Muskie / pike reel – traditional double paddle handle or single power handle ???

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just purchased a new Daiwa Lexa 400 With the T wing design. Was all set to buy a prorex but got talked into the lexa because of the better components. The only thing I’m a little unsure of is it came with a single power handle. I have never fished a bait caster with a single handle and it just feels strange. I’m having a bit of a hard time finding a aftermarket double handle that I’m sure will fit it. The guys at Thornes said they all fish single handles and love them. I think it will be OK for throwing big plastic baits but this setup is primarily for throwing big glide baits. I’m not sure if I should just take a chance on buying a double handle or just force myself to learn to use the single one. How many here have fished a single handle reel and what are your thoughts?

Besox

I have both and prefer the single….especially on big baits.
    Wierd about the Prorex, I thought that was the new hot reel. Actually was planning on buying one soon…

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I love power handles. I am also surprised about the prorex… i do have a lexa 400 though and its been a great reel.

bowhunter84

I have 2 Lexas, one with the power handle and one with the double paddles (Winn model) I really like the power handle, but the double paddle handle is also so large (long) that I don’t think it will be an issue. I haven’t used the paddle handle much as I just got it.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Power handle fan here too.

uninc4709

I enjoy the double paddle on my lexa. The long handle helps.

Ill jump in on the surprised you were told that about the prorex

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have both and it took a while for me to get used to the single handle. Now I don’t even notice it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The reason I went with the Lexa over the prorex is the better internal components. Better grade of bearings and shafts. Until just recently the Lexa 400 was not available in the T wing design. The T wing design was the reason I was going with the prorex until I learned the new Lexa also is available in the T wing. I went with the 7.1 gear ratio. One reason is that is the only ratio they had in stock. I think 37.5″ of line per turn of the handle is more than enough. I think It would be really hard to show down with that 8.1. The 8.1 takes in 42.9″ of line per turn. That is a lot of line

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Gomexus makes some real nice after market handles. I just not sure what size will fit the Lexa 400 TW model. They sell a 7X4mm and a 8X5mm. I believe its the 8X5mm that would fit. I’m going to call Daiwa and see if they can confirm the size

Attachments:
    1. 51m6r2W1vL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have both and it took a while for me to get used to the single handle. Now I don’t even notice it.

What Rodwork said. I have a pair of Abu 6500’s. use the power handle one for slightly larger baits. After one trip, I can seamlessly switch back and forth.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Too bad my Garcia 6500 doubles won’t fit on your reel. I have a bunch of them from changing over to the power handle.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Daiwa still has not responded to me what size the handle is on the reel. Its been about 4 days since I talked with them. I also sent a Email asking for the size. I may end up just ordering what i believe to be the correct size handle and see if it fits. If not I can always return it. Its such a new real there is just not any good ifo. available on aftermarket parts for it. Who know I may love the power handle. I just don’t want to get to Canada with a total new setup and have a hard time adjusting to it. some of the glide baits I fish you work with the turn of the handle and not the rod tip. Just seems like it may be hard to control the line recovery with the power handle.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

How many knobs do you use when you are using the double handle? I assume just one? Why would a single knob be any different?

The big advantage to the single knob handles (power handle if you will), is the ones I have seen, have more than one attachment point.
    Mounting the shaft the hole closest to the knob, will result in a shorter radius, (very close to the radius of a double handle).
    Attach the shaft at the far hole and yes, that will alter the retrieve characteristics of the reel.

Attachments:
    1. PowerHandle_Alloy_Carbon_637311187057209326.png

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Huntindave – like I said it’s probably just a mental thing. After fishing something like a baitcasting reel for so long with a double handle it just seems and feels weird. How many people do you know who fish a baitcaster reeling with their right hand and then fish a spinning reel and reel with their left hand. When I ask these people why they do that they answer because it would be strange reeling a baitcaster with their left hand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.