen unless I push the POWER button. If I hit the ENTER button (the one with the arrow), then I get what I described.

It sounds to me like the “X” model units are just not as customizable as the standard units. I did easily find the 34-page manual for your unit with a quick google search, but I don’t see anything in that manual about changing color palette.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hey Doug, print out the online manual, put in plastic sleeves & then in a 3 ring binder and keep it in the boat. Skim through it at home and highlight points of interest.

No help with the unit, but there has to be a palette selection.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.