motorcycles

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Got a question for motorcyclists and/or law enforcement officers. I’ve seen this a lot in our area…..When a group of motorcycles comes to a 4 way stop, the first one pulls into the intersection and stops. The remainder, be it 10 or 100 just pile on through the intersection without stopping. I’ve seen a few groups not even post a “crossing guard”, just keep piling through the intersection. Is that legal? I really don’t care cuz I’m not in a hurry to go anywhere since I retired, but what if someone goes postal and takes his turn through the intersection with the line still coming?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unless it’s a squad car directing traffic I can’t see it being legal. It also wouldn’t be legal to plow into them whether they stop or not.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sounds like another case of Itsallaboutmeitis.

TMF89

The only time it’s legal for a bike to run a red light is if they’ve been sitting there for a decent amount of time, and the light isn’t changing for them. The regs don’t actually give a length of time, so it’s a gray area. I’ve only done it if it’s late at night and there’s no one around. I’m pretty sure what you’re describing isn’t legal, though.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I know exactly what you’re talking about rkd-jim. I’m no LE officer (but I appreciate those that are!) but I highly doubt it’s legal. I’m not painting motorcyclists with one broad stroke, just like we shouldn’t paint any group with one broad stroke based off the actions of a percentage of the group, but it sure seems hypocritical and flies in the face of “start seeing motorcyclists.” Can’t have it both ways, everybody’s gotta follow the law.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Legal, NO…. But ask yourself, if you pull in-between a pack of 20 bikes you will be getting passed by every bike in the next mile until there together again.

Yes I am a motorcycle rider and Yes it happens.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.