Natural gas grills

• dirtywater

I’m in the market for a new natural gas (not propane) grill. For the past 15 years I have lovingly maintained the vintage charmglow in our backyard, sourcing replacement parts from various places online. I think I’ve finally hit my limit of investing in this little piece of American bbq history. Would very much like to stick with a natural gas grill. We already have the line in place and I absolutely love the convenience of an always-ready grill, no tanks to mess with. We also have a Weber charcoal grill that we supplement with but for various reasons not ready to make that our full-time option (we use the grill about 3x a week all year long).

I’m not looking for a huge grill, family of 4 and only 3 of us eat meat. Don’t do a lot of entertaining etc. and don’t need/want the crazy bells and whistles, just a reliable grill that can be dialed in to temp fairly consistently.

Right now I’m just starting to look around and am considering the Weber Spirit II E-310. Looking for any feedback on this grill, or recommendations for alternatives. Trying to stay under $750.

Thanks!

tim hurley

Gas is so convenient, I cannot taste a difference w/chicken or chops.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not sure on the model but have a friend that has the Webber propane and he loves it.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Gas is so convenient, I cannot taste a difference w/chicken or chops.

Sorry no help to the answer but if you can’t tell the difference betweeen gas charcoal your doing something wrong.

stevenoak

I have the 100 and 300Q series Weber, 100 for travel. Great when times a factor. Beef, esp. burgers are ok on it. But wait till times not an issue for chicken. Parts on the Weber charcoal kettle or spatchcock on the Treager. Also, grille fish on gas grille, no complaints.

picklerick
    Central WI

My mom has a Spirit running off a natural gas line. I do all my grilling over wood or charcoal at home. When I’m at her house for get togethers they want me to do all the grilling. I always get it done on that grill. It never tastes as good and it seems to have very uneven hot spots, so there’s a lot of juggling things around when feeding a crowd. Before my dad passed I was visiting on a Sat and went out back and noticed the grill was on. I went back in and asked when was the last time anyone used the grill. My dad had made pork chops and it had been running for 2-3 days. I bet that was the last time it was clean inside, too.

tim hurley

Supercat thought I might be blaspheming on this site! Steaks and burgers for me lump charcoal is the way to go-BIG difference, wife loves those little chicken strips, we marinate and grill them, not sure I can taste the difference, like dirtywater I’m out there in Jan. at the grill, not gonna mess with coals when its 10 above-so that’s my deal.

MX1825

Weber all the way. When i lived in town I had a NG grill from Weber. Never had to replace the burner or ignitor. Had it for 30 years and it still worked when we sold the house.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

What is the benefit of natural gas verses propane other than the tank refilling with propane. Had breakfast with guys up at cabin a couple weeks ago and they were talking about the possibility of running natural gas out to the lake we are on. I couldn’t understand why we would want to run a natural gas line all the way out to the lake/cabin. Is it just for convenience of not having to fill your grill tank or propane tank for heating? Is natural gas cheaper than propane?

dirtywater

What is the benefit of natural gas verses propane other than the tank refilling with propane. Had breakfast with guys up at cabin a couple weeks ago and they were talking about the possibility of running natural gas out to the lake we are on. I couldn’t understand why we would want to run a natural gas line all the way out to the lake/cabin. Is it just for convenience of not having to fill your grill tank or propane tank for heating? Is natural gas cheaper than propane?

I think it’s kind of a wash. NG is technically cheaper than propane, but propane will put out nearly twice the btu’s so it burns hotter and lasts longer. But I don’t really care about the cost because the convenience of having an unlimited supply is too great and that’s what we’re used to.

NG also is technically better for the environment. Not a huge factor in my decision, but not a negative either.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We have a Weber genesis 4 burner natural gas grill and we love it. I think I paid $899 for or a couple years ago. The 3 burner is probably in your range but it might be worth paying a little extra for a larger grill.

Regardless, you can’t go wrong. I’d look at your local Ace store for one. Weber doesn’t allow discounting but my local guys threw in some accessories, delivered it for free, and I got a bunch of discounts on other stuff. I’d prefer to support the local guys if I can.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have a extra one in my garage you can have. Good condition. They are vegan so I’m guessing it grilled some vegetables. My sister in law for some reason thought we could use two of them.

dirtywater

I have a extra one in my garage you can have. Good condition. They are vegan so I’m guessing it grilled some vegetables. My sister in law for some reason thought we could use two of them.

That’s super kind of ya. This will be a bday gift from the wife and she’s all jazzed about it because she says I’m “impossible to buy for.” (just buy shad raps in every color, done!) so I’m gonna stick with the plan but I do appreciate the offer.

MX1825

As Matt posted go to Ace they run sales all the time and assembly is free. Don’t know if they will have NG models in stock though.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds good. If anyone else wants it here is a photo. Weber Spirit.

Attachments:
    1. 20230810_092322-scaled.jpg

Umy
    South Metro

Mike – can you use Propane with this grill? I am in the market to buy another one as ours crapped out. I use both Weber performer charcoal and a gas grill.

I would gladly drive up and take it off you hands if it can use propane!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

No propane conversion kit for it. Think that’s how we ended up with it. Wife got it for the farm and was going to convert it to propane.

Going on line I think there is actually a way to convert it but it’s a little more that just switching offices.

Umy
    South Metro

Mike, first off – in hindsight meant no disrespect on saying “I would gladly drive up and take it off you hands if it can use propane!” That is a seriously generous offer to Dirtywater.
    Didn’t want to come across like a D-Bag
    I AM looking for a new grill. My neighbor gave me her Charcoal Weber Performer 4 years ago as it didn’t work anymore. $15 ignitor, a little pressure wash and it is a MACHINE! They don’t even own a shovel for the winter time. When the button doesn’t make the little thing spark anymore it must be toast?! My good fortune.
    That being said you can order the conversion kit for $55 online. Have ones for all the models, yours included.
    I am still in the market and would not expect it for free if you are still interested in letting it go.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Okay. One case of Coors light and its yours.

612 501 7089

hillhiker
    SE MN

I had the Weber Genesis NG 3 burner grill built into a outdoor bar/kitchen area before I ripped it out to make room for the new garage. It always worked great and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if I was in the market.

Coletrain27

nice thing about the weber brand is that if you ever need new burners or other parts they are normally replaceable compared to some of the cheaper brands out there

dirtywater

Appreciate the feedback everyone. Sounds like Weber it is.

Follow-up. This NG line exits the basement laundry room underground and continues buried for a length of approx 6-8 feet under our patio, comes out in the grass on the other side of the patio. The line is currently hidden inside the pole that serves as the base of the old grill. When I rip that grill and pole out, I am gonna be left with a NG connection that’s literally just coming out of the grass. I am considering a couple options:

Leave the line in the pole. Cut the pole as short as possible, cap it off, and install new connection with shutoff on that pole.

Drill a hole in the bottom shelf of the new grill so the line comes through and sits under the grill itself.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Appreciate the feedback everyone. Sounds like Weber it is.

Follow-up. This NG line exits the basement laundry room underground and continues buried for a length of approx 6-8 feet under our patio, comes out in the grass on the other side of the patio. The line is currently hidden inside the pole that serves as the base of the old grill. When I rip that grill and pole out, I am gonna be left with a NG connection that’s literally just coming out of the grass. I am considering a couple options:

Leave the line in the pole. Cut the pole as short as possible, cap it off, and install new connection with shutoff on that pole.

Drill a hole in the bottom shelf of the new grill so the line comes through and sits under the grill itself.

You’re going to want a flexible line coming off your current line so you can move the grill. I had the same thing and I put a new shut off on the line and built a small box around the line with 6” black pvc.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.