Monarch caterpillars.

• buschman
    Pool 2

We are 95% these are young monarchs. I have never seen so many on one leaf. Does anyone know if this is common? They are in out back yard so will be checking back on them each day. We usually only see a couple at a time but are larger then. Maybe a centimeter long when we start finding them.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3555.jpg

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Can’t really tell by the picture. Is it on milkweed? As far as I know a monarch lays one egg on a milkweed leaf. This pic is a monarch caterpillar. I’m thinking they are something else but the leaf kind of looks like milkweed. My daughter used to raise about 50 of them each summer. Good learning project.

Attachments:
    1. mc.jpg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

That was my first thought – I think they only eat milkweed.

Would be fun to catch some to grow. I think its pretty easy, just need a vented container and milkweed leaves.

buschman
    Pool 2

These are on milkweed. They just hatched yesterday from small eggs. My kids usually don’t put the caterpillars in the butterfly house till they are big. This year they wanted to find the eggs before they hatched and think we did. I was just surprised how many there are. We have found a few that are very young caterpillars about a centimeter long this week. They have color then but these are still white and just starting to get color. This is out first time seeing them this young.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

If they turn out to be monarch, you’re gonna need a continuous supply of fresh milkweed for quite awhile for all of those. They eat/pooh like crazy and grow fast.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hard to tell, but I’d be surprised if they were monarchs. Like someone said they spread their eggs out because they’ll starve otherwise. They have ferocious appetites.

I had some growing on a tropical milkweed in the corner. I had to make an emergency trip to buy bushes one Sunday because they had eaten the smaller plants I planted. Just made it before closing. I won’t say how much I paid.

buschman
    Pool 2

Pug, that’s what I am wondering also. We have never seen so many at once and is making us second guess that they are monarchs. We have a good amount of milkweed here. I would guess 70-100 plants within 100 ft of where I took the photo and doesn’t stop beyond that. Here are a couple more photos. I will see if the kids can find a couple that are more mature. I believe this is our second round of monarch eggs this year. They are under the leaf in the center of the photo that is all chewed up. We have never seen a leaf eaten like this before either. Just because of the way that the hard material of the leaf was left behind making it look like a web.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3558.png

2. IMG_3559.png

buschman
    Pool 2

Void this post. These are not monarchs. Looked like 1st day ones that we have seen in photos but the eggs came out of a cluster/sack. We just found the webbed sack. So there’s that. Haha. Monarchs lay single eggs at a time and what you all said makes perfect sense and lines up with what we were just reading also.

I will post a photo in a day or two when they get bigger and maybe have a better idea what these are.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Might be one of those tent caterpillars

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I was gonna vote no on the Monarchs definitely look more like a forest tent or similar variety. Monarchs look like Monarchs from the moment they hatch. We raise tons every year and it’s rare to find 3 or more on one plant. We have a couple stretches of county road that are solid milkweed in the ditch. By mid August it gets sprayed every year, so we go “rescue” the catepillars before they get dusted. Then starts the daily chores of me grabbing some weed on my way home from work….. whistling whistling whistling

Deuces

Tussock moths. Was on my neighborhood FB page too, otherwise I’d have no idea. They say there will be nothing left of your milkweed!

Squish, or use for bait?

shady5

It’s cool that you guys are actively helping the monarch population. Like most ‘desirable’ wild things, they’re being threatened by habitat loss, etc., and can use all the help they can get.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just noticed a small monarch on our tropical milkweed. I only saw one, which is good. I’m not sure this bush is even big enough for one. I’ve been pruning it here and there to encourage it to grow more branches and be less leggy.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If they start getting fuzzy, they’re definitely milkweed tussock moth caterpillars.

jwellsy

I’ve seen more Monarch butterflies this year than any other year that I can recall. We did plant a small butterfly bush this spring that’s been blooming all summer so far.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We are lucky to have a row of trees and shrubs behind us that attracts butterflies, especially when the Brazilian pink pepper tree is blooming. There are also some morning glories, but even absent of flower we see a lot of species flying around.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Walked out this morning and found out the monarch had cocooned in plain site sort of.

This is above a window on the bottom of the boards that meet the stucco.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200831_095426.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.