My Favorite Jerkbait Tip That Gives Any Brand More Action

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was out a few days ago and got on a solid jerkbait bite and this has become second nature to me, but I’m not sure how many people know about it. It’s a great tip that gives any brand jerkbait more erratic action right out of the box.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Great video and Tip. I see far to may people keep a tight line between jerks. That slack line is really important. Your Jerk cadence is really similar to my main one. Another tip is to vary that cadence and force of the Jerks until you key in on what the fish like. Its nice when there are 2 people in the boat. One can fish the bait fast and aggressive while the other fished it slower with longer pauses. It seems like almost every outing the fish seem to want it worked different from the prior outing. One other thing. If you really get into Jerkbaiting a lot, Purchase a glass or glass blended rod for it. For some reason the action of the bait is different and I think better when using a glass rod. I also think it allows the fish to load up better when it takes the bait.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Curious if anyone uses or tried the Megabass Vision Jerkbaits. I hear great things about them but at their cost I’m a little worried that I’ll get to many bit off by pike. I’d be willing to take the risk if they are really as good as some say.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have used them and they are great. The price tag is scary and it’s hard not to tear up when a pike steals one. That’s why I still use the Strike King KVD Jerks. They don’t suspend quite as well (slow rise more than suspend) but they still work well. The 110’s suspend really well out of the box.

Something I do with my SK Jerkbaits is add slightly larger trebles which weighs them down just a tiny bit more and helps get it suspending better.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Another good tip that most people probably know but still worth repeating this time of year is the colder it gets the slower you’ll want to work the lure. I’ve had days on the Mississippi in the winter where I’ll barely twitch it once and let it sit for 10 seconds or more and have smallies blast it. But if you move it more than that you won’t get a sniff.

Jerkbaits are one of my favorite ways to catch bass. The strikes on them are so fun and always seem to catch you by surprise.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Curious if anyone uses or tried the Megabass Vision Jerkbaits. I hear great things about them but at their cost I’m a little worried that I’ll get to many bit off by pike. I’d be willing to take the risk if they are really as good as some say

I use them. I have about 10 of them in various colors and depth range.

Obviously I didn’t buy all of them at once. I’d be broke lol.

Surprisingly, I have not lost a single one to a pike. I’m sure that day is certainly coming and I’ll probably have a stroke.

My favorite patterns are perch and bluegill. I’ve also got a limited release version called spawn killer. That one is 40 bucks. I use it very sparingly.

I’d definitely recommend them. Buy one, try it, and see how it goes. If you like it, buy another. They’re kind of like accumulating tools over a long period of time. Every once in a while you’ll see an online sale that indicates “buy one get one 50% off.” Quite often, megabass products are not included, but sometimes they are. Then I obviously buy 2 of them at a time.

tim hurley

My favorite was The rattilin’ Rouge- geeked out a bit in my aquarium ( Tetras are like, what the…)Tried the RR the Husky Jerk and another one, not sure of the name. They all suspended best when snapped down a bit, still none suspended. Some sank down some & some floated up. So which is better? Think as the water gets colder the suspending becomes more important.Thanks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They all suspended best when snapped down a bit, still none suspended. Some sank down some & some floated up. So which is better? Think as the water gets colder the suspending becomes more important.Thanks

I always prefer them to be neutrally buoyant. As mentioned above, the mega bass visions seem to have that quality right out of the box better than others. That’s partially why I use them.

I’ve had success with others but I think they are the best you can buy. Changing trebles on a jerkbait is tricky too. Even just slightly heavier or lighter hooks can ruin the neutral buoyancy it has with stock hooks.

RT
    Twin Cities

The Vision 110 was king until the Berkley Stunna came out a few years ago. The Stunna has now taken up the majority of my jerkbait box real estate.

tim hurley

Just ordered a Stunna-this free site gets expensive (although I have not yet picked up a loaded Warrior for 100k)

FryDog62

The Vision 110 was king until the Berkley Stunna came out a few years ago. The Stunna has now taken up the majority of my jerkbait box real estate.

This, The Stunna is still pretty expensive but has that similar action as the Vision 110.

tim hurley

Ok, lets assume that perfect neutral bouyancy is not possible and face it you don’t know! if you snapped it down 4′ and it suspended in 60 degree water would it be neutrally bouyant in 50? Will you wait a full minute to wait for it to fully rise or sink?
    Brings me back to the question-what is more inticing for Mr.Bass slowly rising up or down?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Your first video I’ve watched. Nice job. applause

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Your first video I’ve watched. Nice job. applause

Thanks Dutch. I’m certainly not a pro but hope it helps some people catch more fish. It certainly worked on the river this morning. Didn’t get anything big but a lot of 2-3 lb smallies on the jerk. Fun morning.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

mahto:

Great vid… I will offer a suggestion for the pike bite offs, increase to 20# or maybe even 30#… I used 20# a lot and will downsize to 10# when the crappies and bluegills won’t take baits at the end of the 20# and it does happen, but not nearly as often as lots of peeps believe. I am thoroughly convinced that floro’s ability to be nearly invisible in the water isn’t given enough credit. It also might make some of those slightly rising baits suspend even better.

Lastly, I fish next to walleye guys lots with that same 20# and not very often have I felt like someone was severely outfishing me. And I always win the pike category when money’s on the line too!!! In waters without the sharp toothed critters, downsizing would be a preferable option… You can buy 25 yards of leader material in 20#, Try It, again I do use 10#, but almost always am using the 20.

Mark

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have found that normally 12 lb works well enough to where I don’t generally lose them. I also fish a lot of clear water so I notice that I don’t get as many bites with 15lb+ fluoro. Good points though!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.