Morels 2023

• haleysgold
    SE MN

Anybody finding any yet?

Mushroom tracker reports a couple finds in MN but not many.
    I was out last night for a quick check and came up empty.
    With the warmer temps and the ground is wet, they should be popping soon! yay

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I was just thinking about morels today too! This weekend should be a good weekend to find some. I haven’t found any yet in my normal spots yet, either.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Headed out at 3pm today for a couple hours. I’ll report back with what I find.

For context I’ll be on our hunting land in Wabasha County. I’m targeting the top third of our south facing bluff.

JEREMY
    BP

Im thinking it has to happen soon or its gonna be a bust. Checked the woods at my dads Monday night. Flat thick woods usually about 2 weeks behind everywhere else. Was expecting to find ground temps in the low to mid 40’s. Everywhere I checked temps were 52-64 degrees. Most on the higher end which is already to warm. Assuming has to do with the very little or no frost we had. Fingers crossed but not real optimistic. Ground was surprisingly dry. Eastern Sibley County.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Richland County, wI which is about your Caledonia area of the state. I found tiny grays last weekend. By this weekend with the heat, should be poppin up good

Attachments:
    1. C6F76276-9884-48A9-A3BB-D3B7B928CA5D.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Was just thinking now is the time. I saw some beefsteak morels in NW Wis last weekend.

ThunderLund78

Neighbor found just a few in the Carver area the other day, said the ground was very dry as well. Rain has missed the area to the south and north the last two nights. People debate about lilacs but I always thought they were a pretty accurate indicator. They’re not quite blooming yet. Maybe next week after what sounds like another soaker of a weekend coming…

Jimmy Jones

People debate about lilacs but I always thought they were a pretty accurate indicator.

After several back to back failed indicators based on lilacs, I took a chainsaw to ours, then a shovel. Now I’m using the old “when the oak leaves are the size of squirrels ears” predicter. And if that fails for a couple years, our oak tree needs to come down as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>
    People debate about lilacs but I always thought they were a pretty accurate indicator.

After several back to back failed indicators based on lilacs, I took a chainsaw to ours, then a shovel. Now I’m using the old “when the oak leaves are the size of squirrels ears” predicter. And if that fails for a couple years, our oak tree needs to come down as well.

“1 week after spotting your first hummingbird” was what I was once told.

If tonight is a swing and miss looking, I’ll chamber a few target loads and wait outside.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

“1 week after spotting your first hummingbird” was what I was once told.

If tonight is a swing and miss looking, I’ll chamber a few target loads and wait outside.

I hear there good eating. jester

So I know nothing about mushrooms other than when I was a younger man I tried some a couple times. Okay seriously not asking for spots per say but where would you send a person that knows nothing about it to even look. I might skip opener do to weather and my buddy has a kid graduating college this weekend anyway so thought I might give it a try.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I know nothing about mushrooms other than when I was a younger man I tried some a couple times. Okay seriously not asking for spots per say but where would you send a person that knows nothing about it to even look. I might skip opener do to weather and my buddy has a kid graduating college this weekend anyway so thought I might give it a try.
    [/quote]

Woods along the river is where all mine come from. Pretty close to home for me

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^

I’d find woods areas that have dead/dying elm trees mixed in. No, not all morels are found near these but odds are substantially better in my experience. This early in the season I look at areas with some elevation on South/Southwest facing slopes near the top as the soil warms faster. They are also easier to spot at elevation I find, as by the time they are growing in ditches, ravines, and lower lying areas that warm later…the under brush has really taken off.

If I do find one…I immediately mark it, stop, and look around. It’s quite rare that one randomly grows up by itself. There are times where you may see one originally, with a dozen more scattered in a 20′ or so radius. Then make a mental note of the soil content, general amount of light and elevation, and try to hone in on similar areas along your walk.

Probably 80% of mine are found with a dead or dying elm nearby. I’d say 10% are found with another type of dead or dying tree nearby. The last 10% are fairly random.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I typically look for dead trees, usually elm but not always. The ones with bark still attached but falling off.
    That’s my go to sign for finding them

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I hiked from 3:30 – 5:00 and ended up with 26 morels. They were all average size yellows (3” or so) with a handful of real small ones I left. All were found at elevation on the steepest SE facing side of the bluff.

I’ll let this weekends’ rains do some work and head out again early next week after the sun hammers the wet ground. I forgot to throw in signs to update one of the property lines, so that will be part of the next hike.

I dropped off some for an old neighbor who is always begging for them, and kept 10 to throw on some steaks or burgers this weekend.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did a concrete pour tonight in stillwater, after we hiked a mile of hills near marine on st croix. We saw 0

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I have found more of these than morels

Attachments:
    1. 20230511_095500-scaled.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

I came up with 8 of the little darlins last night. Greys, about 3-4″
    Will be back out tonight to hopefully get enough to go with the steak for supper.
    Forgot to take pics, dag nabbit.

This weekend should be good and hopefully it lasts for a week or so.

What the heck are them yellow shrooms?

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

This is how I
    Did
    Last night pretty elated when I stumbled
    On these

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2298-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_2297-scaled.jpeg

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I came up with 8 of the little darlins last night. Greys, about 3-4″
    Will be back out tonight to hopefully get enough to go with the steak for supper.
    Forgot to take pics, dag nabbit.

This weekend should be good and hopefully it lasts for a week or so.

What the heck are them yellow shrooms?

From what I can find online they are yellow oyster mushrooms

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is how I
    Did
    Last night pretty elated when I stumbled
    On these

Nice morel haul, better shed find! Mark that one on the Onx for this fall!!!

hillhiker
    SE MN

Awesome set of antlers! I managed to fill a bag after work today, and now there’s a nice rib eye on the grill to go with them. If everything goes as planned I’ll be eating some fresh walleye tomorrow night.

Attachments:
    1. 20230519_164543-scaled.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Got on a good patch around Grand Rapids today. We’re going to go tomorrow and then time to start fishing more.

Attachments:
    1. AE992BA8-BF73-44ED-A5E9-EDEF27D04487-scaled.jpeg

2. EABE5E00-F445-4E6E-B64E-2F4BEE26DCA2-scaled.jpeg

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I went out yesterday afternoon for 1 hour to my favorite place and found 4 lbs, I made 3 deliveries to some older folks I know and gave them all the mushrooms I found. I am not big on them but like to go looking in the woods on my deer hunting property

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I went out yesterday afternoon for 1 hour to my favorite place and found 4 lbs, I made 3 deliveries to some older folks I know and gave them all the mushrooms I found. I am not big on them but like to go looking in the woods on my deer hunting property

I am the same way. I personally don’t eat them either but enjoy searching and being in the woods

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.