Modular Snowmobile Helmet

• Andrew Rice

I’m thinking about getting a new helmet, my main use would for snowmobiling out for ice fishing. I’ve had a traditional helmet and still have an open face. The modular style looks like it would lend itself well to ice fishing. Anyone here use one? What are your likes and dislikes of them? I’ve never had an electric shield either and I’m thinking about spending the extra money on the electric shield. I wear glasses so please mention how well your glasses fit in your helmet.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I have a skidoo modular and would never get anything different. It’s probably 10 years old. I have been out of snowmobiling for a few years so I’m not all up an new products. When I had sleds most everyone I rode with had a skidoo modular, even guys that ride other brand sleds. Never had the need for an electric shield. Thousands of miles I rode and cannot ever remember it fogging up. I dont wear glasses so I cannot comment on that.

Good luck, Matt

Andrew Rice

Great info! I remember when those helmets came out, I thought they looked like something a fighter pilot would wear.

The HJC’s have caught my eye.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

My experiences qith them are dated to when they First came out about 10 years ago, they were very heavy but this may have changed. Im a fan of mx style with goggles myself.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

The breath deflector mask on the skidoo helmet is what makes it so effective. I’m not sure other have this option of not?

Just thought I would add that. I looked at the Hjc and unless im missing something I dont see that they have the mask.

Andrew Rice

The breath deflector mask on the skidoo helmet is what makes it so effective. I’m not sure other have this option of not?

Just thought I would add that. I looked at the Hjc and unless im missing something I dont see that they have the mask.

I don’t think they do the breath box as a separate piece like they did on those original modular skidoos’s. It’s built into the helmet as part of the chin part that rotates up. I just looked at 6 different brands on Dennis Kirk and none of them have that skidoo style breath box.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Those skidoo helmets are love hate. They work but are definitely different. I still use HJC helmets with electric shields to ensure a clear view.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the ski doo mod 2 and 3 have the removable breath box. I have a Mod 3 and love it. I lost my breathbox late last year and haven’t replaced it yet. rode last weekend and it wasn’t needed. of course it wasn’t -10 )

the vents are good enough to prevent fogging but in extreme warm or cold the breath box is handy. if you wear glasses which I do the modular is the only way to go. I have a HJC mod helmet also but the ski doo Mod 3 is far better imho.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

hey mike, we rode trego and northeast out by Springbrook last Sunday. trails were good and probably better now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

hey mike, we rode trego and northeast out by Springbrook last Sunday. trails were good and probably better now.

Funny. We trailered from Trego to Brule on Sat and those trails were very nice.
    Thanks for the info. Probably will be ruined after the upcoming warm snap.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

yah, spooner to Uncle mikes were very bare. only corridor was open. we ran into some folks that told us about the trails. we went to wolf point tavern? very good snow. then they got more. hard to say what the traffic will be like.

tswoboda

Modular is the way to go if you’re wearing glasses. A heated shield won’t keep your glasses from fogging, so controlling breath is still going to be important for you.

If you get a helmet with no built in breath box then definitely get a No-Fog breath deflector. I’ve tried a few and the No-Fog has been the most effective, hands down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.