Ned rig jig weights

• Dr. Pomoxis

I’m new to the Ned rig. Does anyone have a “rule of thumb” when it comes to jighead weight and depth of fishing? I have a lot of 8-10 foot structure with rock or with heavy weeds, and also a lot of 14-20 foot structure. How heavy do you use at those too depths, or am I being too simplistic?

Thanks!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The only thing that makes me change my ned rig weight is wind. I use a 1/10 oz typically however I’ll switch to a 1/5 oz to keep it on the bottom if the wind is blowing me around a bit. (These are Zman shroom heads fyi).

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

I’ve used jig worms in the past, but just started using the official z-man Ned rig last year. It sure works at times. Mostly fishing 10ft or less with it so far. I use a BaitCast setup with the 1/5 Jig and the 4″ TRD. Catch a lot of fish with that. I will also use a spinning rod sometimes and then I use the 1/10 jig and same 4″ worm. Just falls slower. I bought some of the 1/6 jigs in case I want to fish deeper.

I’ve caught a lot of fish with these the past 2-3 weeks or so. If your not on the fish though, it can be a bit tedious and is getting pretty close to walleye fishing then! Good luck.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I haven’t done well with the ned in thick weeds. It tends to get hung up too much. I tried the one with the weed guard too, but that didn’t really do much. Its better for more scattered vegetation and on a hard substrate rather than in the jungle. A texas rigged plastic slides through thick weeds better.

FryDog62

I agree and the Ned isn’t a jungle jig… however, more and more I Texas Rig a TRD with a #1 VMC Neko hook and then use a 1/8 oz nail weight in the thick end of the worm. A lot more weedless this way for me than the jig with a thin weedguard.

I think the typical mushroom/Ned jig snag up a ton, but the Texas rigging seems to work really well. And the TRD is so soft I really don’t think I miss any hook ups.

The 1/8 oz seems to work in most situations best, but I’ll occasionally go with a 1/16 oz nail weight… but I’m a baitcasting guy..

A Ned set I stumbled across and often wield is based on a RED #4 Gammy EWG Texas Rigged on a TRD or any smaller ZMan plastic, as well as 3” swim baits if mimicking the smaller baitfish in Kanawha River where I usually fish. Above the hook I’ll peg a 1/32 or 1/16 oz. BPS cylindrical finesse slip sinker.
    This setup easily slips thru grass beds or brush, and rarely hangs up in rocky or boulder strewn areas. When it does hang, a “bowstring” snap of your line will almost always dislodge your rig. The Gammy hook is very strong…I’ve caught many Flatheads up to 15lbs, and many large 12-15lbs Drum, and easily handled them all…Plus it’s a long term money saver compared to buying jigheads.

Attachments:
    1. 1C79F1E8-603C-448E-B17D-2B8729A4A6D2.jpeg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.