my touch with the grim reaper

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This is a little lengthly but thought id better share whats been going on. I havent been around in a bout a year or so because of a brush with Cancer. I knew something wasent right when i tried to get into my vehicle and had to lift both legs in the truck after sitting down, with both my arms, then shut the door. I went to the university and got checked out and my bile tube which empties the fluids that come from the liver, gall bladder, pancrease and the appendix into the small intestine to help regulate the digestive fluids for what you eat. They put me under and befor they did they said they were going to check for any immediate cancer growing in that area, so they did.

I got out of surgery which was 9 hrs long and after they applied a stint to temporarily open the bile duct, i think it was 85% closed they informed me they found a small growth on the inside wall on my small intestine that was close to my pancrease, which raised other concerns. Come to find out 20 years ago i had 3 bad gall bladder attacks that stretched out my bile duct to the point where the best surgeon at the the university and known as the best in the whole state of iowa, his name is Dr Chan. told me you have the biggest bile duct i’ve ever seen and it came from passing more then several gall stones at one time, they speculated that this is where and why the cancer started in this are, from previous damage pass of the gall stones did. well they operated and took out about a foot of small intestine and a small couple inches of my lower stomach and then retied everything back together, the operation was a success. so this all happened the first month after the operation. The next step was finding a good chemo doctor and found out about the Ghosh clinic here in Cedar rapids so i went and talk to dr Ghosh and we set up a chemo plan and can say now my last CT scan showed no cancer growth where it had been befor, I immediate verbally praised the lord when the doctor told me of the results, I’ve got go through 6 more treatments of chemo then a planned radiation treatment plan, to be fully cured so sometime in around may or june I will know the true results.

If you know anyone who may be looking for a very good chemo doctor Dr. Ghosh at the Ghosh Cedar here in Cedar Rapids is a very highly nationally ranked cancer medical facility and is regularly being sent patients from the Mayo clinic and other top notch medically facilities form around the midwest.

Guys, dont put off a cancer screen at any cost, its just not worth it. Cancer gives off signs that something not like it supposed to be, eat habits have changed, less energy, chronic fatigue and other, including enzyme levels that are only produced when things are starting to get serious, but more often then not especially in its early stages, thats how i caught mine in time. Go get checked guys, it may save your life for just a few hours of being checked out by a good knowledgeable doctor. Things are getting better because im slowly getting my tastebuds back, everything and I mean almost everything tastes like cardboard and im not kidding. Imagine trying to eat a nice fat ribeye and after the first fork you cant taste it and you set the ribeye aside knowing your not going to be able to taste the rest of it either, but im slowly gets my taste back. All in all now im ok and getting better and percentages wise thing look good. Guys go get checked up because its worth it. When i was first dianosed i weighed in at 185 lbs, the toll of the chemo im now at 134 and hold steady but that also good because of no more sparetire around the waist.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Great to hear your on the road to recovery. waytogo waytogo

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Glenn, my primary doctor told me that if im slowly gaining my taste back and not loosing anymore weight thats a very good positive, it means the cancer is loosing its grip on my system

B-man

That’s a scary situation Dan, glad to hear you’re on the mend, and hopefully for good.

My aunt is currently struggling with breast cancer that was caught too late. Never a good thing. Always happens to good people.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was wondering where you went off to Dan. Missed your banter. My demon has been skin cancer, but any cancer is, or should be, a mortal enemy and should be fought relentlessly. Happy that all has turned a positive corner for you….keep on healing bud.

B-Man….prayers for your aunt and family while she struggles with this beast.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery Dan!! Next week is my 1 year anniversary of finding out I had the nasty cancer. It changes everything in a hurry. My last 2 CT scans were clear so tings are good. Keep up the good fight!!

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Mossy,

Cancer F*#KING SUCKS!!!

Very happy to hear you’re doing better. Keep fighting. I Lost my grandfather to it when he was 60. My dad got diagnosed with Lung, throat, and skin cancer within 18 months of each other.

So please everyone, get checked regularly. Early detection really can be the difference between life and death.

grizzly
    nebraska

Take care and get well, hope all goes well for you

Sharon
    SE Metro

Wow, how terrible for you to have to go though all this Dan! I’m glad chemo and treatments are being successful for you. And I’ve heard that it can mess up your taste buds for a while. When my husband Billy was battling cancer years ago nothing tasted right to him – except freezies (the frozen tubes of juice that kids like to eat in the summer) and for some reason, egg and ham breakfast sandwiches. I’d make him several of those sandwiches a day using english muffins, a slice of cheese, scrambled egg, and these delicious ham slices in a can they used to sell at Rainbow. I think HyVee still has them.

There’s no better way to say it, cancer sucks. And it’s crazy to find out just how many people are affected by it. Hugs.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

thanks everybody for the best wishes and don’t procrastinate, go get checked out. I caught mine early and they said that’s the main reason im doing better now. Taking part of your intestine and a little bit of the lower stomach changes everything and food literly does not have any taste at all, except for just a few things, mine is a bowl of captain crunch and strawberry shortcake. i was at the 65 survival when i went into chemo and am now probably up into the 80% range, chemo saps all the strength from you period, besides serious diarehha, I for awhile there had two changes of cloths, a couple washrags and towels in my vehicle because you never knew when your bowels were going to move and you cant control it, it comes when it wants too. Depends are a godsend when it comes to things like this. Im reasonably back on track and still finishing drywall, just picked up a 230 sheet house to do which will give me the money to live on the rest of winter and recooperate more. Take the time to go get checked up because your life does depend on it, I got lucky.

Iowaboy1

good to hear you are on the mend Dan,been wondering why I havent heard from you in a while.
    prayers for a full recovery sent your way !!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yikes, scary stuff, thanks for sharing! I will add that to the growing list of things to check out at my next physical. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery, and look forward to hearing more as you move forward!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hope all goes well, Dan !

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome back and at full strength to boot!

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

You have been missed for sure. Hope you can get back on the river if spring ever gets here. Best therapy there is. primitive

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

thanks again everyone, on a side note,,, I was working on a new concept for body grip traps when the cancer took hold, Had to put everything down, made my first prototype in the muskrat mink size and it worked like a charm. Ive got a couple weeks worth of work left on this house im finishing then ill be free all winter to start making them again. Looking back in the trapping forums about dogs being killed by body grips,,,I think I may have solved the problem,,,I’ll keep everybody tuned it and If this design works it may change alot of things in the trapping world of body grips, cant say too much more because of patent laws. But thanks everyone!!!

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Wishing and praying for your speedy recovery Dan. Life is so fragile.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Great news for you Dan. Glad to hear it seems to be going in the right direction for you.
    I know how it is myself. My cancer is going in the opposite direction though. Hard to stay positive when it starts to pile up and pain overcomes everything in your life. Hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.
    Good luck and I hope all future scans for you lead to the word “clear.”
    Splitshot.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.