Musky Report

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

It has been a little while since I have written a fishing report of any kind. Last month was pretty darn good in the muskie department considering how much time I spent chasing them. My friend Justin Mckee and I went up to northern Minnesota to fish for a 3 day weekend and were not dissapointed! It was a 50/50 mix between a bucktail bite and a prop topwater bite. (one day was all topwater and the next all bucktails). All the fish came out of the weeds, although we did see some fish on rocks, we weren’t able to connect with any of them.

The following weekend I headed back up and fished with Luke Swanson. The bite had slowed down some, but we were still able to scratch out 3 fish in two days of fishing and got all of them on film. This will be an episode for the 2021-2022 Season. I got my butt kicked on this one with Luke catching all three fish out of the front of the boat. Topwater baits were hot once again. One of the fish, which was a 47 incher, was one of the coolest strikes I have ever seen. We got it all on camera too!

I was able to sneak out with my good friend Jamie on Saturday morning for a few hours and stuck a fat 48″ fish and saw several others. I was thinking about it last night and I have only been out one time this season and not boated a musky. It’s funny how streaks like this can happen. I can attest that it is no fun being on the other side of these streaks, where you cant buy a fish for days on end.

I’m running a Warrior V2090 with a SHO 200 again this year. I really like this combo, but do miss the gas savings a little bit on the 175 these days with gas so much higher. It sure is nice cruising around at 40 MPH and under 5K RPM’s though!

I’m looking forward to getting up to Canada in October / November for the Fall trolling run. I think i’ll try and shoot a trolling show again since it has been a few years. I’m going to start migrating from Social Media and posting more on here in the coming months!

Attachments:
    1. received_2911849659068089.jpeg

2. IMG_1771.jpg

3. received_165341235694637.jpeg

4. IMG_1747-1.jpg

5. IMG_1757.jpg

6. image-cropped.jpg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Heres a cool photo of the side imaging as a musky came in and bit my bucktail on the second turn of a figure 8. I actually lost this fish after a few head shakes. It was around 44″.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0361.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Well done Pat!

Any come on the figure 8?
    I have never caught one on the “8” but that looks like it would be thrilling.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Well done Pat!

Any come on the figure 8?
    I have never caught one on the “8” but that looks like it would be thrilling.

The Image 1771 came on the figure eight. I think it was 47″. It was one of those fish that was closing the gap on my bucktail and I knew it was going to bite on the first turn. Lost one other one which was the side imaging shot above.

MX1825

Nice fish Pat! Congrats!
    Very nice write up and report.
    waytogo waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s funny how streaks like this can happen. I can attest that it is no fun being on the other side of these streaks, where you cant buy a fish for days on end.

I can attest to this. Sometimes my droughts are much longer than a few days on end. I’ve had weeks, months, and years without a muskie.

August has been incredibly good for muskie fishing. I have personally caught 37, 38, and 40 inch tiger muskies. Additionally, 3 others have come in the boat caught by people who were fishing with me.

I am certain that the low pressure fronts are triggering these fish. June and July lacked those weather changes. I have posted about this in another thread as well.

Attachments:
    1. Abel-8-7-21-muskie1.jpg

2. Jason-8-21-21-muskie.jpg

3. 8-28-21-40-inch-tiger.jpg

4. 8-7-21-muskie.jpg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat McSharry wrote:</div>
    It’s funny how streaks like this can happen. I can attest that it is no fun being on the other side of these streaks, where you cant buy a fish for days on end.

I can attest to this. Sometimes my droughts are much longer than a few days on end. I’ve had weeks, months, and years without a muskie.

August has been incredibly good for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie fishing. I have personally caught 37, 38, and 40 inch tiger muskies. Additionally, 3 others have come in the boat caught by people who were fishing with me.

I am certain that the low pressure fronts are triggering these fish. June and July lacked those weather changes. I have posted about this in another thread as well.

Very Nice! Those are some beautiful looking tigers!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Way to go guys! I am way on the other end of the spectrum… Only had a few follows in august. This has been a super rough season for me granted I could never capitalize on the weather fronts coming through. With bow season coming up I probably only have a few more trips left.

BrianF

Nice fish Pat and nice report. Can’t wait to see the video.

I like the screen captures from follows seen on electronics too. Here’s one that followed me last week on Livescope.

Attachments:
    1. DB4B4217-8EA2-4B7D-A8B7-9ABB1EA7F0EA.jpeg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Thanks guys! September is going to be filled with elk hunting for me, but October and November I will fit some more musky fishing into my schedule!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Lots of sweet looking muskies in this report… I personally do not intentionally fish for them but I sure like reading the reports and checking out the photos! Good job all peace

CaptainMusky

Lots of sweet looking muskies in this report… I personally do not intentionally fish for them but I sure like reading the reports and checking out the photos! Good job all peace

I havent targetted them much in recent years. In fact I havent targeted much the last two years. Boo!
    I love the photos especially those tigers. I have never caught one, but had a few figure 8 a few times and they are beautiful fish.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The last pic “image-cropped.jpg” is a great photo! bow Congrats, looking forward to the show/s!

-J.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Thanks Jon!

Jensen

The last pic “image-cropped.jpg” is a great photo! bow Congrats, looking forward to the show/s!

-J.

X2, beautiful fish. Excellent work Pat.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Nice fish! Looking forward to that episode! Fishing had been ok for me, just not getting any bigger fish

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.