My WI 21’ gun season

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

After such a miserable season last year, I promised myself to be more upbeat and optimistic this year.

Opening day before shooting time:
    A dozen or so deer ram beneath me in my sanctuary as the pumpkin patch was growing in the public access land adjoining me. From various directions, shots ringing out nearly a half hour early.

3 fawns and a doe leave the sanctuary and head down food plot towards public. Moment out of sight, 10 or 11 shots bark out. Over next 2 hours pass on 3 little bucks. Each goes into neighboring land and Bullets are blazing. Another doe and 2 fawns leave sanctuary and are shot at immediately on neighbors land. 10 am. Pass a decent 8 chasing a doe, buddy takes the buck when it goes by him. Monster 8 comes out in my field and I miss. Not thing till about closing and a fawn comes out of sanctuary into my cut corn

Sunday- shots ring out about 45 minutes early in the dark. At legal light, 1 doe and fawn cross my food plot and exit into neighboring land. Gates of hell open up and about 15-18 shots. Hear people yelling “got them”. Nothing more until about 15 minutes left in day. Very small young 10 walks across my field – I passed

Monday 7am missed monster 8 again – saw dirt fly up well short of deer. Walked back to house and swapped rifles. Nothing rest of day

Ties, wed, Thursday, Friday – nothing but few squirrels and a skunk.

Saturday- 530am to 12:30 nothing – had to quit and take care of dad. 1:30 dove atv out to stands to recover cushions, trash,…. Doe and baby 8 eating in food plot. Drive atv around back side of my tree planting found small dead buck, 2 dead young does and couple gut piles. Went to pull trail cams at southern end of property to find 3 (three) have been stolen and another gut pile. Then like a kick in the sack, I see that I’m missing a two man tree stand and a portable blind I had set up along the side of my property on a hay wagon. I drove over by the hay wagon and I have slashed tires. In disbelief, I idle along the neighboring land that is in public access and see all my no trespassing signs are gone.
    Said screw it and left- ran to pharmacy for dad. Came back and had Godzilla walk in front of my truck crossing the road into my sanctuary. After months of vague sightings, got a perfect view of him. 3 main beams, was able to count 15 pints, plus all kinds of extra junk he had. Hopefully he survives.

Threw a few things in my truck and went home to see my wife for a couple days before going back up.

Muzzle loader is trashed and waiting on replacement barrel. So no ML season for me.

So, I tell myself that if I say “I’m happy” about 10000 times I might believe it………..I’m happy, I’m happy, I’m happy, I’m happy

Today I set a target at 100ytds and shot 3 rounds from my short mag. About 12” low and 8 “ to right. Let cool and shot 1 more. 1 ragged hole from 4 rounds. No freaking clue on what how why. Had a range day a month ago and was 100% spot on perfect. Rifle remained loyal coed in a safe at my farm. So dumbfounded as to what it could be. Bases/rings….perfect. Deal with it another day

I’m happy, I’m happy, I’m happy

Sorry to hear this Randy, nothing worse than thieves and those that can’t respect fellow sportsman.

If you haven’t done so already, take a look at the cellular cameras as they can provide you instant notification of any Camera activity.

I place custom stickers I made up on my cellular cameras that remind people that these are cellular cameras that send real time video, have GPS tracking and that law enforcement will be notified of any tampering with this camera. Seems to work for me. In fact I have had my cameras taken twice in the last 2 years only to quickly be put back a short time later.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Justin, I’ve been thinking cell cams, but it’s the point of it. Why should I have a higher risk and cost on my own property

Justin, I’ve been thinking cell cams, but it’s the point of it. Why should I have a higher risk and cost on my own property

By all means Randy you certainly shouldn’t have to. My point was that those that are stupid enough to do something like this probably need a constant reminder that they’re being watched and will be held accountable. Thieves love what they consider low hanging fruit so reminding them they’re being watched in real time is one of the few lines of defense we really have against individuals that are willing to stoop to this level.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Randy.I think a kick in the sack or three would be a good start on the thieves and pi$$ poor shots.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

By all means Randy you certainly shouldn’t have to. My point was that those that are stupid enough to do something like this probably need a constant reminder that they’re being watched and will be held accountable. Thieves love what they consider low hanging fruit so reminding them they’re being watched in real time is one of the few lines of defense we really have against individuals that are willing to stoop to this level.

We’re on the same page. Just frustrated

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Man that is tough to hear. I can recall your stories during Wisconsin deer season in the past and it’s unfortunate that things haven’t improved. Sure sounds like a lot of illegal early shooting on the neighboring property. Did you ever figure out what happened with your rifle?

MX1825

That just sucks Randy. I would call CO and clue him in on what happened this year or have him come out and show him around. The slashed tires, where cameras were placed, etc. Next year I would call him before the season and remind him of the issues of opening day by your farm. He might just set up in the area next year and add some $$$ to the state budget.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Did you ever figure out what happened with your rifle?

nope, just test shot and put away. I’ll deal with it later

Next year I would call him before the season and remind him

unless hard proof of who, co can’t do squat

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Having a multitude of things to be pissed off by from slashed tires, stolen cameras, and dead deer found, you came out of that much better than 95% of the rest of us would have dealt with this.
    Unfortunately you are a rare breed Randy. Wish people could be more like you and your attitude that you bring to unfortunate situations like you recently encountered. A lot of us(me included) can learn from people like you. Thanks for this reminder of how to try to deal with crap like this vs. an automatic knee jerk reaction.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Unfortunately you are a rare breed Randy. Wish people could be more like you and your attitude that you bring to unfortunate situations

Appreciate the kind words. I’ve been blessed to have the strength to stay calm and respond -not react in very stressful situations. My problem is the secondary reaction. I remind myself often that if I “react” there is no defense and then I’m the aggressor. However, if I catch someone in the act, Lord have mercy.

B-man

Hey Randy, sorry to hear about your experience this year.

Before I go on, I have a muzzleloader you can use (scoped TC Pro Hunter). Seriously, just come pick it up, I won’t be using it this year.

As for the early shooting, if they’re literally shooting 30-45 minutes before legal shooting light, they are using a spotlight or headlights (unless you had snow and a moon). Those monkeybutts should have been pretty easy to catch.

As for shooting deer you passed up, there’s nothing you or I can do about it. Gun season in Wisconsin is what it is. I’ve been in your shoes a ton of times with passing up deer just to hear shots ring out minutes later.

The stolen trail cams, slashed tires, stolen no trespassing signs, and stolen stand and blind make me think someone has a personal vendetta against you, not just a random asshole in the woods.

As much as I hate to say it, I’d be putting multiple cell cams out and possibly even sit in that troubled area next year if that’s what it takes. To avoid confrontation you could put a dummy in blaze orange up in a stand?

Anyway, super shitty to hear what you went through and I hope you’re able to find who the likely culprit is.

MNdrifter

Sorry to hear this Randy. You don’t deserve this. People suck. Hope you get a crack at Godzilla to make up for it! waytogo

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

As for shooting deer you passed up, there’s nothing you or I can do about it. Gun season in Wisconsin is what it is. I’ve been in your shoes a ton of times with passing up deer just to hear shots ring out minutes later.
    This is a personal struggle for me and I know it. I get so frustrated because I know the herd local to us has been knocked down to such low numbers. It’s ethics vs legal. We had good numbers and it was fun. We could have 10 to 25 deer out on prime conditions and that was a healthy mix of fawns, yearlings,does and various age bucks. Few years back we got hit with disease and I found 30+ carcasses. Nature at work. So neighbors and I all agreed no does other than kids first deer. Well, one neighbor but his land in the access program and it went to crap. There is very little public land within miles so it’s competitive. Not all, but most are going in there and shoot everything. So it stings when you invest so much time and money to enhance things to have people unknowingly have slaughter fest on every fawn and doe. Yes it’s legal, but it’s detrimental to trying to grow the herd back.

The stolen trail cams, slashed tires, stolen no trespassing signs, and stolen stand and blind make me think someone has a personal vendetta against you, not just a random asshole in the woods.

I’m not the only one. Talked to two of the neighbors and the list of vandalism just grows – electric fence cut, water hydrant destroyed, signs knocked down, hydraulic hoses cut,…. This is what a few do to destroy it for the majority. Fortunately one of the neighbors has trail cam pics of two guys in their barn. Sherrif doesn’t want them public yet.
    Update on my stand- it appears to have been relocated. One of the f the other neighbors found it on their land set up just inside their dense line. I’ll check it out when I get back up there.

I had a few minor things over the last 30 years with trespassing and vandalism. Key is minor. Since this neighbor opened up his land, we are dealing with the scum of the hunting world. I know it’s not all, but come on, we shouldn’t have to deal with this crap

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I would be a thorn in the side of the local CO, it’s his job to enforce all the laws that are being broken and is not fulfilling his duty. I’d make sure he is setup to bust the guys shooting early, and then strongly encourage he spend some time on your fence line for the thieves. Obviously you want to be cordial at first, but if he doesn’t want to do it, he’s got a boss, and his boss has a boss as well, and things roll down hill pretty quick if you are constantly in touch with them. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. This stuff just pisses me off to no end, sorry you have to deal with it Randy! What part of the state is your land in?

the_hat
    SE Metro

Curious as well as to where this is in state.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Southwest WI – Richland County near the Sauk county line

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Randy we have the “loser” I mean late doe season from Dec 9-12 for those of us that didnt score. A chance at redemption or reminder of personal failure. santa

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Southwest WI – Richland County near the Sauk county line

I’ve got 2 buddies who own separate pieces land Southwest of there near Lancaster and Boscobel. Both are huge bow hunters who rarely pull the trigger during rifle season.

The one just harvested a 191″ buck on the bluffs outside Boscobel 2 years ago with his bow. He doesn’t even bother hunting the firearm season there as everyone around him party hunts and rolls with the “if it’s brown, it’s down” mantra. Party hunting is very much alive in this part of WI, moreso than probably anywhere else. The neighbors he has start driving at first light on opening morning with ~25 people – no lie. Party hunting doesn’t necessarily correlate with unethical hunting, but the odds of a lot more shooting and less care about animal maturity are common.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Yuck.

I’m right nearby there – sent you a message, Randy.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy we have the “loser” I mean late doe season from Dec 9-12 for those of us that didnt score. A chance at redemption or reminder of personal failure. santa

I know exactly where I’ll be those days plus the “holiday brown fest” days

JEREMY
    BP

Not trying to be a jerk but maybe your ability to stay calm is not helping you in this situation. I cant even imagine the feeling of going through that after all the hard work you do to make your land a better place. Maybe your to nice of guy and all the assholes next door know it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not trying to be a jerk but maybe your ability to stay calm is not helping you in this situation. I cant even imagine the feeling of going through that after all the hard work you do to make your land a better place. Maybe your to nice of guy and all the assholes next door know it.

So….do I get to put a bullet through their freaking head and splatter their god forsaken poop for brains all over my back field??? It needs fertilizer!!!!

so when I have gotten in my truck and drove down to the parking area for the public access, do I just blow up at everyone? Do I vandalize both the trucks parked there? Do I just assume that because they are parked there, they are guilty?

Plus they don’t seem to discriminate against nice and mean people. One of my neighbors is the meanest SOB I’ve ever met. They vandalize his stuff too

MX1825

Having the CO next year was what I was talking about Randy. Early shooting should be easy for him to catch the a-hole and make an example of him for the rest. Let the CO access the area through your property.
    Early shooting is not only against the law it is dam dangerous.
    You are taking this way more calmly than I would. You are to be commended for your patience.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Party hunting doesn’t necessarily correlate with unethical hunting, but the odds of a lot more shooting and less care about animal maturity are common.

I’d be perfectly fine if both MN and WI dropped party hunting for deer.

basseyes

Like the one co told me, he asked a road hunter what he had to do to get the guy to stop road hunting? He caught the guy 6 times. The guy even complained about blowing out the windshield once and about how it’s hard on his ears. So obviously it wasn’t just 6 times and if someone is that stupid they’ve blown out their windshield and hearing, what makes anyone think a co writing a few tickets is going to stop the behavior? Criminals just don’t care and getting any proof or anything to stick is like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end. These types of people are just arse holes and not sure if there’s a vaccine or pill for that yet, but doubtful there is or ever will be. It’s a suck situation, with a suckfest full of sucky problems, with no good solutions. Unless a co or leo group is motivated to make it stop. But most of those are stretched thin and dealing with all sorts of other issues currently. Feel for you and hope it stops. About the only thing a guy can do is try to make things as hard as possible for people to have access to them. Tcams can be setup with ladders to be out of reach, but that’s a pain to pull cards. Cell cameras are no cure all, but might be helpful if they could be set high enough they couldn’t get to them. Equipment vandalism is just dumb arse dirty pool. Not much a guy can do for that other than hide it in weird spots. Early shooters are idiots and not going away, so hard to catch or convict. Getting a trespassing conviction to stick is expensive and rarely has the desired outcome unless someone in the system is highly motivated to get it to stick. There’s a lot of dbags that hunt deer that have zero care about anything other than killing a deer. Being a prick to anyone and everyone would probably make the situation worse and just lead to a path down the road of bitterness. But man living with that type of behavior every year would strip all the joy out of owning and working on a piece of dirt. Might be better to sell and find a different situation, but that’s a tall task and ties to areas run deep. And no way to know if it’s a better situation going into something else either. Plus the sweat equity put into something is hard to give up on. Anything that borders or is close to public land is great, but it by its nature invites problems.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

You are taking this way more calmly than I would. You are to be commended for your patience.

Patience wins marathons. These a-holes will make mistakes; if they haven’t already. By the area they have covered trespassing, they are too comfortable. I don’t have faith in our CO, but I appreciate the sheriff Dept for by us. Zero tolerance and they are determined to hammer someone for the vandalism. They will get’m. Just takes time

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Hope they get nailed, Randy. Just reading about it makes me pissed for you.

JEREMY
    BP

Ya I said go splatter their brains. I meant maybe since nothing has been said or no CO or police have been there to ? anything they will just keep pushing until they do. But hey you seem to have alot of feelings about what you could do so by all means blow up the parking lot if you see fit.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ya I said go splatter their brains. I meant maybe since nothing has been said or no CO or police have been there to ? anything they will just keep pushing until they do. But hey you seem to have alot of feelings about what you could do so by all means blow up the parking lot if you see fit.

I was being a bit sarcastic and yes, I have a lot of negative energy building up on this. 3 years of this crap is taking its toll. There is a lot going on in the background with the law enforcement. The hardest part is that they nearly need to be caught in the act with as bunch of witnesses, pictures, blah, blah, blah. In too many cases these azz-wipes get away with stuff. I just need to keep myself contained until an appropriate time

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.