Need an assist with boat issues

• Wildlifeguy

Hey guys, in need of the years of collective wisdom. I’m on vacation, boat’s acting up, and I’m novice enough that I’m afraid to hurt more than help in fixing it. I’ll try to keep things brief, 2003 Merc 50, oil injected, rebuilt, new to the boat 2 years ago. Been running fine all year, last time out before vacation, had what I believe is a fuel restriction alarm in the throttle/key? which is original to the boat a 91 alumacraft. Turned off the motor, it didn’t come back, thought nothing of it. Got to the lake for vacation, boat ran fine the first 2 days, then on day three had the motor cut out under throttle, bulb was soft, pumped up, fired up, no issue the rest of the day. Let it sit a day, due to weather, wouldn’t fire after. Let it sit again, fired up today, first turn, died after 100 yds 1/4 throttle, wouldn’t start again for another 10 minutes, when it fired after 30 secs cranking on high idle. Drove around the bay full bore, no issue, when I cut to bring it in to the dock alarm came on again. Is this a fuel line issue, meaning from the motor to the tank, or is it something more serious? Should I be trying to run it, or just leave it until I need to get off the lake? Am I completely on the wrong track? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Hate to tell you this, but this sounds exactly like what happened to my boat a few years back during day 2 of my trip to WInnie… I wound up being an voltage regulator (IIRC) that is water cooled somehow and was not getting cooled properly and burned up. First night there I motored out and when I put it up on plane it died after about 250 yards… Had to be towed in. Next morning boat started right up and ran for a short time. The only time I had an alarm was right before it died while I was on plane. My motor was a 1999 75 2 Stroke merc. Mechanic said it was very common for them to burn up.

Wildlifeguy

And was it a relatively simple fix ie. replace the part? I have pretty much wrote off this trip, but I hope I’m not dead in the water for the rest of the season.

Iowaboy1

Wildlifeguy, it sounds like you are having two separate issues.
    If you are getting a constant beeeeeeepppp, that is an over temp alarm.
    beep beep beep is an low oil level alarm or a low oil pressure alarm if that motor is equipped with a sensor on the crank driven oil injection pump.

As far as the bulb not staying pumped up, that is related to a fuel system issue, it could be as simple as a bad bulb or collapsing hose especially if it is one of those gray epa hoses that has an inner liner that is known for coming apart and plugging the fitting at the motor or fouling the check valves in the fuel pump.

I’m sending you a PM with the shops phone number, I am here now if you want to call and I will walk you through a couple of things to look at.
    Have your serial number handy when you call as I need to verify which injection system that has.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Your a good man Sheldon. You have good help Wildlifeguy hope he can save your trip.

Wildlifeguy

Thank you so much Sheldon, for taking the time to help me sort through what might be going on, I feel like I have a handle on what I need to do now, instead of a bunch of questions. Taking the time out of your day to help a total stranger, much less calling me back to check in, goes far above and beyond what I could ever expect. In case anyone didn’t already know, you’re a treasure to this community, and we’re all just lucky beneficiaries of your continued contributions.

Iowaboy1

You are welcome sir, I’ve walked a mile in your shoes and a bunch of folks helped me along the way years ago.
    I’m just paying it forward to honor them and I enjoy doing so.
    That and I like keeping Karma on my side!!
    Best of luck getting the rest of your vacation in without any further problems.
    You have my number, never be afraid to call.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.