Mora hand auger

• ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I have an old blue mora hand auger but it doesn’t drill well at all. I picked up some new blades that I thought were the right size but when I got home the blades that are on there are 8″. I bought 7″. I’m going to attach some photos because the 8″ blades go past the end of the flight. Can anyone weigh in on this? Also, can you put lazer blades on a mora flight? Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    1. image45.jpg

2. image44.jpg

3. image43.jpg

milemark_714

Normal.The 7″ and 8″ blades interchange on that drill.

Lazer and mora blades are different.No interchange.I had that blue Mora years ago(7″) and tried the 8″ blades.Very hard drilling by hand.Maybe not for Magilla Gorilla?

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Thanks! So I can put the 7″ blades on and it will work? Hope it makes drilling easier those 8″ blades suck for drilling!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

ewe..flashbacks. If your still having issues with how it ciuts the ice, you may need to shim those blades. My old beat up Mora was notorious for needing shims.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I’m unfortunately not super handy, can you explain how you put the shims on and what kind to use? Also, would this auger work with an electric drill or would it have to be the lazer hand auger flight?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

the thin shims usually come with a pack of new blades. If you put the new blades on and it just lightly shaves the ice, you need to pitch the angle of the blade down towards the ice. If the blades dig in too steep and bite into the ice too much, you shim the opposite way and lesson the angle of pitch

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Shims change the angle of the blade in relation to the ice. We had an old Mora that was like that, too. Spin, and spin, and spin, and get nowhere. Shim the blades a little to make the angle a little steeper, and it cut much better.

We used strips of plastic cut from a plastic bottle. Anything thin and waterproof would work.

Howard Rohda

The mora 8″ has 7″ flights and 8″ blades , I put it on my clam conversion kit and it cuts super fast but you get an uneven hole because there is no centering point on the bottom of the auger and the flights are smaller than the hole which can be a bit dangerous because the blades tend to catch on the bottom of the ice when you’re pulling the auger back up causing you to sometimes move a little left or right and the auger catches on the side of the hole and sucks you down to the ice if you don’t release the trigger fast enough, I tried my buddies 8″lazer with verry sharp blades and the drill always stop just before it’s ready to punch through it happens every time then you have to back out start the drill again to punch through .

catmando
    wis

Keep the blades oiled, don’t bounce auger on the ice, don’t try to cut out an old hole. Go to Craigs list buy a Lazer auger. lol! Not being dink, but there is so much better for very little more, the old Mora was the ticket in its day, but they can be a pain.

Red Eye

Found a old mora in a dumpster. Cut the crank off. Made a drill adapter at work. Got a set of trade in blades and mounted it on my dewalt. Works great early ice. And dam near free

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You will find that running larger blades that the shavings wont clear as well as they will slide back down the gap between the flight and ice. If it becomes a problem in thick ice you may consider going back to the 7.25 blades.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.