Mr heater question

• Coletrain27

Anyone ever have there rubber gasket on buddy heater dry and crack that seals the bottle?

Attachments:
    1. 22ACA079-27D6-4246-8CAB-5EC3731DE73A.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Trying to help you. It almost looks like you have to replace the regulator which isn’t expensive but weird. Does it appear that gasket is replaceable or permanently attached?

Coletrain27

Yea I’m not sure if the gasket is replaceable or not? I looked online and all I could find for mr heater stuff was o rings

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I’m betting if you can find some rubber of the same consistency you could use that as a template and cut a new one.

Coletrain27

It’s pretty much the exact same size as a garden hose gasket. Maybe I’ll try that, I have a bunch of extras of them at home

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Mr heater is another company with outstanding service and answer the phone. If busy they call you back very soon.

bigpike

I’d contact mr heater and ditch your garden hose washer idea. Not worth the risk. Is it?

Coletrain27

I’m gonna call them Tuesday. There closed today and tomorrow since it’s Presidents’ Day

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

You could just go to fleet or someplace and buy a regulator if you need the heater. All mr heater stuff is overpriced though. Lots of times it takes their own parts to work too.

Coletrain27

I don’t need the heater right away. The heater is like 15 years old so I’m not surprised it dried up and cracked. I sent customer service a email

Loren I Duerr

don’t try and substitute all propane heater/cookers with 1 lb cyl. have those gaskets. check with propane dist. in your area. most carry replacements. just unscrew probe and take along as gaskets have different size center holes.

Coletrain27

Well thanks alot mr heater! Basically my heater is now junk because they don’t make a rubber washer or regulator for this anymore! I’ll just have to try the garden hose gasket or buy a whole new heater flame

Attachments:
    1. 97D8300F-8922-4502-9E20-9C23D5BDC3DF.png

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Jeez. Time to get innovative.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

OK, this has a hex for a reason. Unscrew it, catch all the parts that fly out, and cut a new gasket to fit. Or, tell us the ID , OD & thickness, and we’ll find one.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 22ACA079-27D6-4246-8CAB-5EC3731DE73A-1.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Is it possible that the lines were already there, it seems odd to have them all crack in line with the corners of the nut. I’m at work and can’t look at mine. Coletrain was it leaking or did you just happen to notice it, I think that the fitting is what seals it not that piece of rubber.

JEREMY
    BP

Well thanks alot mr heater! Basically my heater is now junk because they don’t make a rubber washer or regulator for this anymore! I’ll just have to try the garden hose gasket or buy a whole new heater

Man i would be furious. You bought something for 75 bucks fifteen years ago and it wore out.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    Well thanks alot mr heater! Basically my heater is now junk because they don’t make a rubber washer or regulator for this anymore! I’ll just have to try the garden hose gasket or buy a whole new heater

Man i would be furious. You bought something for 75 bucks fifteen years ago and it wore out.

10 years ago actually and hasn’t hardly been used. I’ll make one I have gasket material at home. Seems dumb they don’t make parts for them anymore Sorry for the rant

deertracker

What I did with an old one was put thread sealant on a filter and screwed that in. I never remove the filter now. I had to make a little stand because the tank sits lower than the heater but has worked for years.
    DT

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Is it possible that the lines were already there, it seems odd to have them all crack in line with the corners of the nut. I’m at work and can’t look at mine. Coletrain was it leaking or did you just happen to notice it, I think that the fitting is what seals it not that piece of rubber.

I think John may be correct. If seems strange that all the cracks would appear in those locations. You would think the tear would be where the top of the propane cylinder contacts the gasket (you can see the circular indentation). Try calling a propane place as suggested above.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

What jumped out at me is how precise those cuts appear to be. Almost by design so had to run out and check my 2 units. Sad to report no cuts.

Attachments:
    1. 20CFE043-5421-4977-893D-B2B0DBDD679C.jpeg

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

I’d be surprised if once removed almost any hardware store will supply that gasket. I have quite a number of LP units and recently the fish/turkey fryer O-ring at the tank end looked on the edge of failure. Rolled it off and found the #8 at Hardware Hank fit to a tee. $1.39 later and I have 3 backups. Darn things always fail at the worst time from my experience.

Coletrain27

I was at northern tool today but they didn’t have any rubber washers. I see harbor freight sells a couple different assortment kits of them. I’ll stop there and buy a couple kits. Thanks for the help

Paul Halter

This thread is a year old, but in case anybody finds this searching for a solution:

I had the same problem. Single digit temps, out on the lake, tried to use the Mr Heater for the first time in several years, and I could hear gas hissing out the moment I installed a bottle. The pilot flame would light, but not enough gas was reaching the main burner area to properly light. Plus it was wasting propane and gassing up the shanty, so I gave up and removed the bottle.

I found the cracks in the rubber washer, dug through my cabinets for a replacement and found no perfect match. I tried shopping online for one, but if you can find a replacement with outside diameter around 23 MM, inside around 8 mm, and thickness around 2 mm, congratulations, you win. I couldn’t, so tried a hose washer, and it just might work with tweaking. With a hose washer the brass fitting screws in too far (because the inside diameter is wider than the brass fitting) so the other end doesn’t reach far enough into the bottle for gas to flow at all. A spacer in the middle of the hose washer could solve that, but I found a better solution:

Remove the brass fitting from the heater, and then remove the leaking rubber washer/gasket and throw it away. Get a rubber O ring, size 17 MM OD, 2.5 MM thickness. I had them on hand from an o ring assortment. Don’t install it on the heater, but pop it in the mouth of the propane bottle. It will fit snuggly inside, and when you install the bottle in the heater you’ll get a good seal. Just remember to remove the o ring from the bottle when it’s empty and transfer it to a new bottle. I used a twist tie to attach a spare o ring to the heater handle to make sure I have one handy.

So there’s a solution that works, and o rings are readily available at any hardware store, and they’re cheap.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Coletrain27

I ended up making some rubber washers out of rubber gasket material since I couldn’t find any the same size

Brandon M

nice, it fixed it? I had almost the same thing happen and was told to get a regulator too and found out they dont carry that part anymore, ugh.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.