Need Advice – Aug/Sept Back-Up Fishing Trip

• bnbblake

Due to the Canada border possibly remaining closed for some time, we are looking for a place in Minnesota for late August / early September. We like to fish for smallmouth, pike, and walleyes in that order and am considering Kabetogama. Would like to go to a lodge where the owner can give us very good fishing advice since we would be rookies on a new body of water. I do have my own boat. All suggestions would be appreciated.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Kab sucks, go to vermilion.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

With the border being closed, you’ll be hard pressed to find an opening on Rainy, Kab or Vermilion because most everyone has made the switch. From what I’m hearing and reading, these lakes are seeing more boats than ever before.

With that being said, what i did when I had a hunch our Canadian trip wouldn’t happen, is i took a shotgun approach and emailed every resort i could find on these lakes. We needed 3 cabins for mid-July and luckily, 2 of the many resorts i contacted had that availability.

I would suggest doing the same. Google Kabetogama resorts, and Rainy Lake resorts or Vermilion resorts and just start emailing all of them. Just a simple copy & paste statement asking if they have what you’re needing or looking for, then cross your fingers & hope for the best.

My suggestion, if you get responses with openings, is to then read online reviews to see what people are saying. Also post here on IDO and ask if people know anything about a resort you’re interested in. Chances are, somebody on here has info/experience.

Personally, I didn’t wait for the official border closure announcement to be made. I started a good 10 days before the announcement with emails to resorts. I wanted to get the jump on those who were holding out hope, waiting for an official announcement.

Also, your options might be slim pickings, so I wouldn’t be too picky if you’re really wanting to go. The only thing that would deter me from making a decision on an opening would be bad reviews of accommodations or service.

We head to Kab/Nam on Saturday for a week long stay. Never been on Namakan, and vacationed/fished Kab once back in 1995. I’ll try to give a daily report if cell service from our cabin is good enough to log on.

Best of luck to you!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you have AT&T your cell service will be fine.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Yeah, that’s what Deb said too. We use Verizon though, so we’ll see how it goes. My hope is to log on so people can know what isn’t working for me. lol Honestly though, I hope to put something together that would be useful to those that have yet to come up. Might be quite a challenge with weather conditions this year.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I have ATT as my carrier and cell reception was spotty last week on Rainy Lake.
    Fishing was pretty damn spotty too. doah

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have ATT as my carrier and cell reception was spotty last week on Rainy Lake.
    Fishing was pretty damn spotty too. doah

Rainy is not Kab. There is a tower right on the Ash Trail Road. I get better reception there than at home in Princeton.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.