Need advice on boat accessories purchase

• David F Baldwin

I’m looking for some advice. I’m purchasing a 2018 Triton Fishunter. I’ve always fished aluminum and this will be my first glass boat. I fish medium to larger lakes, and a few times LBDN, GB, ERIE, etc.
    It comes equipped with two Garman graphs, minnkota electric trolling motor and 9.9 kicker. What I’m wondering about is what do you recommend adding?
    Keel guard, seat springs, drotto latch, etc. ……Thanks for your help!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Keel gaurd for sure.
    Air wave or Wave pro seat pedestals.
    Marine radio.

Does the Minnkota come with Spot lock? If not get it.

tanner voeller

do you fish at night often? can never have enough lights in the boat for those late nights. led light strips under the seats and console are a good add-on.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

For sure on the Keel Guard. After fishing LOTW a couple times last year without air ride seats I wish I would’ve done that in my glass boat.

I know some guys swear by the drotto but I’d spend my money on other stuff. With a bunk trailer I don’t think you need one. I load and unload by myself all the time and once you figure out the right depth it’s easy with the bunks.

If you are fishing those bodies of water you’ll likely want some type of rod holders or track system if you don’t have it.

And a real good cooler….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A nice set of trailer steps.
    It should be illegal to sell a fiberglass boat without a keel guard. grin

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I wouldn’t fish big water without downriggers.

David F Baldwin

Again, thank you all for your great feedback and ideas! I’m looking forward to getting out fishing with the “new to me” boat this coming spring. If you think of anything else I’m listening!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Does it have a VHF radio yet? Some places that I fish has cell service and some don’t. Highly recommend a VHF radio.

walleyewizard

If you’re fishing Great Lakes waters be aware of Coast Guard requirements: flares, whistles, and definitely a VHF radio.

David F Baldwin

Great adds guys! I have flares, whistles and VHF radio from fishing LBDN years ago during it’s glory days.
    Thank you all for the great input!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For sure on the Keel Guard. After fishing LOTW a couple times last year without air ride seats I wish I would’ve done that in my glass boat.

I know some guys swear by the drotto but I’d spend my money on other stuff. With a bunk trailer I don’t think you need one. I load and unload by myself all the time and once you figure out the right depth it’s easy with the bunks.

If you are fishing those bodies of water you’ll likely want some type of rod holders or track system if you don’t have it.

And a real good cooler….

^x2 The drotto has it’s place, but once you develop a pattern and experience with a bunk trailer it isn’t worth the money. I load/unload mine just as efficiently without as I would with. Roller trailers may be another story.

Everything else mentioned seems spot-on, especially the keel guard. My only other advice would be to start without thinking you will buy “everything” you need ahead of time. There are certain items that some people use and not others. Hit the water a few times and you will know. I’ve got quite a few fishing buddies with a lot of costly accessories and set-ups sitting in their garages collecting dust. One has a talon on his boat that I’ve yet to see deployed in 3 years doah

joemama
    North St Paul

Do not go cheap on the rod holders…worth their weight in gold. You will get what you pay for.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Fish it a couple of times and then figure out what you feel is missing. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff that I thought was great but ended up not seeing the use I expected. I do this now for every hobby rather than just buying right away. Money isn’t a huge issue but I learned by getting rid of so much stuff in the past that I thought I needed.

catnip
    south metro

How about a grill? Or am i the only one that prefers burgers and steaks over sandwiches? And definitely a vhf radio.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Do you have a Trollmaster for the kicker? Leelock steering fin for the Minn Kota.

David F Baldwin

I do have a troll master for the kicker. What is a Leelock steering fin? Not familiar with that option. Thanks……

rswan
    Lakeville, MN

Trick step stairs. Here is how they look on a fishunter.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200822_144225144.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I do have a troll master for the kicker. What is a Leelock steering fin? Not familiar with that option. Thanks……

10X the steering response and a must have for wind.

#LMS-01 Magnum Skeg

David F Baldwin

Thank you for the advice on that leelock skag option! Looks great and I’m sure it’s helpful.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Flares have expiration dates…

David F Baldwin

Good advice, I’ll buy some new ones this coming spring. Thanks!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.