Mulberry trees in MN??

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi guys, this is an odd question but do any of you know of mulberry trees on your property or areas here in MN.. I am in search of one and wondering how common they are. I believe I have seen them but it is hard to identify them without the berries.

CaptainMusky

They would probably be limited to the SE part of the state wouldnt they? I dont think they are very common here. I dont believe I have ever seen one.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We had quite a few in the neighborhood that we used to live in in Crystal. They are MESSY. The sidewalks underneath them get terribly stained.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One by my house on park property in Woodbury. I walk past it all the time and eat some when available. We had one growing up and out of all the fruits we ate it was the least favorite and mostly nobody ate them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’ve got 3 growing about 800′ from where we’re building. They must be fairly tough, as despite the boxelder growth I haven’t gotten to yet they were towering through loaded with fruit last summer.

I’ll second how messy they are. They were so thick that the ground beneath them on the field edge was noticeable stained dark purple from quite a ways away.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

There was a very large one, certainly the largest I’ve ever seen, in our neighbor’s yard here just outside of St. Paul. It must have been there for decades judging from its size.

I looked up the tree’s expected lifespan once, and I believe the Twin Cities is at the northern end of the Mulberry’s range. IIRC, lifespan was 40 years so not a long-lived tree.

As Ralph says, they are a MESS. The added “bonus” is if you like listening to raccoon fights at all hours of the night, a mulberry tree is perfect for you. When the berries are dead-ripe, the coons and possums are all over the tree. I heard a horrible scream one night and I thought perhaps a cat was caught in our fence. I went out to investigate and when I shined a light toward the fence and neighbor’s yard, about 20 pairs of eyes lit up in the Mulberry tree. That was night one of the annual mulberry feast and it went on every night for a couple of weeks.

They are a nice looking tree with deep green foliage, but no way would I plant one because of the mess. I’m lucky the tree next door died about 4 years after I moved in and the neighbors cut it down.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

One by my house on park property in Woodbury. I walk past it all the time and eat some when available. We had one growing up and out of all the fruits we ate it was the least favorite and mostly nobody ate them.

Have you ever had them in a jam/jelly? I’m interested to use our steamer-juicer on the range and take the concentrate from them and give it a go.

-Sorry for hijacking the thread.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Have you ever had them in a jam/jelly? I’m interested to use our steamer-juicer on the range and take the concentrate from them and give it a go.

-Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I have not. They are so flat tasting with no tartness I never thought much of them.
    Yet every year I am in awe at the amount of fruit produced and mostly going to waste.

Dave maze
    Isanti

There was one in edina by one of my job sites. The birds were everywhere bombing every vehicle in sight with purple turds.

buschman
    Pool 2

I remember seeing them but cannot remember where. Good to hear you guys see them around the cities here. I was hoping to find one before they started sapping but might have to wait till the trees are green. At least I know there are a few around. I am looking for one 8-10 inches in diameter with a good straight section without knots. I am prepping some logs for bow staves and everywhere I read say that mulberry is one of the best trees for this. They are at the top of the list next to osage trees. I guess Mulberry is the real deal if I can find one.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

it’s the crabgrass of trees. they pop up everywhere. Nearly impossible to cut out. you have to get the tap root way down. They are messy. Birds love them and make an even bigger mess when they pooo all over your house siding, garage, concrete and vehicles. the perfect place for them is in a fence row way out in a field.

ThunderLund78

I have an odd tree in my backyard that a landscaper friend of mine called a “Weeping Mulberry.” It doesn’t bear any fruit that I can tell, but it’s kind of a cool tree. Not sure if anyone has any more info on those?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A couple neighbors have them in their backyard next to the alley. This is on south MPLS. I hate those trees. They make a huge mess and the birds fly through the alley and poop purple on my white truck.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

it’s the crabgrass of trees. they pop up everywhere. Nearly impossible to cut out. you have to get the tap root way down. They are messy. Birds love them and make an even bigger mess when they pooo all over your house siding, garage, concrete and vehicles. the perfect place for them is in a fence row way out in a field.

I’m going to have to pay more careful attention to our few down from the house. Mrs. Bucky’s idea of building a white house could really make a lot of work if these things end up closer to the house than just the few I’m thinking of.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We had quite a few in the neighborhood that we used to live in in Crystal. They are MESSY. The sidewalks underneath them get terribly stained.

I used to have 8 of them along my western property line/fence. I had 6 of them removed 2 years ago because they were growing out of control. The two I have remaining are fine, for now. They don’t tend to grow straight up and down. They fork off and grow crooked and slanted. I had several that were growing into one big tangle and that is primarily why I had them removed.

Yes, I live in Crystal.

buschman
    Pool 2

They don’t tend to grow straight up and down. They fork off and grow crooked and slanted.

I hear ya. I will have to do some walking before finding the right one. I will be looking in dense woods where they are more likely to go straight up at the base. Will be like an Easter egg hunt!

hillhiker
    SE MN

I grew up just south of Hastings, and they were all over the neighborhood. We had a couple varieties around as well, some considerably larger and straight growing. Once they start popping leaves they will be much easier to ID. It does seem like I see them all over SE MN when while wandering around in the woods. Brings back good memories of climbing all the trees to shake the berries off for the neighbor lady to make jam and pies.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I grew up just south of Hastings, and they were all over the neighborhood. We had a couple varieties around as well, some considerably larger and straight growing. Once they start popping leaves they will be much easier to ID. It does seem like I see them all over SE MN when while wandering around in the woods. Brings back good memories of climbing all the trees to shake the berries off for the neighbor lady to make jam and pies.

I made a big batch of jam with them last year and while they are messy like everyone said, they are very good eating!

Iowaboy1

One thing you may want to try and its delicious, cut a couple of chunks of branch off in the fall when its not full of sap, about one inch diameter by six inches long.
    Toss those chunks on a charcoal fire about five minutes before you place your favorite cut of lamb or pork on the grill.
    The flavor it imparts on the meat is fruity without being overpowering.

Mulberry jam/preserves, needs a lot of sugar so its not so bland, mix it with rhubarb and or raspberries to add an extra kick of sweetness and tartness to it.

Mulberries also make great bait !! If you like fishing for catfish, put about a dozen of them in a cheesecloth bag and thread that onto a treble hook, make sure to give the bag of berries a squeeze to get the juices flowing so the cats can smell the bait in the water.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

One thing you may want to try and its delicious, cut a couple of chunks of branch off in the fall when its not full of sap, about one inch diameter by six inches long.
    Toss those chunks on a charcoal fire about five minutes before you place your favorite cut of lamb or pork on the grill.
    The flavor it imparts on the meat is fruity without being overpowering.

Mulberry jam/preserves, needs a lot of sugar so its not so bland, mix it with rhubarb and or raspberries to add an extra kick of sweetness and tartness to it.

Mulberries also make great bait !! If you like fishing for catfish, put about a dozen of them in a cheesecloth bag and thread that onto a treble hook, make sure to give the bag of berries a squeeze to get the juices flowing so the cats can smell the bait in the water.

we’re supposed to believe you know of what you speak after hearing about the augar decibel this past weekend??? doah whistling devil rotflol rotflol

Sorry, the devil made me!🤭

Iowaboy1

The auger debacle was due to the delivery man !!!!
    That and I still blame chuck100 for not coming down and being the leader !!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The auger debacle was due to the delivery man !!!!
    That and I still blame chuck100 for not coming down and being the leader !!

rotflol rotflol doah your story bud, guess you can tell it anyway you want!!!👍👍

Iowaboy1

Well, to be honest I was going to tell you how one of those firecrackers woke up sasquatch who was sleeping in an abandoned old piece of farm equipment next to the pond and how he bent the auger over Matt’s head.
    But you wouldn’t believe that neither.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I didn’t think there where enough trees in Iowa for sasquatch to live there?? Must live off them mulberries!!

That sasquatch musta hid in EPG’s trunk rotflol

Iowaboy1

Buschman, I tried to add to your thread but that dang Glenn57 led me a stray and I derailed your thread,my apologies!!

Carry on folks, nothing to see here unless it contributes to mulberries.

robby
    Quad Cities

Great carp bait. Hard to keep on the hook but carp love them. They hang out under them and eat the berries as they fall in the water. Fun fishing too!

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Mulberry/rhubarb jam just went on my list for this spring. Sounds delicious. Thank you!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

They would probably be limited to the SE part of the state wouldnt they? I dont think they are very common here. I dont believe I have ever seen one.

so i’ve must of googled this mulberry tree/bush 6 times.

it says it grows in north america but doesnt really say where??? those leaves look familiar with plants growing like underbrush up in northern minnesota???? i dont recall seeing the berries though ????

buschman
    Pool 2

Buschman, I tried to add to your thread but that dang Glenn57 led me a stray and I derailed your thread,my apologies!!

Carry on folks, nothing to see here unless it contributes to mulberries.

No worries here.. I want to know more. I am a “show me pictures” kind of guy or its just a fishing story. haha.

Also, I appreciate the info on the berries. I will keep a plenty for the smoker and give it a try too!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.