Muskie Spook Too Soon

• Alex Weismann

Hello!

Just wanted to ask: Why does every Muskie that follows my bait in spook almost instantly before I can even start to figure 8? I feel like my bait is deep enough and fast enough to keep them interested and not able to see me, but I’ve had six of them so far that peel off the second they get boatside.

I’m fishing an incredibly clear lake, so maybe it doesn’t matter how deep my bait is on the follow and they see me anyways, not sure.

Let me know if I’m missing something. Thanks so much!

uninc4709

Hello!

I’m fishing an incredibly clear lake, so maybe it doesn’t matter how deep my bait is on the follow and they see me anyways, not sure.

You’re not missing anything, clear lakes can be tough. If you’re mainly throwing bucktails you can try to switch to something more dive and rise or side to side that you can pause to try and entice them away from the boat.

Otherwise, fish the low light hours of sunrise and sunset and beyond

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Otherwise, fish the low light hours of sunrise and sunset and beyond

This. Try going at dusk or even better, during the middle of the night. Mark the spot where that active fish was on your GPS and go back there when its dark out.

catmando
    wis

Clearwater you do best, with some waves action, cloudy or low light, or night fishing, you can really slam the lookers when you fish at night, When you bring the bait in change the direction and tempo of the bait it can be a trigger. A pause can be good but a total slow down is not. before the fish gets to boat side. When trolling a hard left or right turn can trigger a strike. DK. PS, I have done well with deep diving bigger bass crankbaits in clearwater.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.