My windshield door is tight

• Bartman

I have a 2017 Ranger Angler. Over the past two years the middle hinged part of the windshield is getting tight and hard to close. As far as I can tell the windshield assembly is tight and has not shifted or loosened. I think with a little gentle grinding on the frame I can loosen things up a bit. BUT…..here is my question…will the glass pane shatter if I do this? Will the window break if I just leave it be????

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Are you referring to the latch side that contacts the starboard (driver’s) windshield? Has the center “door” sagged so that the top doesn’t line up with the starboard side? If so, I would look at adjusting/shimming the port side windshield to get it back in line. I just had to have my port side windshield replaced after it shattered. Dealership shimmed up the port console so that the window lines up and closes like new again.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

. As far as I can tell the windshield assembly is tight and has not shifted or loosened. I think with a little gentle grinding on the frame I can loosen things up a bit.

I would suggest adjusting the fit, rather than grind the frame.

Ripjiggen

Ditto do not grind the frame. It came loose somewhere.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

X3. You also want to get it back to spec. There should be some space between the swing window and frame. If it stays tight like it is now, just a matter of time before you smack a wave and the hull flex pops one of your windows out of the frame.

Don’t ask how I know…. coffee

-J.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Every. Single. Day. I’m reminded why I love my tiller so much!

Definitely don’t grind the frame. That won’t end well… Something somewhere is moving, and there aren’t a lot of options for it to be. Start checking them out. I’d assume there’s somewhere to adjust the reveal.

Bartman

I will try to shim it. Have to study is some more. I can’t see a way to shim it but there must be a way…..
    Thanks

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I will try to shim it. Have to study is some more. I can’t see a way to shim it but there must be a way…..
    Thanks

The entire windshield frame may actually NOT be loose. It could be the mounting surfaces have sagged bringing the frame closer together over time.

The mounting bolts should have heads that slid in a track along the underside of the frame. The nuts will be exposed under the mounting surface. Loosen the nuts, slide the frame back a few millimeters until you get the door clearance you desire. The gap may NOT be exactly the same (parallel) top to bottom, but most never are.

Do a search for “how boat windshields are installed”.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I think at some point they all start to sag somewhat, at least every one I have seen or people I know that have had full windshield boats (including me)

Ripjiggen

My ranger doesn’t sag and it’s older than that.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

My ranger doesn’t sag and it’s older than that.

Must baby it too much. devil

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

A carpenter friend I had showed me a trick years ago. He used plain old wax bought at the grocery store (Gulfwax)…I think it’s in the baking section. He used it on sticky windows, doors etc as a dry lubricant. I use it from time to time, most recently on my daughters storm door on the latch to make it close easier. It’s little rectangles of hard wax about 2-1/2″ x 4″ x 1/2″ or so and I just wipe it on. Works wonders and a cheap box of it will last about 347 years easy! Worth a try anyway…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.