Natural gas fireplace

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I am looking to purchase and have installed a natural gas fireplace in my family room. probably a small wall mount unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. in Hudson WI
    Thanks in advance

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Make sure you get the one with electric start vs p-light, I got a $75 rebate from the gas company.

djshannon
    Crosslake

There a lot of questions that go into the decision process. The big one is how do you plan to use it? Supplemental heat? Backup heat during a power outage? Ventless? Direct vent? Stack vent? Efficiency? Fresh air intake?

I have one in my great room, provides backup heat during power outages for my in floor hot water heat, vents and draws fresh air through the roof stack, is about 85% efficient. My in floor heat is 95% efficient.

I use it prominently in the spring and fall to heat the house. Once I turn on the in floor heat I reduce the thermostat setting on the fireplace and use it as backup heating.

My wife love it. Good luck on your decision.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Haley Comfort Systems in Hastings sold us one 10 years ago and it has been flawless. I installed it at our small cabin and it has been the main source of heat year-round when we are there ever since.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Make sure you get the one with electric start vs p-light, I got a $75 rebate from the gas company.

One thing you need to consider, if you go with electronic ignition and you lose power to your home, you lose all your heat. We put a standing Pilot Fireplace in as a back up in case of an emergency.

big_g
    Isle, MN

there is now way to light an electric ignition fireplace without electricity ? very poor design IMHO.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same here. Our cabin gas fireplace doubles as backup in case power goes out so our pipes dont freeze. It is stand alone with pilot and a milivolt thermostat. Needs no electricity to run.
    Only the fan does which is not that important.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.