Motorhome pulling a boat?

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Wife and I are working to decide on our first motorhome for traveling and simply seeing the country. Class C, either a 25 or 30’…. To expand the use I would like to pull my boat to spend time on the River, Lake Erie and other early Spring fishing a little south before work kicks in.

Anyone here have experience you can share of pulling and more importantly launching a boat behind a motorhome.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would attempt to hire somebody at the campground to launch & retrieve my boat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Some launches it’ll be easy work to launch the boat. Other launches are not ideal being the pull ahead room isn’t good enough. Generally it’ll be easy. I’ve launched my boat behind my kenworth more then a dozen times when I pull it to out of town jobs

Chuck Melcher

Follow up ???? I’m a mirror guy…. How important is the backup camera when doing this with a motorhome? Just another prince of info or crucial?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use my mirrors but when it’s straight behind me I can’t see it. The back up camera is nice because you will be wide. A combination of both would be ideal

Sylvanboat

Two thoughts: if you are to launch with the boat from the back of the RV, practice in a vacant lot first. Alternatively consider a hitch on the front of the RV for launching. Good luck.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will agree with what has been said already. Launching is doable but can be challenging. The hitch on the front would make it easier and an easy option. I also agree with Dutch if going to campgrounds or resorts, just ask the owner or someone there to help.

Bill Mundt

I pull my 20′ Lund Pro V with my V10 22′ Class C motorhome a lot. Can’t hardly tell it’s back there. Gas mileage doesn’t go down much either. (2-3 mpg) I was told many times by many guys to get the “Ford” chassis motorhome for pulling big loads. Heard the Chevy isn’t as good. If you are good at backing down a ramp with your pickuo truck, a smaller class C isn’t much different. But, that 30′ you mention is a much different beast than my little 22′.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wouldn’t bother with a front hitch. Makes 0 sense. If you can back a trailer up you will be fine.
    How else would you put the boat in spots where you camp or park it by the house. Don’t make more work of it. Skip the front hitch and just use the rear.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will agree with the front hitch. Not needed. I have done it multiple times without a problem. Also grew up on a farm working with big tractors and trailers so it seems easier than those to do. It just takes practice. Pay attention to your turn radius, where your rear tires are and the way your back end swings. I can see my boat out of our RV back window. That helps a lot since I can’t see it from the sides when backing up straight. Backup camera would help if you can’t see it.

Chuck Melcher

I pull my 20′ Lund Pro V with my V10 22′ Class C motorhome a lot. But, that 30′ you mention is a much different beast than my little 22′.

I’m hoping if we end up with the 30’ it won’t matter much…. Most 22 models are 25’, so hoping it won’t matter much )

Thanks all!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks all!
    [/quote]

It will be a short learning curve and then you’ll be a pro.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You got this Chuck. And if someone gives you crap at the landing, just ask if they have done it with an RV. toast

Chuck Melcher

You got this Chuck. And if someone gives you crap at the landing, just ask if they have done it with an RV. toast

LOL…. I would try to avoid crowds as usual…. But if it took 3 times as long as in my truck, I would still beat enough guys to enjoy saying this.

No More motel concerns will be great… just need to find a place to hide a 30’ rv near the launch to spend the night without getting kicked out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.