MV Jon or regular jon Boat ?

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I’m wondering if the mod V hull is a pain to get in or out of if you just launch from a landing without a dock. I think a regular Jon boat would be easier. I now have a 14 alumacraft deep v which is a great small water boat but if you launch where there isn’t a dock it is a pain getting in then getting to rear of boat or getting out. The boat tips way to the side when trying to get in or out. Thinking I need to get a flat bottom or Mod V hull. A landing craft would be great lower the front and walk right in. LOL

catmando
    wis

Once on plane its all flat hitting the water, on both kinds, square front I find is easier to get in and out of, My opinion most v front jons are for looks and that’s about it. Have ridden many miles in both.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I actually think my flat front jon takes waves better than a mod. Just hit them at a 45.

leinieman

Not worried about waves as I’m not in a rush, just getting in and out without a dock, like on a bank or as I said landing without a dock mostly. Having some regular seats with backs and no bench seats which are also hard on my 67 year old heavy frame with bad knees. So I think I need a 14-16 regular jon with higher sides.

catmando
    wis

You want stability, get a 48 width at the minimum, 54 would be great. DK.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Jons are wonderful boats as long as, like catmando has suggested, you stay with a wide bottom. I’ve has 14’s with 36″, 42″ and 48″ bottom widths…in that order and would never ever go less than 48. The 54 mentioned would be super stable, I’m just not certain you’ll find that width in a 14.

If I were to ever get another boat, I’d get a 16′, 54″ wide, and sides about 16″-18″…or more. And I’d want the full allotted horsepower so getting it up and ON the water quickly with a load.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Finding a jon boat with no benches in it will be tough… I have been in several job boats and agree the Mod V is nothing more than a pain in the rear. The best set up I have been in for skinny water rivers and duck marshes is an 16 foot 48 inch bottom boat with the flat nose. It has a rear bench and front deck. No center seat. That boat had a 30 horse outboard on it and I thought it was perfect. I have not looked at them lately, but a few years ago I priced an alumacraft 1648 NCS (no center seat) with a 25 horse evinrude and and trailer all new and it was surprisingly inexpensive. I did not buy, because in the long run, storage was going to be the issue, and I did not think I would use the boat more than 5 outings per year. I have my father’s old boat from when I was too short to urine over the side of it, and plan on giving it to my kids. At that time I will likely buy a jon. Wife has me limited to 2 boats, and any combination of 4 canoes and kayaks I would like. I try to tell her too many boats is better then too many girlfriends, but she doesn’t enjoy my humor when I comes to that. She did say that at least with too many girlfriends, she would still be able to park in the garage.

tangler
    Inactive

Not all that common up here, but have you considered something like a Carolina Skiff flat bottom? I think the 16 DLX only drafts a few inches of water. 76″ beam and a wide open floor plan. Very stable and would probably fly with a 40hp. This one is on Facebook marketplace.

Attachments:
    1. skiff.jpg

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Good comments.

I have a 16 ft. mod V alumacraft Jon and I really like it, but you guys are right, with the front mount trolling motor it’s a bear to get in or out from the bank. Seems to be a little tippy when I’m up front running the troll motor. The flat front I used to just step off the bank into the front no problem. But that was 20 years ago, but I still like the boat I have.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I wouldn’t think of switching back to a regular jon boat after using MV’s for 20 years with or without a dock. I don’t think mine are real tippy while on the bank but I have a MV1448 Alumacraft and a 16 foot Grizzly

leinieman

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Tangler I have thought of a Carolina Skiff but the only one I found was on CL and I messaged them and never got a response. My only concern would be traveling through stump filled waters not fast but just through and hitting something with a glass boat. I will see if I can find that on FB. Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.