More exciting than a 30" walleye

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Gearing thing up for next week up on Kab and no doubt my son is excited to go. Twice yesterday while I was getting yard work done he asked for his pole so he could practice. Now the pressure is on to get him on some fish up there. Was proud to see him excited and want to practice, and just be outside in general instead of inside staring at a screen.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190505_164619.jpg

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

We head up to Kab June 15th. My boys got new rods for the trip. They were excited when we put line on their rods.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Have some a-just-a-bubble bobbers sitting in the tackle box not getting used, work quite well for him to practice with in the yard and not hang up on stuff.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

How was the trip? My wife and I are going for 7 days in early August. We are excited, any tips for us first-timers out there?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

How was the trip? My wife and I are going for 7 days in early August. We are excited, any tips for us first-timers out there?

We did quite well, lots of quality slot fish and probably the most keeper size fish we’ve ever had in our spring runs. Good weather all week, two openers in a row now, one of these years I’m sure that’s going to catch up to us and we get a year of the exact opposite weather. From what I hear the eyes have just started moving into a summer pattern in the last week or so. Bring plenty of bug juice, I’m sure they are thick now.
    Tactics in August im not sure on as we only go in May, but anything with chaetruese on it has always been a producer for me color wise.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ll be heading up with the family to the East end of Kab the last 5 days of July, camping in Lost Bay. I’ll try and post a report when we’re back on the 31st.

I’m planning on spending a good amount of my time on West Namakan fishing reefs for eyes, saugers and smallies. That time of year I am looking at 24-32’ and pulling lindys or spinners with both crawlers and leeches. I’m also thinking I may try pulling cranks on either leadcore or snapweights a bit too, just to do some daytime trolling.

Beautiful place, you two will love it!

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing the tip on the chaetruese. Hoping we find the bite is good in early August.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I’ll be heading up with the family to the East end of Kab the last 5 days of July, camping in Lost Bay. I’ll try and post a report when we’re back on the 31st.

We will be at Voyageur Park Lodge. Looked pretty nice on the website, guess we will find out. Would appreciate ya checking back in with a report on the fishing. My wife and I are pretty new at fishing and never been to Kab so any tips are helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.