Mylar Emergency Blanket vs Reflectix for Portable Insulation?

• Al Case

I’m thinking about trying these emergency blankets instead of Reflectix that many ice fishermen use for my uninsulated portables…..clam sytle and hub portables. Any thoughts on how well the blankets would work? I can get them on eBay and Amazon for about $1 each and they’re 52″ by 84″.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Mylar-Thermal-Blankets-Pack/dp/B000GCRWCG/ref=pd_sbs_468_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41IzcMTuARL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1X1SR0ZAGZQHXCAWQ142

munchy
    NULL

The problem with the blanket is unless you figure out a way to create a gap you are not getting a layer of insulating air to help with condensation. Also Mylar tears very easily so if it’s loose it will be tearing apart. The only thing the Mylar will help with is airflow.

Al Case

Thanks for the reply, Munch

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have a heavy duty emergency blanket for overnights in boat or on ice. It’s thick like a tarp and will not tear as easily.

It’ll reject back heat better than stock house material, very few things prevent condensation over long periods of use in cold weather.

Personally, I just bring more heater.

ontario2016

I used reflectix in my older clam voyager a couple years ago and it was a great decision. With it being a thicker material it keeps the condensation down and keeps a lot of the heat inside. I’m going on three years with that setup with no issues. Best 25 bucks (at the time) I spent to keep my house warmer. The reflectix cuts easily for the back window without reinforcement and I installed it on the top of my portable. I’d imagine that if I had used the Mylar blankets it would have torn in a hurry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.