Muskies and diving rings

• Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I can’t even imagine how a musky would manage that.

Good share!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks for posting! Sad to see.

Not to derail your post but if the DNR cared about Muskie they wouldn’t allow people to spear on Muskie Lakes roll

This is one incident with a swimming ring… and I could show you plenty of pictures with spear marks “the ones that got away”.

Plenty of people actually brag about spearing as many muskies as they can and sticking them back under the ice in the winter. It seems to be very common. Let’s fix this issue then we can move on to the diving rings.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This is one incident with a swimming ring…

Agreed that this was a total fluke. While sad to see, there are much more pressing issues than diving rings. rotflol

blank

Joe,
    In MN I believe that the only lake closed to spearing now is Baby Lake by Longville. It’s allowed on all other inland lakes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s allowed on all other inland lakes.

Didn’t realize this. I thought it was still prohibited on most designated muskie lakes. I just looked it up in the regs.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>
    It’s allowed on all other inland lakes.

Didn’t realize this. I thought it was still prohibited on most designated <em class=”ido-tag-em”>muskie lakes. I just looked it up in the regs.

Well, you “were” correct…as of a few years ago. I remember it was just a few years back when they were opening muskie lakes back up to pike spearing, it would be 2-3 a year.

Evidently since that time they quietly opened them all now with the one exception. I say quietly because like you, I was not aware either.

Perhaps they sneaked it through when they implemented the new pike regs a couple years ago.

Joe’s observations are upsetting to say the least, sad that it has come to this.

FWIW, counties in northern Wisconsin that encompass the prime muskie waters over there, spearing is prohibited. They may not have the great walleye fishing we do here in MN, but they at least have some common sense in protecting their muskies.

blank

I think the removal of the spearing ban on a number of the muskie lakes happened about 5 years ago. I remember reading a lot of comments about it back then.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Thanks for posting! Sad to see.

Not to derail your post but if the DNR cared about Muskie they wouldn’t allow people to spear on <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Muskie Lakes roll

This is one incident with a swimming ring… and I could show you plenty of pictures with spear marks “the ones that got away”.

Plenty of people actually brag about spearing as many muskies as they can and sticking them back under the ice in the winter. It seems to be very common. Let’s fix this issue then we can move on to the diving rings.

Good point, Joe. Cass lake is closed to spearing, as far as I know. It would be great to see the major destination lakes follow suit. Musky fishing is super fun. Let’s promote it!

I would love to see a spearing ban on all lakes stocked with musky.

Greg

Hey guys, I am the one who caught that fish. My hope, as a conservation professional, is to raise awareness about toys not belonging in lakes with the kids! Start teaching them how they can help early in life and issues such as spearing are easier to address when they grow up.

Greg

This is the ring.

Attachments:
    1. 20200826_155025.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Yep those kids water toys -big concern.I think the spearing,not a big issue. flame

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would love to see a spearing ban on all lakes stocked with musky.

I would better love a spearing ban on muskie altogether. As much or more on lakes with naturally reproducing muskie. You can stock them, but there’s no replacing each successfully spawning capable fish in the waters solely dependent on natural reproduction.

Yep those kids water toys -big concern.I think the spearing,not a big issue. flame

Yep, those kids water toys…such as spears. evil

Warning: Strong adult content and language and disturbing images…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is so sad. Depressing to say the least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.